Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Fivegeers

Check with Happycampers - Marvin works for Bates - maybe he could take some pics for you before your parents have a chance to get down there.

Romour has it they maybe putting the Argosy up for sale this coming week!
Have done a lot of nice work and lots of new parts and working replacement parts - All the hard work is done.

Depending on how many kiddies you have - I would go for the couch and twins as you can also rig up bunks over the twins to give sleeping for 6 people. With the bathroom at the back you have more room.

Another thought though - if 8900 is the range for only a few thousand more you can jump up to a 1990+ with more upto date systems - like around 12-14K If you have to finance any of it then you may as well go for something that will last you a long time.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Double D-we just saw yours today! As I came down to Orlando to help my parents get ready to move and we went to Bates today! Saw your Bambi today with a SOLD sign on it-very nice unit.

We have decided to go with a 22', possibly NEW. We reazlied that we do not have the ability to refurbish an oldie (which they had some real cuties at Bates), and that we plan on keeping the unit, so we think we will be looking for a newer one. We're quite excited, but know that our search will not start until later this year- . That's okay, at least we know it WILL happen- . Thanks for all of your suggestions/comments/and encouragement. I'm quite excited now that I've been IN them and know what we're looking for!!
FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Wow, that's so cool! You got to see it before we did! We've been working with James Cogley there. He's been great. We've been shopping prices for a long time and feel we got a good deal. If you don't have a salesperson there yet, I recommend James. Tell him Darrell said, "Hi!" Thanks so much for the post. We're super excited to finally get an Airstream!
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
We've got a salesperson there, but we probably won't make any move until later this year. Although I hate to wait in fear that we'll miss out on the one we want, but everything happens for a reason! So fingers crosses she's still there later on!

I've got a ton of pics of your Bambi that my mother took for me when they went to look at the '77. She thought we may like the Bambi-but we're a family of 5! Just not big enough for ALL of us...let me know if you'd like to see the pics-I'm sure you will- !
Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I've got a ton of pics of your Bambi that my mother took for me when they went to look at the '77. She thought we may like the Bambi-but we're a family of 5! Just not big enough for ALL of us...let me know if you'd like to see the pics-I'm sure you will-

Would LOVE them. Do you have our email address?
ddegraw4@comcast.net
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Darrell & Faith-sent them to you-hope the file wasn't too huge! It was suppsed to shrink the pics. It's a really spiffy unit. If it were just my DH and me, we would have done it. Price was really spot on, too! Any idea when you'll be heading down to pick her up?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks, they are GREAT pictures! Lots of angles, view points! Looks like the only flaw is a few spots of rust on the license plate bracket. No biggie.
We're thinking of going maybe the first week of Feb. as we're going to be on vacation in Colorado the last week of Jan. Whoa! That's just next week. Our 18 year old daughter (only kid we have) was on a hiking trip with her church youth group out there in the Rockies last summer. She got extremely ill from altitude sickness- passed out, respiration slow, blood pressure whacked, etc. A rescue team came to get her off the mountain. We want to meet the guy who carried her down that scary night. She's stayed in touch with him so we thought it would be cool to thank him in person.
Anyway, long story... zzzzzzzz. Are you in Florida, too? We'll let you know when we head doen (or if I chicken out and have it delivered). I think it would be cool if can pick it up. That way we can make sure everthing works and is in order, hitch is adjusted correctly, etc.
Thanks again for the wonderful photos!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
I'll be sending you one more picture of the Bambi next to the Safari-the one I'd LOVE to have. The Safari also has the rusted license plate on the back and she said they'd change those out-so no problems there! Glad you liked the pictures.

Have fun in Co.!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
One more thing...

Congrats on getting clearer about your decision process and target Airstream.. You will continue to find help and encouragement here on the Forum!

Couldn't resist adding that (in my experience..) 99% of dealers will not actually quote you their final walkaway price, as they want YOU to make an offer they can either accept or reject or counter.. Yeah, it sometimes works for internet deals, but more often than not you should be prepared to offer them your final cash purchase price, subject to verification of repaired items, etc etc and see how they react.. When I teach car-buying, I put forward proposition that if you haven't gotten up, walked out to car to drive away at least once, you're not done yet.. Sales manager will generally follow you to car if you're anywhere close and not ridiculous low price, and they believe you are going to buy that vehicle or one like it soon...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #30

2000 19' Bambi
Santa Barbara , California
Nada guide

OK I see the guide value but how do you find out what a 19' 2000 Bambi is really worth? I bought mine in 2001 and am not using it but I would like a fair price to sell it... so how do I determine what is a fair price? I love this little trailer and hate to part with it.
Lynette
Lynette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lynne,

Go here: http://www.nadaguides.com//Values/Va...00911&Letter=A

And add your options to determine price.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Market Price is variable...

Lynette;

While NADA guides or Kelley BlueBook or other guides might give you a range of prices based on dealer input (Dealers are the ones who set or send prices to these guides), they are for dealer benefit and financing, not consumers and private sellers...

That said, potential buyers might also go there and be put off if your prices are way out of line...

I'd look at big 3 for electronic ads (Here, Vintage Airstreams at www.airstream.net, and rvtraderonline.com ) and see if there are any similar trailers in your area, or even if not similar, how they are priced relative to NADA or kbb guides... Whether selling by placing ads or E-Bay, set price slightly above mid-point to test market first and give yourself room to make concessions, unless you are in big hurry.. I'd also have someone else do thorough inspection, with objective eyes, so you aren't biased in thinking yours is too wonderful...

Finally, if you're selling, the wider market you can reach, then better chance of selling for a higher price. A local newspaper ad will reach a few potantial buyers, while a listing here and one or two other web sites might reach 80% of those looking for a used Bambi...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
for what it is worth

i am a total loss appraiser for a major ins company.

when it comes to value, you have to go with the market.
like many before me have already said, watch the market.
watch rvtrader and all the rest.
compare what you want to buy with other ones on the market. and go from there. also keep in mind, people will typically go higher on the asking price so that it can be negotiated down.

so one listed at 8k at a dealership, may be able to be purchased for 6k??!!!
never know.
but the only way to truley find a value, whether it is new or old, car truck or trailer, is compare the market!
59tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #34
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59tradewind
.... but the only way to truley find a value, whether it is new or old, car truck or trailer, is compare the market!

A used unit is usally unique. There is never one exactly like it.

And what a willing buyer and seller negoiate would be true value.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #35

Currently Looking...
keene , New Hampshire
Looking for help determining value

We are looking for a used, older Airstream to gut down to the ribs and renovate. I was hoping to get some feed back on a trailer we saw by the road and took picutes of. Pictures located here:
http://www.gotendurance.com/airstream.htm

What possible things were prominent problems or issues for that year etc.

My camera ran out of batteries and I will take more pictures but I would also like to know maybe what specific things I should be looking for. Like how to determine the condition of the axle, frame, belly pan, skin, windows etc..

This unit is a 64 Overlander 26' long.
  • The skin appears to be totally free from almost any dents
  • The windows appear to be well sealed
  • The belly pan appears to be totally blemish free
  • The skin is oxidized and covered with a mist of moss, leaves & pine needles.
I appreciate your input, and thanks in advance.

Elijah
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
well...you did not list a price...I can tell you that according to the guide being refered to here I paid anywhere from 500 to a 1000 to much for my 59 tradewind....having said that though, you have to ask yourself if you are going to be able to find one in this condition again. The problem is dealers/restorers are buying these for resale so it appears if this trend continues it will become harder and harder to find the doit yourself variety.
so just check the axles really good and see if the floor rot can be patched without an off frame restoration, if so then I would get it....looks like a nice trailer. I am hoping to find several more of these for http://www.mercury7.com before they become unfindable.
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah
This unit is a 64 Overlander 26' long.....

Elijah

i've got a 64 trade wind, and one of my friends has a 64 overlander. both had soft spots in the door, and under the front window (typical). open up the rear compartment and look closely at the floor... my trailer didn's show any signs of rot.. then i looked at my friends, and realized that it didn't have the FLOOR in it! that'll have to be addressed soon.

also, check the windows and see if they have the latch locks on them, or if they just rely on the torqe openers to keep them closed. mine doesn't have the locks, and it's a major pain to keep a tight seal on the windows. i ordered replacement openers (because half of mine have stripped out at teh end of the thread where it closes the window tightly)... haven't put them on yet, though.

other than that, a couple of bottles of bleach would take care of the garden you have on teh roof!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Vintage Airstream trailers (25 or more years old):
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

Also the guide in post #1 for vintage units is at least 5 years old. (It's what I used when I was in the market) So the values indicated in that website site could go up at least 5 to 10 percent.
The hobby has gotten much bigger and the vintage units are getting more and more in demand.

According to the copies of posts that I grabbed and included ..... as of last december the valuation table at vintage airstream was over 5 years old.

It would really be helpful if current vintage valuations were available to back up price trends. Every little bit helps.

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #39
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by campngirl
Vintage Airstream trailers (25 or more years old):
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
Also the guide in post #1 for vintage units is at least 5 years old.
Karol
The correct link is Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
There is a note near the top of the page that says "Last updated December 2, 2006". The opening paragraphs explain the difficulty in trying to assign a value to vintage Airstream trailers. Each one is unique in its own way. One variable not mentioned is the location. Folks will naturally pay more for a unit that is nearby rather than one that is far away.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
And I was so proud of myself!!! After looking at lots of SOBs, I found a AS in the paper really cheap (what was I thinking) I just looked at the blue book. thanks guys for the cold water -THOMAS
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote