Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #1

2006 28' International CCD
East Olympia , Washington
A/C Unit fan not working? Any Ideas?

I have a 2006 28' CCD and recently the A/C unit fan just quit. The compressor works, the heat strip works, but the fan does not. How do I troubleshoot this problem?
lsv16@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsv16@yahoo.
I have a 2006 28' CCD and recently the A/C unit fan just quit. The compressor works, the heat strip works, but the fan does not. How do I troubleshoot this problem?
LVS,

This should be an easy fix....if it's what I think it is. You have to get up on the roof and remove the A/C shroud. There are a bunch or #2 Phillips screws holding it on around the base. Then you need a 5/8" nut driver to remove the control panel cover located on the right side of the unit. (If it's a new unit from Dometic, it might be the new plastic snap-in type). Located just in front of the circuit board, you will see two capacitors, one large and one small. It is the smaller one that you are interested in.

This is the start capacitor for the fan motor and should have a PTCR (positive temperature co-efficient relay) snapped on top. It is the PTCR that usually burns out, taking the attached capacitor and wires with it. A 'hard start kit' is available from your local RV supply store (or from me, as I stock these things). Don't remove it until you have the new one so you can match up where the 2 wires go (it's not hard to do, but you won't know what goes where if you have never done it before).

Also, If your unit is less than 2 years old, it should be a warranty item and if you mess with it neither Dometic nor Airstream will cover it AND will probably void your warranty!!

Better call your dealer or A/S first before you even go into the unit to look!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Believe it or not it could also be a thermostat problem. I had this happen on my SOB. The compressor would run but the fan didn't. The repair person replaced the internal board on the unit. When that didn't work he replaced the thermostat. That was the problem.

You are under warranty, I agree don't fool with it yourself.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote