Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Trying to sell 2013 Airstream but need some help

Hi all.

After using our Airstream for some fun trips with the family we have decided to sell it. I was honestly expecting to sell it quickly and have had some interest but haven't had any luck selling it and could use some guidance.

It is a 2013 25' Flying Cloud FB Twin model and still under warranty until Feb 2015.

I went to nada and it valued it at around 60,000. I listed it for that and then brought it down to 56,000 and when i talked with people I said I was still negotiable on price. But no takers. I listed on the classifieds here and rvtrader and craigslist.

Just wondering if anyone had some suggestions to help me to sell it!!

I really appreciate an insight you all might have.

Many thanks,
Thomas
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
Just wondering if anyone had some suggestions to help me to sell it!!
I would try eBay next. Lots of older trailers there, not many of your vintage. There might be a big market looking to get it for a steal? Else you'll just need to keep dropping your price.

Good luck!
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Having bought a 2012 in 2013, I humbly suggest that you are asking too much money. That is based on my research and what I paid.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You are also trying to sell at the end of RV season. Most people don't want to buy something and have to wait for 8 months to use it.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You would do better to bring it to a southern venue and try to sell it there. In the south, camping season is year-round. Up north where you are, the warranty that lasts until February 2015 won't even get the buyer to the start of camping season so it won't do them any good.

Another possibility, join WBCCI. That sounds weird, but think about it… For the price of membership ($65, plus whatever surcharge applies to a member-at-large), you gain the ability to advertise your Airstream in the WBCCI magazine, Blue Beret. Then, when you sell your Airstream, your membership is automatically revoked.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
As far as relying on NADA posted value for a travel trailer, it can hardly even be used as a guideline. Call your bank loan officer and see how much they would loan you to buy a used 2013 25' Flying Cloud FB Twin model...... I'd bet your biggest hurdle is going to be that you might owe more than the market price on that Airstream. IF thats the case your stuck waiting for that one buyer who is looking for just what you are selling.
If this isn't the case, (for instance....the Airstream is fully paid for) Then you need to decide how badly you want to sell it. Everything sells quickly when the price is "right"
Gather as much info as you can on other Airstreams for sale that are like yours, include everything from individual sellers to Dealers. Dont worry about where they're located. When you have a list of at least a half dozen Airstreams that are all similar to yours in model year, condition and amenities..... take 15% off the cheapest listing. Now, IF anyone is in the market for that particular Airstream, your phone should ring.
The RIGHT price always ensures a quick sale!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Did you try listing it here?

Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
It sounds to me like your price is right in the ballpark ... if you find someone with the cash. Without dealer financing, you are at the mercy of the banker who will loan to your prospective buyer. There will be more buyers where the weather is nice year round; I would suggest eBay.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
An Airstream dealer selling it for you on consignment may get enough more than you can to make up the difference in consignment fee (try for 10%). Clean, clean and polish.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
One thought in my mind is that Airstreams are luxury Travel Trailers. They won't move as quickly as SOB will. They sell to other enthusiasts, which means smaller market of buyers. Thus on the market probably longer than average. That's my personal theory anyhow.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sadly I agree

I agree with points made by all the prior posters. On the first Airstream I bought I got 15% off retail (WITHOUT even asking). I wasn't smart enough to know how hard I could have negotiated... but that was 2004 before the market crashed. It's usually possible to negotiate a dealer down 20% now. That being the case, look at what a 2015 equipped exactly like yours would bring with a 20% discount.

Anyone who buys that CAN get financing at about 4%.

Do contact a big dealer like Colonial and see whether they could do a consignment, or go try e-bay.... or make it clear that you will deliver it to any southern state east of the Mississippi.

Face the fact that the first two years of depreciation are a killer, then it levels off.

Good luck, Paula
Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Thank you all so so much for your feedback. I didn't even realize that consigning might be an option with a dealer!
We have actually moved to Austin, TX so if it doesn't sell soon then I will bring it down here I think.
I will check out eBay and I have also listed it through airforums classifieds.

We unfortunately don't own it outright and hoping to just break even with some wiggle room from our asking price.

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses and will be making some phone call to possibly consign tomorrow

-Thomas
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Since you are in Austin, contact Camper Clinic II in Buda. They are a large AS dealership and might consign it for you. Too bad you don't want to keep it. There are lots of places to camp in Texas.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The used Airstream market in Texas is very strong. You'll have a much better chance of selling it for what you are asking here in central Texas.
If you have your trailer consigned at an RV dealer that also sells Airstreams, it will be competing against the 2015s on the lot with some advantages like, having never been slept in, better financing options and a full two year warranty. You need to know what someone can buy a 2015 25' FB Twin for and be well under that.
The other option is to bring it down here to Texas and go camping!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
Thank you all so so much for your feedback. I didn't even realize that consigning might be an option with a dealer!
We have actually moved to Austin, TX so if it doesn't sell soon then I will bring it down here I think.
I will check out eBay and I have also listed it through airforums classifieds.

We unfortunately don't own it outright and hoping to just break even with some wiggle room from our asking price.

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses and will be making some phone call to possibly consign tomorrow

-Thomas
I'm afraid that if you have a loan on the trailer that you took out when you bought it new (for 75% to 80% or its original price,) you may be under water after only a couple of years or so. Despite what some people think, Airstreams do depreciate, perhaps not as fast as a white box, but they do take a pretty big hit the first two or three years. As a 2013, your trailer is now a two and a half year old model (soon to be a three year old model) that competes with brand new trailers with two year warranties and additional features. A new trailer buyer will get 20% off list from a dealer at this time of the year, and as a two and half year old unit, you can expect a further 20 to 25% hit off that price, so you should be thinking about getting perhaps half the list price of a new similarly equipped 2015 model. Not sure what that is in your case, but you can find that out fairly easily from a dealer.

I second the suggestion to consign it with a nearby Airstream dealer. They are always looking for recent models to put on their lots and if your unit is on their lot, you know that interested buyers will be looking at it. I have no idea what the arrangements for this typically are, but if it really is only a 10% commission to the dealer, I would jump on that!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
you should be thinking about getting perhaps half the list price of a new similarly equipped 2015 model.
His asking price is high, but not that high!
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Commissions on consignment can vary. It tales similar effort to sell a cheap trailer as an expensive one, so you may have that in your favor. The dealer I talked to a few years ago wanted 20% commission under $50k selling price, and 10% over $50k.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If you do a consignment carefully check your insurance coverage. Some policies will exclude any claims in a consignment situation. Make sure that you or the dealer have it clearly spelled out in the consignment contract and that you do have coverage.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
His asking price is high, but not that high!
I was suggesting 25% off the PURCHASE PRICE of a new 2015 unit for his 2 year old unit (the half price off LIST PRICE quote reflects the discount off of list that anyone can get.) I think that a 25% discount for a two year old unit is quite fair. (Full disclosure, my math does not actually quite work out to half the LIST price, more like 60% of the LIST price, but my point is still valid.) I'm guessing that his original asking price of $60k was pretty close to what he had paid for it new two or three years earlier and probably close to 90% of the price of a new 2015 unit (of course, we don't know all of the options/upgrades on his particular unit.)

However, newer used Airstreams are pretty rare so if he can find a motivated buyer, he might do a bit better. All the more reason to see if he can work with an AS dealer to maximize the number of people who are exposed to his trailer.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Bring your Airstream to Austin and check out PPL for consignment. It appears most Airstreams at PPL on consignment seem to sell quickly. They have sale lots in Houston and New Braunfels which is close to Austin.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Also, Camping World locations that sell RVs will do consignments. Recently a 2005 or 2006 25SS International came on the market on consignment in Springfield, MO. I went to look at it the second day after it came up on RVTrader and there were already two deposits on it, sight unseen by buyers from other states. The advertised price was much lower being an older unit which maybe was more of a draw. The condition of this AS wasn't cream puff and there was floor damage in the rear storage by the rear bumper due to water infiltration.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote