Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Georgia flooded airstreams

Okay, all those interested in the flooded AS's from Georgia (Woodstock Camping World-Atlanta Area) get in line.

Here is the way it is going down: All Airstreams will be sold in one lot. There are 8 of them; 2-2008 units which are used; 3-2009 new; 3-2010 new. Sealed Bid.

So, what is needed? First, we need more than one AS's to go and look at them; the salvage company said they were in "...Fabulous shape...water just got up to the wheels...towable as is..."

This first hand inspection is paramount and needs to be done asap. Multiple inspections would/should be the order of the day. Any volunteers?

Then, we need to know who all would like to own one of these trailers. Like I said, get in line, let me know what price range you are willing to bid.

Then a bid needs to be submitted. Now the secondary logistics to this undertaking are NOT to be underestimated. One individual needs to place the bid on behalf of the AS'rs. Actually, more than one group may need to be formed to place bids, depending on how many folks are truly interested. One individual will be fiscally responsible for paying for the winning bid. Then, once obtained, the trailers need to be moved, individuals notified of "winning the bid" monies collected; trailers distributed and so on.

Are ye with me?

2-2009 Int'l Sig-1 27fb; 1 19'
1-2009 Fly'g Cloud 25FB
2-2010 Fly'g cloud 23FB
1-2010 Fl'g Cloud 20'
1-2008 int'l Sig-used
1-2008 Safari 22'-used

Moderators-can you make this a temporary sticky?

I am flying this here deal by the seat of my pants so I do not know what I am doing-any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
ol' Bill the newbie

I will post info on location when I have inspection volunteers.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
... I am flying this here deal by the seat of my pants so I do not know what I am doing...
working backwards...

-I AGREE u don't know WHAT u r doing.

no offense intended.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Umm, well, let's see. Camping world in Woodstock is NOT an Airstream dealer. In fact, there are no longer any Airstream dealers in the entire state of Georgia as far as I know. The only dealer in Georgia was a company called Sagon in central Georgia (roughly 100 miles south of Woodstock) and they went tango uniform earlier this year.

It's entirely possible that CW picked up the franchise, but I haven't heard about it if they did. AlanSD lives up that way, maybe he has heard something.

Also, as far as I know, there wasn't any flooding in that area recently that I've heard of. I'm not a cartographer or topographic expert by any means, but I have been to and by that dealership many times. I don't remember it being in a potential floodplain.

Where are you getting this info? Maybe one of the locals can go by there and verify the story of the "flooded Airstreams".

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
no offense taken

I thought about putting this in the classifieds, and if that is where it needs to be fine-the problem is just as you said, 2air, I do not know what I am doing. There was/is a thread under insurance claims about one of the forum members who have lost their AS due to this flood at Woodstock CW-in that thread there has been much scuttlebutt about the damaged AS's. I contacted whoever in GA that was willing to listen and actually was referred to the Salvage company that has been assigned to auction the salvage from this flooded business. It has been told to me that this area received 20+ inches of rain in a short timeframe, and this is what caused the flooding.

I would/could put up a website of my own if I knew how; I do not. I had hoped the AS community if really interested in the trailers would/could come up with a collective effort to put these units in the hands of someone who really would like to rebuild one of these at a reasonable initial cost. I did not know if they would be auctioned or sold as is or what. So you know what I do. I am contemplating a trip down there, but would rather have some locals that are forum members look at the units and help people such as I to make intelligent decisions. So, basically I am looking for whatever good help I can get from the forum members.

The reason I am asking for those interested in getting in touch with me is simply this: Interested parties know who I am, but I do not know who the interested parties are...I have in my possession an invitation to bid for all 8 units; anyone out there with a better methodology willing to help me?
thanks to all.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
These are the two threads I remember seeing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ighlight=flood

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...elp-56527.html

I simply don't believe the report about the water only reaching the wheels. Based on the video coverage I remember seeing, this lot was flooded several feet deep.

Here is a photo of a Waffle House that is 1000 feet away from Camping World. Camping World is the same elevation or lower than the Waffle House.

Good luck to anyone so brave to buy one of these trailers.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
the two tales of Georgia

The two posts from the Georgians are interesting: one hasn't heard of the flooding; the other shows photos of 3 foot deep (or more) flood waters.
So, my question is: "who's on first?"
Old 10-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
No matter how deep the water was, if the trailers are 'salvage' now it will be difficult to legally tow them through most states, and depending on the state you end up in it may be difficult/impossible to get them registered for use again.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Well, I guess I'm eating crow on both counts. CW in Woodstock DOES appear to be the new Airstream dealer in Georgia. I have to say that's news to me. While we had Old Testament, wrath of God kind of rain in Mid-September, I would have never guessed CW in Woodstock would have been flooded. Sorry to have doubted you, Marsh.

I'll go crawl back under my rock now.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Perhaps this dealer was involved in the Airstream-CW rental program?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
No matter how deep the water was, if the trailers are 'salvage' now it will be difficult to legally tow them through most states, and depending on the state you end up in it may be difficult/impossible to get them registered for use again.
Read this again! These units were probably totaled or else insurance would have repaired them and sold them as used units at least (but were they insured?). You can be darn sure these will have no warranty! A call to Jackson Center might confirm that for the curious.

