Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Funny thing is, I picked up my trailer right near there... I could have loaded 7 sheets into the trailer and been working on my floor now. As they say " If I knew then, what I know now"
Could a should a would a... get to work Steve. That trailer is not getting done sitting in the snow. Fire up those kerosene heaters and dry it out, heat it up, and prime it. You built that "pink skirt" so you would be able to work through the winter. If I can lay on the frozen ground and work on mine, well, so can you. Quit talking about floors made of used up ladies stockings and start putting that Ambassador back together.

(for those who do not know, Steve is one of my buddies. I have earned the right to tell him what I think. If I was wasting time talking about baiting the hook, he would give me a smack and tell me to get the line in the water too)
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #22
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Steve,

Looking forward to your evaluation of this flooring stuff!

Good luck,
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Steve,
Looking forward to your evaluation of this flooring stuff!
Michael,

Until Brian or I can provide some feedback, HERE is an interesting side by side comparison video from the mfg's website.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
I've worked at a lumberyard for 19 years and our claim to fame is quality and service. Most of the custom home builders around here use 5 (sometimes we have 7) ply doug fir plywood. We had Advantek a few years ago but not too many takers. That stuff is hard as a rock and very heavy. Try to sink a nail head below the surface. OSB sells big because it's cheaper than plywood. Look at the deck of a house under construction that's been open to the rain and weather. I'm very new to this forum and Airstreams, so maybe I'm off base here, but I would use a good quality (like Roseburg) 5 ply doug fir plywood.

It's also my understanding that the floors were originally 5/8ths (19/32nds) plywood, not 3/4ths (23/32nds). I know others have used 3/4, but don't know if the 1/8 inch makes a difference. Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Tom,

Good comments... they are right on the money! I may end up using what you recommend if shipping the Nyloboard is too much.

Glad to see you are here and commenting.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Tom,
the floor thickness depends on the model year of the trailer. 60's and earlier used 5/8ths. 70's used 3/4.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Chuck, thanks for setting me straight on floor thicknesses on the different years.

Steve, maybe I'm old school, but my experience with plywood, OSB, particle board and some of the composit products out there is fairly good. 5 ply doug fir always gets my vote. As far as Nyloboard goes, I've never heard of it. It may very well be a superior product. I'll call my boss monday and get his take on it. Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the thickness of the floor is 5/8 but there is 1/8 of an inch of compressed insulation in between the floor and the frame....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I get the nyloboard I will post. I am picking it up monday but it won't go in until I get the welding completed. Hopefully that will be next weekend. I am getting tired of this thing sitting not getting finished.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Nyloboard sounds great. I will be looking forward to see your post on the matter.I hate to say it, but before I go to the expense I want to see a test subject. I do hate floor rot.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
When I get the nyloboard I will post. I am picking it up monday but it won't go in until I get the welding completed. Hopefully that will be next weekend. I am getting tired of this thing sitting not getting finished.
Brian,

Planning any trips to the north??? I'll make sure there is plenty of food and drink when you arrive.

So, when can I expect you? ...and my 7 sheets of nyloboard)

Thanks again for finding this cool stuff.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
flexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Previously when we've looked at plastic replacement for plywood it has been strong and light, but not as stiff as plywood, and so it needs more supports under it than plywood, else it flexes underfoot. It will be interesting to see if this stuff performs better.
this would be my biggest concern. may be stronger but more flexible.i would really check this point out.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
To be honest my mother has a cottage in Minoqua Wisconsin. I want get up there. I have the summer off and getting to Minoqua is one of my goals. She is not well and nobody has been to the cottage for two years. It sits on lake Minoqua. Plus I need to get some good cheeze. I miss Wisconsin Cheeze.

Brian
Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The route from Loganville to Minocqua goes right past my house. We have plenty of cheese! and other Wisconsin favorites. If at some point you decide to make the trip send me an email... I'd make it worth yor while.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyandell
What is the cost of Advantech vs Nyloboard? At $140.00 a sheet Nyloboard should far exceed Advantech in quality. If not, why spend the extra dollars. Plus you have to pay shipping from Georgia.
Advantech is about $25 a sheet here and available at all the yards around me. FWIW
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Thanks for the pricing.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Downside of nyloboard

My carpenter friend thinks that wood will " grab " onto a nail better, and wood is more forgiving if the need arises to unscrew and rescrew. He feels that the wood is alive and will expand, eventually, and grab a nail.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
My carpenter friend thinks that wood will " grab " onto a nail better, and wood is more forgiving if the need arises to unscrew and rescrew. He feels that the wood is alive and will expand, eventually, and grab a nail.
I agree, but an A/S floor is not attached with nails.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am committed now to putting the floor in with Nyloboard because I just paid for it and brought it home. It looks great. From feeling it and moving it I have come to the conclusion that it feels like plywood. It has the same flexibility and weighs about the same. I had a opportunity to meet the plant manager and get a complete tour. He told me that they are starting to sell it to motohome manufactures. They are already using it for flooring for other trailers and buildings. It is fire proof and does not give off any poisonous gases. They have a house on the plant grounds built with this board. It has an R factor of 32. They will even sell you a house in parts if you wish to build one. he showed me how it cuts and what it looks like after you cut it. It is hard all the way through. But the test will be when I put it in and how it holds up. The cost was $156.00 with the tax. Pricey but I still want to try it. It does not rot or mildew. It will never become water logged. Made from recycled carpet fibers from the carpet mills in Georgia. I will be the guinea pig so wish me luck

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Brian,

Thanks for the update... I'm glad you made the plunge. It's nice they gave you a tour of the factory. I think the R32 stuff for houses you are referring to is their SIPS. These are structural insulated panels that are made by sandwiching a urethane foam core between two nyloboard skins. These are structural and need no stud framing. They are usually precut in the factory and assembled in the field... another product likely made better by the substitution of nyloboard for the usual OSB.

Any luck with my offer of cheese to lure you to WI?

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor