Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
Smile Pricing on Caravel

Should I even consider to deal for a new Caravel?

They said their best offer is a couple of thousand dollars off from MSRP as this model is new and demand is very high. I have not pulled the trigget yet because I read in this forum about 15-20% discount... Thank you.
Latte-Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I looked at a Caravel 20FB in the Seattle area and was told the same thing. I’m sure the price will come down in September and into the fall. I’d rather get a better deal than jump on the first round of units produced at a higher price.
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
You'll probably have a hard time getting a great price on a Caravel right now. It's all about supply and demand, and right now the demand is high and supply is low. If you're able to wait you'd almost certainly get a better price this winter.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte-Mocha View Post
Should I even consider to deal for a new Caravel?

They said their best offer is a couple of thousand dollars off from MSRP as this model is new and demand is very high. I have not pulled the trigget yet because I read in this forum about 15-20% discount... Thank you.
Welcome to the forum!

As others have said . . . supply and demand . . . better discounts on a new model in a few months . . . also . . . better not to buy a new design/model when it first comes out IMO.

Have you considered a gently used 20' Flying Cloud? Best kitchen in any model until you get to 25' IMO. What length Caravel interests you? They are quite different [16/19/20/22].

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I looked at a Caravel 20FB in the Seattle area and was told the same thing. I’m sure the price will come down in September and into the fall. I’d rather get a better deal than jump on the first round of units produced at a higher price.
Thanks. We probably went to the same dealership since I am in the region. Yea, I think I will wait until Fall-Winter for better deal.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

As others have said . . . supply and demand . . . better discounts on a new model in a few months . . . also . . . better not to buy a new design/model when it first comes out IMO.

Have you considered a gently used 20' Flying Cloud? Best kitchen in any model until you get to 25' IMO. What length Caravel interests you? They are quite different [16/19/20/22].

Good luck,

Peter
Thanks! We are looking for 19' FC or Caravel. (this is due to my towing vehicle: Volvo XC90)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks . . . good luck in your search.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
I expanded to my search to dealership in Oregon (about 4.5 hrs away) and they gave me a pretty good deal on 2020 Caravel they have in the lot. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
I expanded to my search to dealership in Oregon (about 4.5 hrs away) and they gave me a pretty good deal on 2020 Caravel they have in the lot. Thank you.
If the Oregon dealer doesn’t work for some reason check with the Spokane dealer. While they are a smaller dealer they are very price competitive. And all around great folks as well.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:

Are you willing to share how much off MSRP they gave you? Also, congrats!
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Seattle , WA
I’ll PM you since you are in the same area.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
We spoke with 3 dealers and finally go a deal we were really happy with. We said we would spend money with a dealer that didn't have one yet if they hit our price. We had to wait two months though which is driving us crazy. We want to go have fun now while the leaves are changing. (2 more weeks)

Oh, we got the 20FB Caravel. Apparently the mothership is building a ton of Caravels this month.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Thanks! We are looking for 19' FC or Caravel. (this is due to my towing vehicle: Volvo XC90)
What is the towing capacity of your Volvo XC90?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Wanted to follow up on this thread. I too am now in the market for a Caravel (either the 20FB or 22FB). I found that Colonial Airstream had several available in a range of sizes this part March/April but by June they were all sold out of single axle trailers. They have a another group of Caravels arriving in July but they have all been pre purchased. Any opinions on when would be the best time to purchase? I am not in a rush but would like to have something ready by this coming Fall/early winter With plan of hitting the road next spring.

After speaking to the dealership, I learned that many of these purchases were made by first time RV owners. I am hoping these folks were looking for an alternative to their summer plans and come the fall some of these first time buyers realize that the RV life is not for them and are eager to sell. Am I being too optimistic? Or should I just negotiate the best price for the Caravel I want the moment it becomes available?

Thanks everyone. So happy I found this forum. I thought I knew something about trailer life, but have learned so much already about what to look for, tips, tricks and more. 🥰
HUDSEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
If you are looking at the 2020's, wait till the 2021's are launched and then the prices will come down as the 2020's will be considered last year's models.

That's what we did with our 2019 Sport. We found one new one (last one) next to the 2020's it was about $10k less marked down so this made sense for us. So we got a brand new trailer a couple of months ago but older technology than the current models.

There are a few things that we wanted that the 2020's didn't give us.
- The narrower width was one for our towing situation. (8 inches narrower)
- A bit lighter as well (maybe ~200 lbs lighter in the dry weight).
- Then there was the all important 3-way fridge that has been discontinued after 2019 (propane powered fridge really helps when unplugged).

It is worth waiting to save significant dollars and still get something new.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
If you are looking at the 2020's, wait till the 2021's are launched and then the prices will come down as the 2020's will be considered last year's models.

That's what we did with our 2019 Sport. We found one new one (last one) next to the 2020's it was about $10k less marked down so this made sense for us. So we got a brand new trailer a couple of months ago but older technology than the current models.

There are a few things that we wanted that the 2020's didn't give us.
- The narrower width was one for our towing situation. (8 inches narrower)
- A bit lighter as well (maybe ~200 lbs lighter in the dry weight).
- Then there was the all important 3-way fridge that has been discontinued after 2019 (propane powered fridge really helps when unplugged).

It is worth waiting to save significant dollars and still get something new.
Normally I would agree but not this year. I believe there won’t be any single axle 2020s when the 2021s arrive.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
This could be an unusual year with the demand up by about 4 times. So if the single axle trailers are all snapped up, that could affect the dealers’ desire to negotiate.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Might have found the Caravel I am looking for, no just waiting for them to send me price and financing options. The couple that ordered it changed their minds and went with something bigger and now this unit is on the lot and ready. Not sure what my counter should be?

Anyone got some solid advice?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUDSEEZ View Post
Might have found the Caravel I am looking for, no just waiting for them to send me price and financing options. The couple that ordered it changed their minds and went with something bigger and now this unit is on the lot and ready. Not sure what my counter should be?

Anyone got some solid advice?
From where? Are your talking about Colonial? if you don’t know the price you for certain would not know what to counter.

Just curious. Why is Brooklyn in all caps?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
I have found one in Arizona. They have quoted me a price, just waiting to see what the financing would look like. Colonial is not getting any more in until the fall.

Oh, and all the caps was a typo, autocorrect when setting up my account

Tags
caravel