A totaled vehicle is issued a salvage title -- with resultant licensing & loan problems. They have potential as park units at best -- if the buyer is honest. Until the title is "lost" in a couple decades and they are re-sold to the unsuspecting. Anyone buying these does so at their own risk. Ya think? Doesn't seem like the best recommendation for Air Forums members. Better the devils deal with it and angels fear to tread here!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Will they even have the Airstream badge & VIN on them when they are sold? These would be the first Airstreams that should have had Bearing Buddies (not that any Airstream should ever have them!).

The sky is falling, Babalu...
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
What's a little sewage water amongst AS'rs?

This whole thing may go nowhere, but then again, Wally's idea was impossible, too. Kinda like those Wright boys...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
This whole thing may go nowhere...Kinda like those Wright boys...
did the wright boys broker a group buy on flood damaged planes? or was it bicycles?

clearly there are damaged, soon to be salvage titled streams in geoja...

the water depth was drastic. 20 inches of rain DONE NOT EQUAL 20 inches deep disaster...

and a member HERE who owns one has posted about it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ded-56857.html

i've also had communication with an ALMOST buyer/member, who had a deposit down on 1 of the CW units...

obviously THAT sale didn't happen.

there are a couple of other threads on THIS bunch of scrap.

but the "plan" (which is a generous use of the term) i read in this thread is...

-give the o.p. money OR let him/her/it broker a deal for a group of folks here...

and THAT has got DEEP doo doo disaster written ALL over it.

could this post be moved FROM the insurance & claims forum to the...

it's not a scam, no really i'll buy one for you, no really, i promise forums???

or can i buy some stock/shares in this railroad ???

best of luck in battle ground!

on edit, 1 more thought...

a/s often BUYS back damaged NEW units from the insurance/salvage company.

and some really beat up new stuff from driving wrecks or hail damage.

then does the makeover/repair IN the factory service center,

and SELLS the unit.

since they got the parts and they got the army of service techs, this can be a good deal for THEM and the customer...

so here is the magic question...?? is a/s gonna be a bidder at the salvage dance? or do they know something about the many issues of stinky wet streams??

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
What I'm trying to figure out is how all of these threads slipped past me during the flood. Really sad news for some of the local Airstreamers.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
This whole thing may go nowhere, but then again, Wally's idea was impossible, too. Kinda like those Wright boys...
Hey, at the very least you have stirred a bunch of interest. 19 people lookin right now. The last time I saw that much interest Inland Andy was the center of affection. Good luck in your endevour and keep stirrin the pot. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I drive by CW about once a week on I 575, the water was deep, the police had the access road to cw blocked off last week,couldnt get in to look. The windows and doors on the units were open ,why if water only up to the wheels? If anyone wants me to look let me know, BUT Im a new member not a lot of experience.
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Good luck to you!

I'm too far away to take any advantage, plus already bought an As recently, but I admire your initiative to be willing to at least investigate and coordinate this initiative.

Hope it works out for a few lucky folks. I;m sure you will cover all the bases.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
Any inspector volunteers out there?

I have been told on-site inspection is okay. Contact Carter Spence of Callan Salvage 901-351-3301. He is on site at the Camping World in Woodstock, GA (Atlanta area). These trailers will be sold with a salvage title. I am processing information from the Georgia Dept. of Revenue for tmpy and permanent licensing and titling. Anyone interested in "seeing" these trailers and reporting to the forum would be welcome-thank you in advance. The bid closing date is currently set at Wed 1pm EDT, 14 Oct, 2009. Not much time.

Again, I may be chasing my tail on this venture, but if you think it has some worth to you, join in.
Bill
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Airstream interiors and water don't mix! ha! Last time i drove down 575, they had all the airstreams lined up with the windows open. They're junk! If you REALLY want to do a floor replacement, why not find a classic one? :-D

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodstock , Georgia
Folks, as was mentioned, I had a unit on the lot at the Woodstock GA Camping World. The entire lot (aka their entire inventory) was underwater. My insurance adjuster said the water reached within a foot and a half of the roof of the A/S. From personal observation, all the units I saw upon casual observation were under AT LEAST 3-4 feet of water depending upon where the unit was on the lot. (The lot sloped downwards towards the creek.)

I've posted a couple of pics in the other thread if you want to see what the damage looks like.

I can assure you I was on site within a day of the water receding, it was MUCH more than a foot or two of water.

I can also assure you the units had all kinds of water/sewage/fuel/contaminants inside the units.

C/W is (was?) the only authorized dealer as Sagon did indeed go out of business.

If anyone would like local info, let me know as I've been on the Camping World lot many times before and after the flood.

And I'm not too impressed with their customer service as they want to bill me for work that they supposedly did work on my A/S before the flood (it was in for warranty work and PM) and they refuse any responsibility for insurance.

Caveat emptor folks.
ridgwayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Just my two cents, but we don't do CW anymore. I watched one of their "techs" troubleshoot a wiring problem on a new coach; he did not know how to operate the volt-ohm meter.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote