Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Somewhere , Virginia
New purchase trailer check questions

Question for the group.
I know everyone takes their new Airstream out for a shake down trip soon after taking delivery of the trailer. However, when purchasing a new Airstream from a dealership do you normally check to make sure "everything" works on the new trailer before you sign the paperwork for the purchase?
larrysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Absolutely. You don’t want to have to deal with fixes after the paper work and the transaction is complete. Before signing is when to get any issues addressed.
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysun View Post
Question for the group.

I know everyone takes their new Airstream out for a shake down trip soon after taking delivery of the trailer. However, when purchasing a new Airstream from a dealership do you normally check to make sure "everything" works on the new trailer before you sign the paperwork for the purchase?

Absolutely yes. Before you accept the trailer it is normal practice to go thru every system on the rig. New Airstreams in fact come with a checklist to make sure you check everything. The challenge is that you will be excited to take your new rig home and will be tempted to rush it, but twist that temptation. Use the checklist. Faster to get things fixed then rather than having to come back and wait for an appointment. On my new 2020 Classic 33FB, the city water did not work, the outlets in the bedroom that were supposed to be on the inverter were not, etc. the shake down trip will find other items that are not up to par, such as the folding steps broke, and one of the fantastic fans starting making a loud noise, etc.
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCols View Post
Absolutely yes. Before you accept the trailer it is normal practice to go thru every system on the rig. New Airstreams in fact come with a checklist to make sure you check everything. The challenge is that you will be excited to take your new rig home and will be tempted to rush it, but twist that temptation. Use the checklist. Faster to get things fixed then rather than having to come back and wait for an appointment. On my new 2020 Classic 33FB, the city water did not work, the outlets in the bedroom that were supposed to be on the inverter were not, etc. the shake down trip will find other items that are not up to par, such as the folding steps broke, and one of the fantastic fans starting making a loud noise, etc.

‘Resist’, not twist. Autocorrect got me.
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Do Not Pay First!

I spent four hours inspecting mine at the dealer with full hook-ups. I brought tools, ladder, flashlight, multi-meter, ground padding, torque wrench and my own hitch that I installed and towed the trailer with before writing the check.

The dealer was a six hour drive for me, I stayed in a hotel the night before and had an early morning appointment. I was fully prepared to walk away.

As soon as you pay, you have lost all the leverage you will ever have. If the dealer does not want to cooperate, go elsewhere.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

HENDERSON , Kentucky
Inspection

We spent the night on the dealerships lot in the Airstream. Everything seemed to be OK. However, as a newbie, I failed to check a very important component, the water heater on propane!

Since that working properly was essential for boondocking, it was a crucial mistake on my part. Our Airstreams mother ship is a 6 hr. Drive from home. What compounded the mistake, was that I did not discover this failure until after I had already made the 12 hr round trip to address other small warranty issues.

Luckily, when we embarked on our 1st trip where we would be boondocking, I was fortunate enough to find an Airstream dealer along the way to Florida, who got me in & on the way in a couple of hours. They replaced a faulty control board in the water heater under warranty.

So, yes, checking EVERYTHING can save you a lot of headaches later.

Steve & Gail
stwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Airstream Inspection Guide

Air trailer inspection.pdf I have attached an AS inspection guide
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
If you don’t feel comfortable inspecting your new trailer you can hire a third party inspector from NRVIA.org to inspect your new trailer before you sign the final paperwork. The inspector that inspected our trailer for the buyer told me that 60% of his jobs were on new rigs.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Great Dealerships DO... 100% walk throughs

Quote:
Question for the group.

Las Vegas Airstream in Henderson Nevada, the Service Manager gave us a 100% operational walk through of our new 2019 Airstream on the LOT... before we paid and settled the purchase. They had our deposit and paperwork all ready to complete the sale.

This included a 'red carpet' to our 2019 27 foot International. The fresh water tank was filled. Water tank heated. Water lines bled of air in the lines.

We went though everything from Solar, Air Conditioning, Electronics, 3 inch Lift Kit, Equalizer Hitch setup to our F350, how to operate every thing, Refrigerator operating on Propane, interior lighting... everything.

When we looked through the lot, Nancy inspected the Interior. I did the exterior with a ladder and even checked under the trailer with my 40" Creeper. We did pass on several trailers just from our observations.

We were previous Airstream Owners and knew from experience what to check and what we were looking for to be fully operational.

Even the windows, curtains and cabinet hinges... we checked each and every one.

The Airstream was 100% operational. Was this included in the price? It sure was not added, once we agreed on our negotiated price. Come on... everything is in the price. You paid for delivery of the Airstream to the Dealer, as well. Just do not pay for a Dealer Show and Tell... AFTER you settle on a price. This should be included.

With the Covid19 many employees at Trailer Dealerships have been laid off since business in the new sales is limping along with fewer from Jackson Center being delivered and need pre sales to even be on the LIST for Delivery.

Require a 100% operational walk through. If not... then it becomes your problem after the fact. The incentive for a Dealer is gone when now... Warranty Repairs and the Waiting List of other trailers needing warranty work or upgrades or repairs is your only future option.

If the Dealer hesitates... your future plans may also be altered... case by case and you may find yourself delaying your Maiden Voyage, canceling all the RV Park reservations for some day in the future to work in the yard trimming bushes.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Question for the group.

Airstream of Las Vegas is a 5 Rivet Dealership and will give you a full walk through of your new Rig. I think when people buy used Airstreams it’s really important to get a pre delivery inspection before taking delivery.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
Yes. Plan on spending an hour or more at the dealership. Let the dealership know you want someone to meet with you to go over all systems. Put water in the tank and try faucets, pump etc. for any leaks. Be ready to get down and check the under pan. Plug it in and check all lights and switches. Check to see that the propane tanks have been filled. Take pen, paper glasses and patience. The dealship will have you sign off that all was in order. We had to have some things taken care of before we took it home. Even though it was new, there were a few little things that needed to be taken care of. Have the sales person or associate go over how to use all the systems and take notes. Open the awning, check for a spare tire. Take a cell phone picture of the hitch set up for reference. Whew.... now have fun on your first trip!
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Print This Off and Bring it With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Attachment 376423 I have attached an AS inspection guide
This is the list I went by also. It took a little over 4 hours with a good friend who is a licensed home inspector. He said it normally takes less than 2 hours. Don't let them rush you. Take videos too.

Good Luck!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote