Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
Jackson Center Frame Rust Mitigation

Hi Gang -

Our 2017 23FB International has quite a bit of rust on the exposed (visible) parts of the frame.

This is due to road salt. I drove it through some nasty weather to (ironically) have interior work performed in Jackson Center in February. A bad idea but here we are.

The newer trailers I believe don’t have fiberglass insulation under the floor so I expect the frame I can’t see is probably ok (disagree?).

The belly pan will eventually rust out but I consider those panels sacrificial protective parts to be replaced in due time.

We don’t have an ideal workspace to do what I want to do, which is grind,
prep., paint and then bedliner the exposed pieces of frame.

Has anyone had exposed frame rust mitigation (ie rust removal/repainting) done at JC? Experiences?
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer_a View Post
Hi Gang -

Our 2017 23FB International has quite a bit of rust on the exposed (visible) parts of the frame.

This is due to road salt. I drove it through some nasty weather to (ironically) have interior work performed in Jackson Center in February. A bad idea but here we are.

The newer trailers I believe don’t have fiberglass insulation under the floor so I expect the frame I can’t see is probably ok (disagree?).

The belly pan will eventually rust out but I consider those panels sacrificial protective parts to be replaced in due time.

We don’t have an ideal workspace to do what I want to do, which is grind,
prep., paint and then bedliner the exposed pieces of frame.

Has anyone had exposed frame rust mitigation (ie rust removal/repainting) done at JC? Experiences?

I have a 2016 fc27 that we bought in 2015. It’s never been driven in snow or salt and I noticed a discerning amount of rust on the underside frame. I contacted as and sent pictures. After a few weeks they got back to me and asked that I bring it in to Jackson center. They cleaned and repainted all the rusty stuff and we are now golden. I heard they had a few other units that came back for a touch up. Hats off to airstream!
foster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Good to know. We have an March 2019 appointment at Jackson Center. One of our issues is frame and suspension corrosion. It came that way off the dealer lot .
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would spray everything steel with Fluid Film.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Without photo's it's hard to judge...but your never going to stop rust on a frame made from a material that will rust... without expending a lot of effort & cash.

The part that is most visible I cover during storage...😂👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_829.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	325609   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4d9.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	325610  

Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Basically, a patina of rust is pretty normal. I spray the frame (where it is exposed) with Corrosion X on a regular basis.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote