Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Advice on fair price for 1961 Bambi

I'm looking for a smaller unit to convert into a mobile ice-cream vending business in NZ and have been searching from New Zealand. I am aiming to buy a unit that fits into a shipping container to help bring down transportation costs.

I am working with a person that restores and sells airstreams and they have offered a early 60s 16" Bambi. The asking price is $17,000 usd with the following work done on it:

- dent free detailed and polished exterior
- gutted interior (with existing wiring
- sandblasting the bumper and tongue and painting it with the Airstream Grey.
- Servicing the axle and brakes.
- All new Exterior lights and connector.
- Door Step refurbished or replaced.
- It needs part of the subfloor replaced and a few other things including 5 new exterior panels installed.
- Windows are refurbished and in good working condition.
- frame strengthened at the entry

I have not yet seen pictures but have asked for them. I have also asked about the condition of the frame underneath as I don't want any hint of rust.

I could probably ask for the unit not to be gutted and do this myself.

Any thoughts on this price? My guess is that the seller is prob making around 4-5K on the job.

Appreciate any feedback.
Sarah

PS. I am also truely questioning (that if purchased) how on earth I can bear to cut a vending hole into the side of a 1960s Bambi. I can see myself buying two of them !
Redraspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Way to much! Look around more. I think there is one, with all the mods you describe, for sale here or on Ebay. It may be in the Austin Texas Craigs list too.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You would find a Caravel to be only one foot longer, but a lot of money cheaper! I'd look for that too. I agree with Melody Ranch that the price is far to high for a gutted Bambi.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a fully finished ready-to-camp Bambi! Yikes! You can do much better. Consider that you are looking in the dead of winter, when a lot of people don't even bother to try and sell their trailers. There will be a lot more available in the spring.

For the past year I have regularly seen someone in our area (Oregon/Washington) trying to sell an already gutted trailer that they began to convert to food service use. I think it was a Caravel. And it was a lot less money - like under $5k - which I thought was asking too much, which is why they've been advertising it so long. Seeing gutted trailers for sale is not an unusual thing, and seeing ones that have been converted (or began conversion and stopped) is not too unusual either.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses. I will keep looking !

Stephanie: have you seen that trailer still for sale?

Becky: the Caravel would be ideal actually and prob better length.

Melody: thanks for the feedback, you can spot the novice cant you!!

Is Craigs List local listings the best source for searching? What does everyone think a fair price would be for a trailer (caravel, bambi ) with good exterior condition and not so good interior?

Thnaks again!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The 1960's and 50's were narrow bodies which will fit a container. The Caravels, the Safari and Globetrotters were the shorter ones. There are several on Ebay and here in the Forums now for sale. Craigslist is a quagmire of crooks and shady dealers....there are good folks there too....but NEVER buy from them unseen and NEVER send them money.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would enlist the help of some Airstream forum members when you think that you have found the right one. You really need somebody to put an eyeball on it for you and take lots of photos, so you know what you are getting.

Good luck on your search.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Thanks Melody, the max width for a container is 7.64 feet or 92inches. The safari is a bit long, but the globetrotter is a great size. Where on the forum can I find the volunteer inspector list, i cant seem to find it.
Cheers, sarah
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi Dan, good advice thats exactly what i will do. For a container the unit has to be max width of 7.64 feet or 92 inches. A container width is 8ft, so not alot of clearance on the wider models. I won't totally discount Roll on roll off cargo, but this turns the shipping cost from 2500usd into 8300usd.

Cheers
Sarah
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraspberry View Post
Thanks Melody, the max width for a container is 7.64 feet or 92inches. The safari is a bit long, but the globetrotter is a great size. Where on the forum can I find the volunteer inspector list, i cant seem to find it.
Cheers, sarah
What about the height? I would think that will be a big problem with any year trailer. What is the height allowed for a container?
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Here's a Globetrotter on ebay that's listed right now:

1964 Airstream Globetrotter -- (19 ft.) in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

Much less expensive than $17,000!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Cheers, sarah
Looking up container sizes I found this quote "Door size is 7.48ft height x 7.64ft width (2.28m height x 2.33m width)"
I don't know of any trailer that would fit through that door size, even the Bambi is higher, sorry.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
The 1960's Bambi's are very collectable. You pay a lot more just because it is a Bambi.
Look at the Safari or Caravell 1960's trailers. You'll find them at much more reasonable prices and they were not much bigger.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Stephanie: have you seen that trailer still for sale?
I watch the ads regularly (just for fun, I'm not actually looking for another trailer), so if I see it again I will let you know.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the great comments. I am going to keep my eyes open for a smaller trailer 17-19' (i know they are harder to find) , ideally an abandoned project. After having kept my eyes on the forum for a few weeks now, I see that half done projects do appear every now and then and I might just have to be patient.

I am enjoying the forum though!

Sarah
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
sarah,

something to keep in mind. i dont know about in NZ, but in the US, there are certain requirements for food vendors. now if you are just selling ice cream and not actually cooking anything, you might need less equipment. but in my research, nearly any vintage trailer you buy for food service will need the frame beefed up to handle the weight (and a new axle to handle the weight). So anticipate what you will need to put in the trailer and know what weight you need...

you may as well find one in the worst condition, already gutted, etc. you might also look at avions, i tend to see them sell for less $$ (but i rarely see short ones) and most people can't tell they aren't airstreams once polished. the accomplish the same end effect.

also...then you're not chopping an airstream

Agreed the price is far, far too high. I'd almost sell you my GT for that price.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are not to hung up on it being silver. Look at an Argosy Minuet. They were made in the 70's. You could always have it painted silver.
It's much easier to keep a painted trailer looking nice. Keeping an A$ looking shiny all the time is a lot of work.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi NJtoNC
Thanks for the advice, that really makes sense. I feel that I need to use the services of a good, well respected restorer to help me refurbish an old trailer - definately new axel and ensuring subfloor is in good condition or rebuilt and making sure windows etc work .

I do like the minuet's aswell - good advice ! Then I can keep the airstream for myself

Sarah
Old 08-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Napier , Hawkes Bay
Quote:
Hi NJtoNC
Thanks for the advice, that really makes sense. I feel that I need to use the services of a good, well respected restorer to help me refurbish an old trailer - definately new axel and ensuring subfloor is in good condition or rebuilt and making sure windows etc work .

I do like the minuet's aswell - good advice ! Then I can keep the airstream for myself

Sarah
We have been told you can take a photo of a beautiful shiny airstream and you can have a digital wrap made and applied.
Behappy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Cheers, sarah
Hi Sarah,

Two comments. One, if you need help inspecting a potential purchase please check us out. We are now signing up inspectors all over the US to inspect vintage trailers, and even if you can't find a trailer expert I know you could find a vintage car enthusiast who would gladly go look at a trailer and take photos for you.

Jewel or Jalopy - Pre-Purchase Inspections by Enthusiasts

Also, keep your eyese on the Portland, Oregon craigslist for good, usable trailers. Portland has a thriving food cart scene, many using vintage trailers, and they do come up for sale quite often. Some that have already been converted.

There are more Streamline and Silver Streaks that have been converted due to the lower purchase price.

In fact, The Grilled Cheese Grill (one of our favorite places just a few blocks from us) uses a vintage Streamline Countess.

Here's a blurry photos of it:

Good luck!

Tags
1961, 1961 bambi