Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
How much POR-15?

Can someone give me a ball park as to how much I'll need to do the frame on my 27' Overlander? That stuff is pretty spendy, I don't want to order a gallon if all I need is a quart and a half. Thanks!

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
According to information from Vintage Trailer Supply, a four ounce can in their starter kit will cover six square feet with two coats. Two coats is recommended, with only an hour or two between coats.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
Don't forget to buy some gloves, it takes forever to come off.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
I done a frame on 55 Chevy nomad with a qt and had plenty left over it cover good and thin as water
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I bought one of those high priced gallons of POR 15. I put two coats on my 24' Trade Wind. I brushed it on. The stuff is as thin as water. A little goes a long way. I used less than a half a gallon on mine.

I would think you will need all of two quarts. But you need it on hand while you are doing the job. So I bought extra to make sure I had enough. On a 27, I'd buy three quarts. The trouble is the pricing structure. I'll bet a gallon is cheaper that three quarts.

If I did another frame, I might buy one quart, paint half of that quart on and then stop. Go back and put the second coat on the part that I covered. Then you could better estimate how much more you will need to finish. POR 15 is very strict on how its applied. This method might save money if you don't mind waiting for more POR 15 to finish the job.

POR 15 is magic stuff. I can see how it protects the frame from future rust. But it is a nasty job to brush on while laying on your back under the trailer. Drip, drip, drip.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
I used 2 quarts on my 28 ambassador and will need to get one more for finish up stuff
when i flipped the frame over i found a few spots i missed not once but twice .It did used all of the 2 quarts to cover twice though. It heled to use plastic wrap between the lid and can when putting it away . It will weld the lid to the can if the opening is messy.
JCPOTTERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
I bought a gallon can of POR-15 and some empty quart cans for leftovers. I used 3 quarts on my 22' Safari frame. Just pour small amounts into your paint source tray at a time. Especially if it's a hot day. I dripped a drop of sweat in my tray and had to discard it.

Used some of the 4th quart last week to go over some interior corrosion.

I bought way too much of the degreaser and etcher...quart of each will probably do.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Right in the middle of doing my 26'.
Looks like two quarts will do it but I'm
only putting 2 coats on areas that will
be exposed, bumper channel, tongue
and wheel well's.
It's easy to miss spots (called "holidays"
and as it's very viscous runs and drips are
a given.
Notes: it's toxic stuff, wear a respirator, paint
suit and gloves.
Shake well as the "good stuff" settles.
Don't leave the can open for long...decant
into pot.
Try to use up a can fully or enough air will
cause the surface to skin over like a rock. Or
decant into a smaller glass jar.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Wipe any excess out of the paint can rim or you will never get the lid back off also check the web site for a dealer near you a few bucks more but kinda handy to just drive down and pickup what you need we have a dune buggy place that keeps it in stock
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Buy it by the quart, and just punch a hole in the lid to pour into a separate container what you will use. Then, a piece of tape over the hole, and put it in the refrigerator... Lasted a year that way for me.

-Red, taking his time frame painting...
Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Red - don't mistake the POR-15 for salad dressing some dark evening! You should start a thread for folks to list all the weird non food items stored in the fridge, especially an Airstream fridge. Worms and leaches might be in our fridge during fishing opener.

Good tip on sealing up a POR 15 quart can.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Red - don't mistake the POR-15 for salad dressing some dark evening! You should start a thread for folks to list all the weird non food items stored in the fridge, especially an Airstream fridge. Worms and leaches might be in our fridge during fishing opener.

Good tip on sealing up a POR 15 quart can.

David

I did make the mistake of not wearing rubber gloves the first time I used it. Do you know that NOTHING will take that stuff off your skin?

-Red, the gray handed...
Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
GlamperGirl

Del, your yachting experience really shows through. You are so careful and helpful.
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Thanks to all for your responses. I ended up ordering the 4 qt. special from Por 15.com, that way I can open just what I need, with no worries about running short or having it dry out or glue the can closed . Hopefully, it'll arrive just as I'm ready for it.

News flash: the shell is OFF the frame ! My little sister came over this weekend for the game and to help, while she was getting the last of the rivets and bolts out, I got the rest of my lift stuff in place. A few minor hang-ups, but we had it in the air by about 5:30 last night . Turns out the deck was in much worse shape than I realized, lots of areas that looked okay on the top were rotten on the bottom. It also looks like we were 1 or 2 pot holes away from a major rear end separation . So although I still haven't gotten to the frame yet, I'm really glad I started this project, and that it's moving right along. Later.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Dave, hope you keep us updated on your frame/floor inspection/rehab process. I'll be especially interested in just how much Por 15 you do end up using. I'll be starting my own shell-off re-do in about two months. As of now the frame looks okay, but I want to refinish it and add a few strengthening points to it. I'm debating whether to pain the Por or spray it.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
GlamperGirl

Shell off!! Congrats! It was shocking to me when I found most of my channel separated from the wood with a gentle lift from my crow bar. The shell was barely attached at the rear.
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote