Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

1976 25' Caravanner
LOS ANGELES , California
Airstream Newbie with Questions!

Hey All! So excited to be a part of the community! I just bought a 1976 25' Landyacht Caravanner about a month ago. It was in decent shape, but I've decided to do a full gut job and remodel.

This is my absolute first job like this so I will definitely be having lots of questions. I've done my best to search the forum and watch youtube videos to get my answers up until this point...but I'm running into some trouble finding a part.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	335844
I'm looking for the 1" window arm sliders. They appear to be Nylon. They still work, but are eroding and since I'm doing a complete remodel, I'd like to update everything I can for longevity. I'm attaching pics. It is not as easy as just cutting pieces of nylon (if that's what it is). There is a recession on one side for the rivet to slide into and the edges are routed.

Name:	IMG_4363.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	335841

Name:	IMG_4971.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	335842

Name:	IMG_9173 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	523.4 KB
ID:	335843

Name:	IMG_0106 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	335845
Any help would be appreciated! I've check VintageAirstreamSupply and Out-of-Doors

Cheers,
Kirk
kporter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. A 75 Caravanner 25' is rather rare. I have a friend with a 70 Caravanner that he is nearly done with. They have a more open layout some say designed for entertaining. That is a 25' Tradewind also with the more conventional floor plan that includes a separate sleeping area instead of the fold out gauchos.

I'm working on a 75 Overlander 27', one size bigger than yours. I am not doing a gut job. Actually I would be hard pressed to fabricate better "furniture" that what the trailer came with. I really like the aluminum extrusions Airstream used through the interior of my trailer. Lightweight and strong. You can take a gander at my "improvement journal" found on the link below.

Anyways, you might enjoy starting a "project thread" like mine on these Forums. Many enthusiasts follow each others projects through the months and years as we discover this problem or that. I've received a lot of helpful advice on my project thread. They are more general and longer threads as opposed to one question here and there.

Take a look at the Airstream Knowledgebase, then Airstream Trailers toward the bottom of the Forum page. Find Caravanner, and they your year range. Now you can stay up all night reading all about Caravanners. You could start a project thread there and I'll bet folks would like to follow along.

The window guides you need might be available at Inland RV there in California. They specialize in vintage parts and are worth a call. And I might try the Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center. They might have them, or might be able to direct you to a source.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	296
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	335938   Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 As found gaucho 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	335939  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

1976 25' Caravanner
LOS ANGELES , California
Thanks for your lengthy reply David and thank for such a welcoming introduction!

I have the staying up all night mastered already...but now I have more material to chew on.
I actually bought this about a month ago and I have already completely gutted it and have pulled the sub floor out. I have taken apart 17 of the 18 windows (I haven't gotten to the door window yet) and have begun polishing the panels. 2 sets polished so far! Now I'm going to find a 3M Authorized Tint shop to help advise me on the best tint to put back on. I also met with Robert from Vintage Trailer Gaskets and will be reconstructing all of the windows with his materials.

Yours looks great. I really wish I had the extra windows that you have in the front...but it was tough finding one of that length. I love all of the windows these Caravanners have! I'll try to upload my pics of the interior before I took it out. My pics keep turning sideways. I felt bad tearing everything out because I know it was a VERY rare layout - the salon layout with the swivel reclining chair. However, my wife would have never been comfortable in something that had sat for so long and had other "people" all over it. I'm sure it will be a challenging, frustrating but rewarding venture! I did give the major parts, including the gaucho sofas to a guy that refurbishes them out here in exchange for his guidance when needed - so they didn't end up in a landfill.

Thank you for the suggestion on posting my build progress and I know I will have a list of other items I'll need to source...that list is already growing!

I'll reach out to those places you mentioned to see if they have the parts.

Cheers,
Kirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9363.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	335971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9385.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	335972  

Name:	IMG_9368.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	335973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9380.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	335974  

kporter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Very good pictures of your Caravaner interior. The whole thing looks so "space age", definitely not traditional camper. All the soft goods, except the new curtains, in my trailer were spent, full of mold and mildew. We have new foam mattresses and new gaucho foam cushions with coverings. And I have seriously cleaned every square inch of my Overlander.

I found some tambour door parts here on Air Forums Classifieds. I put in a "parts wanted" ad and got good results. Something else to try.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote