Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Wind Mitigation System...ProPride/Hensley or 3rd, 4th best?

I'm still using the basic Husky Weight Distribution and Sway Control System installed by the A/S dealer on my 2014 23D.

I've been reasonably happy with the weight distribution achieved, and the sway control seems to work well with the 2013 RAM 1500.

I experienced very windy conditions returning from New Mexico this week. We were pushed around by the winds and by vehicles with large frontal areas traveling 75-80 mph in New Mexico and Arizona. At one point we were pushed 3 feet into the shoulder by the effects of a big box rental RV traveling at high speed.

Needless to say we are motivated to find a solution.

I understand that the Hensley/ProPride hitches could do the job. I'm a little put off by their prices and possibly by the fact that they cut into the payload capacity of the TV.

I'd love to hear of other systems that do a great job countering wind and vehicle effects.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Next to PPP (choose your brand), Reese Straight Line is the best I've used...but it isn't nearly as good as the PPP design.

I've also used EQ, Drawtite, and some other WD with friction bar (don't recall brands). They are down the "effective list" for me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
ProPride or Hensley (my preference would be ProPride simply because it's the latest technology) will be your best bet.

However, understand that if the wind you experienced pushed you around to a level of 10 (on a 0 to 10 scale), don't expect either of the above hitches to take it to a zero level. They are better, but not that good.

Your next bet would be the Reese Straight line like Rich says, however adjusting it to work right is a genuine PITA, if you ever do get it right.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've been using a Reese for about 7,000 miles and have towed in windy conditions (probably not as windy as during your incident.) I find that in high winds the Reese does an excellent job of keeping the rig straight as an arrow. In fact, on several occasions after a couple hours of easy towing, I've been surprised at a potty/gas break at how windy conditions are on the outside of the tow vehicle.

When I am passed by a big truck, I do notice a small tug towards the passing vehicle, but I would say that the amount we are pulled off track is a matter of a couple inches at most.

If I had been pushed off the road and into the breakdown lane by a passing truck, I think I would be giving serious thought to getting into another "hobby."
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Is that a Husky Centerline? Or, is it their basic bottom-line hitch?

I've never experienced sway or even a feeling of being pushed whatsoever anywhere I've towed all over the USA including 50mph gusty sidewinds towing my 19ft (which isn't much different than a 23ft) with my SSR using the Centerline hitch. The SSR weighs 5000lbs; hefty but not as much as your Ram. I tow about 70-75mph and haven't ever experienced any inkling of sway let alone being pushed around by other vehicles. But, then again, if your hitch isn't set up near perfectly with proper weight distribution, it's near impossible to eliminate such problems.

But then again, I have the Husky Centerline...it's unlike any other hitch with its built-in sway control. It really works well.

What model Husky do you have?
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75TH BAMBI View Post
Is that a Husky Centerline? Or, is it their basic bottom-line hitch?

I've never experienced sway or even a feeling of being pushed whatsoever anywhere I've towed all over the USA including 50mph gusty sidewinds towing my 19ft (which isn't much different than a 23ft) with my SSR using the Centerline hitch. The SSR weighs 5000lbs; hefty but not as much as your Ram. I tow about 70-75mph and haven't ever experienced any inkling of sway let alone being pushed around by other vehicles. But, then again, if your hitch isn't set up near perfectly with proper weight distribution, it's near impossible to eliminate such problems.

But then again, I have the Husky Centerline...it's unlike any other hitch with its built-in sway control. It really works well.

What model Husky do you have?
We have the basic Husky with chain adjusted WD bars and friction sway control.

Our 2013 19 was a breeze in the wind. The increased surface area of the 23D has apparently made a big difference.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Ah...I figured it was the basic Husky. The Centerline is an amazing hitch; I've neither had nor heard of any incidents of any towing problems, sway, pushing, or concerns whatsoever with this hitch. I've got about 30,000 towing miles on mine so far. Best hitch I've ever used.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Only the Hensley/ProPride design projects any push or sway forces to your rear truck axle where it is stabilized. On all others any push or sway forces are on the hitch ball where they are leveraged forward to the front (steering) truck axle. They all have various devices to reduce these effects, but whatever remains is felt at the front (steering) axle.

A long wheelbase to short rear overhang tow vehicle, as well as stiff sidewall tow vehicle tires, will stabilize push or sway forces but not eliminate them. Only the Hensley/ProPride design will do that.

We have been traveling the past several days with our ProPride and 2012 Ram 1500 reg cab short wheelbase; side winds and semi's passing are of no concern on this trip or others in much worse conditions.

Remember the Hensley/ProPride payload penalty is only the difference in weight between your present hitch and it's weight, less whatever of that difference is distributed to the trailer axles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Like Doug, I tow with a 3P and a '14 Ram with Cummins. After more than 15,000 miles with this set up I agree with what he says 100%. I went through some really heavy storms in Arizona this last summer -- and hundreds of semis blowing by. Never felt any sway. None.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Wind Mitigation System...ProPride/Hensley or 3rd, 4th best?

Just a note, Used Hensley Arrows sell on ebay for about $1,500 regularly.

I got a good one for $1,400 delivered.

In my experience, these articulated hitches make towing better by changing the character of the combination.

It makes a hitch mount trailer tow and feel like a fifth wheel.

Just an FYI, a used Hensley bought from other than Hensley will NOT have its lifetime guarantee and will not be eligible for the stinger exchange program.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I'm leaning towards the ProPride 3P. It sounds like a good solution for the 1/2 ton TV and will transfer to future 3/4 ton TV, larger AS upgrade.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Another question. How critical is it that the AS and TV lie on the same plane when attaching the ProPride 3P? My drive slants slightly up from the level trailer port. This has worked OK with the Husky system but not sure about the ProPride 3P.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
When I am passed by a big truck, I do notice a small tug towards the passing vehicle, but I would say that the amount we are pulled off track is a matter of a couple inches at most.

If I had been pushed off the road and into the breakdown lane by a passing truck, I think I would be giving serious thought to getting into another "hobby."
Hi, Like the above statements in high winds, or the wake from a big box, my trailer and tow vehicle only move a few inches. Wind is wind and a hitch can't stop that. [they stop sway] A million dollar hitch won't stop gusts of wind from moving you over, but three feet is way too much, or possibly caused by over reacting to the situation.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
My limited towing experience (a few thousand miles) taught me early on that a too rigid connection (in my case 1200 pound bars) caused sway starting at 60mph and instability by passing trucks.
Once I changed to 800 pound bars, everything changed to a safe and pleasant towing experience.
I tow a 34' triple axle with a 1 ton extended van. The length of my TV and trailer is about 55' and I use a reese dual cam WD system.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Another question. How critical is it that the AS and TV lie on the same plane when attaching the ProPride 3P? My drive slants slightly up from the level trailer port. This has worked OK with the Husky system but not sure about the ProPride 3P.
I no longer have a ProPride hitch, but I did tow with one for about 50,000 miles a few years ago, and one of the issues with both the Hensley and the ProPride is the difficulty in hitching up when not on the level. I remember two instances where it took me over thirty minutes to get hitched up because the tow vehicle were on a different slope from the trailer.

The other issue I had with the hitch was really created by the brake controller in my Dodge truck not being a good proportional unit, and when the brakes were applied quickly, it caused the ProPride yoke to slip and loose alignment. However, I never had that problem before I got the Dodge. I no longer have the Dodge brake controller.

About wind and a ProPride, it will still be felt when you are hit with a big gust of wind, it just won't cause a sway. I remember one time traveling thru West Texas and being hit by a large dust devil, or whirlwind, and there was no sway, but the whole rig was moved over about a foot. So I guess my point is, nothing will completely overcome strong forces of nature.

I've now been using a Reese SC hitch for two seasons, and although it is a simple friction sway control hitch, I have had no problems with sway at all. It is lighter than the ProPride, easy to hitch up, and simple. But it is what I would call difficult to get setup properly initially.

Good luck with your hitch selection, and I will only say that all WD hitches work, all sway control devises work, some better than others, and the setup of the hitch is more important than the type of hitch, IMHO.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Like the above statements in high winds, or the wake from a big box, my trailer and tow vehicle only move a few inches. Wind is wind and a hitch can't stop that. [they stop sway] A million dollar hitch won't stop gusts of wind from moving you over, but three feet is way too much, or possibly caused by over reacting to the situation.
I wish you could drive a Hensley or ProPride setup, I think you would be surprised. Things don't move much if at all in even the worst sidewind/semi passing condition. You'll have a smile on your face how uneventful it is to tow.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I wish you could drive a Hensley or ProPride setup, I think you would be surprised. Things don't move much if at all in even the worst sidewind/semi passing condition. You'll have a smile on your face how uneventful it is to tow.
Hi, Doug; That's my point, or one of them. I've never had any incidents with my set-up so I don't know how I would feel any difference. I said to myself, years ago, if my Equal-I-zer ever failed I would buy a Propride. Ten years and all is well. Maybe when I'm able to tow with my new truck, things might be different.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
wind mitigation system : hensley hitch/pro-pride

Did you read the post by "Foiled Again" ( posted on 10-16) about the 5 hour hitch fiasco she had with her Hensley hitch?
A camper recently told me he had a Hensley and had some problems with it. It is guaranteed for life but the "hitch" is you have to pay for shipping for them to check out the problem. It cost too much, so it is sitting in his shed.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, we had an Equal-I-Zer and it was okay as well, and now the ProPride. There is difference in normal use, a great difference when the side winds are strong and the big rigs pass.

wolf, the 5-hour fiasco is something she got into and you should read all the thread. She still likes her hitch and is learning something about it. The "secret" to hitching is alignment, it won't go in if it's not aligned and that's not hard to do. Your friend the camper is passing worthless information. You should try one for yourself, I am sure you will like it as well. It's the best money we have spent on our Airstream.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
We use a digital angle guage, which I read about on the Forum. When we have the TT and TV on different planes, we measure the angle of the stinger. Then we zero out the guage, place it on the PP and move the jacks on the PP until the hitch is at the same angle as the stinger. The stinger then always slips right in to the hitch. Not a problem at all.
Tintini is offline   Reply With Quote