Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Low point drain

The petcock stripped out in the fresh water drain plug. As shown in the photo there are two and after draining during a hard freeze the wing nut would just spin.

I have worked on unscrewing the plug but although the plug turns, no threads show. Is there a nut inside the water tank that this plug is threaded into?

I don’t want to go to a dealer for this but need the fresh water tank to hold water. As it stands the water runs out whenever Imhave the water pump on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	333740
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Are you sure that is the fresh water tank, and not the galley drains?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Pretty sure it is fresh water. It is just below the water pump and only drains with the pump on. It’s as if the pump is pressurizing the tank because when the pump is off no water comes out.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Those are the galley low point drains on a trailer. My fresh water tank drain is white plastic and between the wheels. It is mounted on the side of the pan.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I do have the white plastic valve also. Not sure I agree that the two drains are gray tank drains because all my tanks are empty except fresh water. I did get the drain closed with pliers after the wings broke off. The hot water bypass valve was also closed. All this winterizing was done by Foley RV while she was in for some body work.

Whatever the cause all is norma now. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I didn't say they are gray water drains....I said galley drains, as in they drain your kitchen fresh water plumbing. That is why an open one leaks when you turn on the pump. It would have leaked on city water as well.

I am glad you got it closed.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Those are the drain plugs for the hot and cold water lines. The plastic one you found is the fresh water tank.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Well I learned something today. Had no idea there were drains for the water lines in the galley. That explains why the flow was so big when the pump was on. Thanks all.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
So how do I replace the one I trashed trying to close?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2002 30' Classic
1995 30' Excella
Ellensburg , Washington
On our 2002 30' Classic we had 2 petcock valves just like you are showing that indeed were the freshwater tank drains. They were located between the wheels.
On our 2018 25' Intl. we have the white plastic freshwater drain and 2 handles for low point drains.
I am thinking that your year and model that these are the freshwater drains like our were. Looks just like them.
dcineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I need to replace the broken valve. Whatever they are attached to is inside the galvanized box. Would I need to cut an opening in the box to gain access. Does anyone have experience doing this job?
Old 02-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I need to replace the broken valve. Whatever they are attached to is inside the galvanized box. Would I need to cut an opening in the box to gain access. Does anyone have experience doing this job?
I don't know the layout of your unit, but on my older Classic, under the closet floor there is access to the lines which run to these valves. It is very tight in there. There is also a small assess plate in the bottom of the fresh water pan which gives you some access to them. The jamb nut in the pan is what holds them to the pan skin.

Patience will be required, but it can be done. You may need to enlarge the bottom pan access, but that's OK.
While you are in there, I would replace the white plastic fresh tank drain with one of these. Sooner or later you will be replacing that drain valve anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRSTREAM-R...d=170856910315

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I’m in the process of replacing my fresh water drain now with one of these from EBay. I have a 2017 FC FB and there is a small access panel behind the wheels. You need to remove 4 sheet metal screws and the access panel. Behind that you will find a sheet of 1/2” styrofoam insulation. You will need to cut that up to remove it. You will now have access to both the fresh water drain and the low point drains. Access is limited and difficult. I plan to stuff some fiberglass insulation back in when I am done.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Thanks. I did note the access panel but it was so small as to seem impractical. I suppose a larger opening would be in order. That’s how Foley RV had to gain access to my black tank valve when it failed. Airstream doesn’t expect people to have to maintain these units otherwise they would be more thoughtful in the design.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks. I did note the access panel but it was so small as to seem impractical. I suppose a larger opening would be in order. That’s how Foley RV had to gain access to my black tank valve when it failed. Airstream doesn’t expect people to have to maintain these units otherwise they would be more thoughtful in the design.
Ah, "design for serviceability". Automakers have gotten quite a bit better with this, while balancing costs....with some marked exceptions along the way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI good photos from GMFL in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...um-113671.html

Not sure if those photos apply to your unit.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- FYI "water tank drain replace" search results using blue box above [in the desktop version of this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...com&gws_rd=ssl
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
The petcock stripped out in the fresh water drain plug. As shown in the photo there are two and after draining during a hard freeze the wing nut would just spin.

I have worked on unscrewing the plug but although the plug turns, no threads show. Is there a nut inside the water tank that this plug is threaded into?

I don’t want to go to a dealer for this but need the fresh water tank to hold water. As it stands the water runs out whenever Imhave the water pump on.

Attachment 333740
I asked this same/similar question a month or two back. I need to remove those two valves and whatever connection there is to the tank cover.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...la-191216.html
Did you figure out how to remove the valve and stop the inaccessible fitting inside the cover from spinning?
If you did, PLEASE share info!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Aren’t we mixing two different things here? The low point drains and the fresh water drain are two separate things.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Well I learned something today. Had no idea there were drains for the water lines in the galley. That explains why the flow was so big when the pump was on. Thanks all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Aren’t we mixing two different things here? The low point drains and the fresh water drain are two separate things.
Yes, some have misunderstood the original post in this thread.
Those two petcocks shown in post #1 are drains for the fresh water pipes, the low point of both hot and cold pipes. On the OP's trailer (and my Excella) these are located where the pipes cross from one side of the trailer to the other. I assume Airstream located them inside the tank cover because that area is somewhat protected from freezing. They are not literally galley drains, but they do drain the fresh water pipes that supply the galley, lavatory, and shower. These do not drain the water tank unless the pump is running.