Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Flood Damage / Please Help!

I haven't been on the Forum for some time. I know, shame on me. Now that I have a problem, look where I have turned.

Here's the deal. My trailer was caught in a flash flood from a creek two nights ago. The water reached a level of at least one inch above the floor inside the trailer. I was shocked. Nothing but muddy water in my beautiful Airstream.

I can see the belly pan under the rear is sagging down from the weight of the soaked insulation. Battery compartments went under, and I know the water made contact between the floor and all of the cabinets. I fear the cabinets will end up swelling in the future. I have an insurance adjuster coming on Monday, but he isn't likely to know much about Airstreams.

Are there any good repair facilities near Atlanta that could provide a honest assessment of what level of damage there is, and is likely to be, from this water.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'm not familiar with Atlanta Airstream dealers, but I would wager the insurance company will total the trailer. At least, I've heard of trailers with less damage being totaled.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Got Photos?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Insurance adjust or not I would open up the belly pan ASAP and let that water, captured in the insulation start to get out. Odds are if it was only a few days ago you should be able to get ahead of it.

If there is a rug it is going to be under everything, cabinets, bed, couch and kitchen. if you have a wet vac start using it and get the water off the top of the floor.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, HowieE is right; You need to remove as much water as soon as possible to lesson the possible damage. Drop the belly pan, remove the soaked insulation, and vacuum all of the carpets and floor.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
There is an Airtream dealer in Atlanta but I've yet to hear anyone speak of them in a positive way. You might send a PM to one of the Atlanta folks for advice on where to take the trailer. Most of them hang out on the Falluminum rally site this time of year.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...gia-51514.html

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Photos

I have added some photos to my profile for those who want to see the condition that I found the trailer in.

I am still waiting for a good reference of an Atlanta, GA area dealer that might be able to look at the trailer.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
See post #7 in this thread for GA service recommendations. Also give Airstream in Jackson Center a call, they could give you valuable assistance even from afar.

So sad to see those pictures and hear of the damage.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson View Post
I have added some photos to my profile for those who want to see the condition that I found the trailer in.

I am still waiting for a good reference of an Atlanta, GA area dealer that might be able to look at the trailer.
I looked at the photos.......BUMMER!
I would get in there with a wet/dry shop vac first and set up lots of fans to get it drying out. Newer model Airstreams have more accessable belly pans (I think) so it would be best to remove all the wet insulation you can and also blast those areas with a fan. You might get lucky and not have to replace interior parts and better yet, not have to deal with insurance companies.
Also open all the vents and windows to speed drying.
Good Luck!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
The pics are sickening.
I am not sure what the Ins. Co. will do.
Maybe it can be saved.

I agree with other replies, drop the under belly and remove the wet insulation. You do not want mold to take over. Air the inside out also.
Then wait for the adjuster.
I just thought, there's water in the walls at floor level.
Dang...

NC has a great dealer, Out of Doors Mart. they might be off some assistance.
(They are the oldest AS dealer in the world)
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I just looked up your unit on NADA.com, this value looks low in my opinion.

2004 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL SERIES M-25 CCD

Base Price low retail $15,490 average retail $18,660 TOTAL PRICE $15,490 $18,660 Suggested List: $47,243
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
I just looked up your unit on NADA.com, this value looks low in my opinion.

2004 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL SERIES M-25 CCD

Base Price low retail $15,490 average retail $18,660 TOTAL PRICE $15,490 $18,660 Suggested List: $47,243
Nada is really a joke. Its a wonder than any of us can get loans on these units when used values are so low. Your going to have to fight the insurance company to either fix the unit or appraise it high enough so you can get a similar replacement.

Sorry about the damage.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Looking at the water mark on the outside of the trailer there may be 1 to 2 ins. of water in the walls. I would remove the vinyl strip on the outside banana strip and drill some 1/8 in. holes close to the bottom of the groove the vinyl was in. If water flows out I would continue this all the way around the trailer and make the holes bigger. You can seal the holes later before replacing the vinyl.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
douglas , Georgia
Had a similar situation this spring in Southern Georgia with a '07 25 foot Classic. No standing water on the interior but the carpet and padding was soaked. An airstream dealer in Gainesville, FL gutted the interior and removed all the carpet and linoleum and then dryed it out with the A/C and fans for several days. This was all done within 4 days of the flooding and after the drying out period everything seemed fine. Put the cabinets back in with new flooring and charged progressive around $9,000. However your flooding seems to be more significant than mine. Good luck
cabagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Thanks for all of the feedback. I will meet with the adjuster on Monday afternoon. The rain here has persisted, so I can't leave the windows open. I am running a dehumidifier in the trailer and things appear dry on the inside. Visually, I can't see any swelling on the cabinets, but the water was under the edge of them.

The belly pan is attached with rivets. One or two have pulled loose from the weight of the wet insulation. That is how I know that area is saturated under the back of the trailer, but I don't want to go drilling out rivets and tearing things apart before the insurance company looks at it. They were supposed to come Friday, but then they changed the appointment.

I will call Airstream on Monday and gather any advice that they might be able to give me.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts. I will update things as I know anything new.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I met with the adjuster this afternoon. He wants me to get the trailer to a service center to see what they think the trailer would need. I called Airstream in Ohio, and they told me to go to Camping World in Woodstock, Ga. They are a new Airstream dealer, so the factory couldn't give me much in the way of a personal reference.

I tried to contact Camping World's service dept. today, but apparently their property is also flooded today and there was no one for me to talk with. I will try again tomorrow, and hopefully be able to make arrangements to get the trailer to them to look at.

Luckily, I did move the trailer to higher ground last week. Last night the same place where my trailer was parked went under water again. This time by five feet. I would have died.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. you guys need a break! I hope camping world can work this out for you.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
I called Airstream in Ohio, and they told me to go to Camping World in Woodstock, Ga. They are a new Airstream dealer, so the factory couldn't give me much in the way of a personal reference.
Camping World is now starting to sell Airstreams!? Hummm...

Quote:
I tried to contact Camping World's service dept. today, but apparently their property is also flooded today and there was no one for me to talk with. I will try again tomorrow, and hopefully be able to make arrangements to get the trailer to them to look at.
Good luck. On a couple of occassions, I tried to set up appointments at the Camping World in New Braunfels/San Antonio. I'd get to the main number who would put me on hold to transfer... nobody every picked up the other end nor returned phone calls on each occassion. Have heard mixed reviews regarding the quality of their shop work.

Quote:
Luckily, I did move the trailer to higher ground last week. Last night the same place where my trailer was parked went under water again. This time by five feet. I would have died.
Especially if your insurance isn't 'total replacement cost'. Good luck on all your repairs - sure hope you finally get your 'Stream fixed up and on the road again!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Atlanta Airstream Service is OK

We have had our Airstream in to the new dealer in Woodstock and were satisfied with their service department. Before becoming a Camping World they were named Camping Time RV, a group that had 3 or 4 locations around Atlanta.

We were in that area today, and the intersection that leads to the dealer was under six feet of water and the road was closed. We had to turn around and go back so we didn't actually see the dealership. They will probably be very busy drying out their own trailers for the next few days.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul&Dee View Post
We have had our Airstream in to the new dealer in Woodstock and were satisfied with their service department. Before becoming a Camping World they were named Camping Time RV, a group that had 3 or 4 locations around Atlanta.

We were in that area today, and the intersection that leads to the dealer was under six feet of water and the road was closed. We had to turn around and go back so we didn't actually see the dealership. They will probably be very busy drying out their own trailers for the next few days.
Thanks for the feedback on Camping World. I will keep everyone up to date on how things go.