Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Oregon city , Oregon
How much I should pay for a 2012 16ft sports old stock that used as display?

Hi everyone.

I have been shopping for a 16 ft bambi around. Best price dealer give me is $36.2k plus several hundred document/plate fees for a new 2014 model(no sales tax in Oregon). Just got a call from dealer said they are getting a 2012 display trailer from their partner(I don't remember the name of that party who had it for 2 years). It has never been titled, dealer is firmly asking for 31.5k(plus several hundred document and plate cost), the salesman said the trailer is not ready yet and will take them another 5 days to get it to transfer to their lot if I pay $2k deposit immediately. The deposit is refundable if I don't buy. This dealer is only 6 miles from my house.

The salesman who have been helping us is a nice person, he repeated it is a very rare deal and will sell fast. I did pay the refundable deposit. He said since it was never been titled, there is a 2 year warranty like purchased new. I checked nada trailer value, the msrp for the new 2012 model is about $38k, used price from $22k-$27k.

Before dealer called me, I was about to buy a 2013 16ft sports from a private seller who claims only used 400 miles for $31k, the price includes a $500 equalizer and the 2 installed aluminum shield at front. It will cost a couple of hundred dollar inspection fee and additional $250 at the dealer to transfer the remaining one year warranty to me. The nada used value for this 2013 is $27k-$33k. The seller is 7 hours one way driving from me.

It is very hard for me to make decision now. Any advise will be very helpful.

Ps what's the difference between 2012,2013 and 2014?
Eresan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
My Course of Action would be...

I know 7 hours seems like a long drive... but I would look at them both before deciding. The choice might be easy.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Nice person" and "rare", two very scary marketing words.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Wow, so many options puts you in the drivers seat!! Although the 2012/2013 have barely hit the road they may need some maintenance i.e. the roof resealed, bearrings repacked, annual check for gas line leaks, annual window seal check, check tire date (not tire wear) etc. So, I would ask the owners for maintenance records.

I once called on a trailer and the guy had the trailer for 4 years and didn't know how many miles he put on the trailer and never repacked bearings!!! It's my personal opinion that you will have less headaches down the road if someone ATLEAST did the annual maintenance on the rig. If the owner provides the records they more than likely valued the AIRSTREAM brand and took really good care of their rig.

If it were me, I'd chose between the 2013 and 2014. Ask for maintenance records on the 2013. If they don't have any Id stick to the 2014, less foot traffic than the 2012. If the dealer won't budge on the price of the rig ask him to install items such as solar and inverter at no additional cost.

Just as a side note my friends just sold their 2010 for 28k. They had multiple offers and it sold in 2 days.

Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
After you have bought it, the price you paid doesn't mean that much anymore.
You have what you have.

Is it better to have a new factory guarantee or some accessories that you could add later?

Which one will have the higher resale value in a few years?

Which one speaks to you?

Good luck with your decision.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote