Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #1

1973 24' Argosy 24
dixon , Missouri
avalanche

Been shopping and found my first Airstream, "73" Argosy 24. Keep looking at the driveway, you know the feeling, when something is new, even though it is 33 years old! It is in pretty fair shape and it is ours. Plan on traveling and camping with grand kids for few years to come. Got couple questions, if someone could shout back to me, would really appreciate.
A) Fridge, Dometic, heating coil wires broke off heater so cannot use electric to cool, and also could not keep pilot light going on propane side. Do I spend for repairs or go with a new fridge unit and if new, is it a do it yourself or dealer install. What sort of price for new units?
B) Where in the world do you carry a spare tire for the trailer?
C) I do not have my outside wired yet for plug in, but should the furnace blower work on battery power? cause it did not today, after lighting the furnace.
D) Does anyone have a suggestion on upgrading the tow hitch, anything new or better on the market for towing safely. Recieved the original Reeses hitch and the anti sway is really not safe to use, it has really seen anti-sway use, sockets are bad shape wollered out and the bar itself at lock lever is separating.
E) There is a wall switch just above the sink, previous owner did not know what it powered. Cannot find anything on the wiring or switches in owners manual. Does any one know what this switch is for, not the range hood switch, that is inside cabinate, the lever that opens and closes vent and has a micro switch on it. The light above sink has it`s own switch, so what does this switch operate?
avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
First off welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you trailer
E. Wall switch is most likely for the water pump.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you take a look at the top of the page you will see a blue toolbar. Try the search button to help you look for answers to your specific questions. For example, for tow hitch you can try that phrase, or Hensley or other well known brand to get ideas.

There might be several threads for just Argosys so you might also take a look at those. Lots of reading material here!

Good luck on your new adventure. Please post pictures of your trailer! We love pictures here!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Hi Avy!
Welcome to the forums.......and I assume you're towing with an Avalanche (according to your screen name)!
That is good........even if it's a 1/2 ton! We tow with an Avy 2500 and have had no problems with our 28' CCD. You should have no problems with your 24' Argy! Where are you located? What is your TV? Congrats on your new (to you) Argy.......there are lots of Argosy owners on the forums!
You will learn lots on these forums!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Avalanche -- and welcome to the Forums!

The owners manual actually mentions a possible way out on the spare tire issue. With dual axle trailers you can remove a flat and tow with only 3 tires on the ground if you keep speeds below 40-45mph. This lets you continue to the next town at least.

Yes, the furnace should work on battery power. Search the forums on 'furnace recall' and read this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...fety-7818.html It would be a good idea to replace the furnace if it is original.

Some of the old friction anti-sway units get in pretty rough shape over the years. The Equal-i-zer is spoken of very highly in the Forums.

The fridge sounds in pretty rough shape. I like to get away from it all but still find that a majority of my nights are at plug-in sites. This can be one of the more expensive change-outs but will reward you all the time you own. See www.campingworld.com, search on Dometic. DIY? They're pretty much self contained, but getting it to join with your Argy vent might take some work.

Now that you're hooked I hardly need to say, "Come back often." Enjoy the adventure!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote