Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #321
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

got any specs on the solar stuff? is that just a single panel? maybe a web link to the "system"....?
The panel is a 130 watt Kyocera. I bought it at arizona wind/sun. The controller is a solar boost 2000. There is a 10 gauge wire from the panel down to the charge controller next to the batteries. I have room for another smaller panel up there too, but I decided to see if I needed it before buying. They are expensive! It has been cloudy here for the last few days, but I still get about 2-3 amps coming in from the panel during light hours. Not much really at all at night, I was hoping for some moon power too. The power jumps up to 6+ amps in full sun. The mppt charge controller is worth it, in my oppinion. There are two settings on the controller so you can see the amps that would be going into the batteries with a regular controller and the amps increased by the mppt circuitry. The charge controller has a .09 amp draw but seems to increase the charge by an amp at times... (This "feature" that allows me to see the difference between what I would get and what I am getting is doubtlessly conceived to have this result - tell all my friends how great it is so they will buy it too...)

I'll report back when I have more experience with the panel, but from what I can tell now, I think it will put out enough power for my needs.
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #322
4 Rivet Member

bathroom door

I didn't have time to get the shower done before leaving for summer work, but I put together the door today - the panels are a bit floppy, I might put some plexiglass rods through them to stiffen them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6119.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	21466  

Old 05-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #323
4 Rivet Member

Moving

I moved in today, and though I was thinking I was going to have so much storage space I wouldn't know what to do with it... I filled most of the drawers. There are still a few things to do, the pantry, shower, shelf above the sink, back lower doors for beneath the bed... But these will wait for a couple months at least. I wonder what I am forgetting? Off to NY state.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6120.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	21467  
Old 05-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #324
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
When's the housewarming?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #325
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Enjoy your fine new digs!!! Have a good trip.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #326
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
congratulations, man! looks awesome! are you planning on a guest room? a bambi, perhaps?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #327
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
If you are somewhere out there where you can get to the net. How's the adventures in the Airstream going?
Don
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #328
4 Rivet Member

I've been travelling - from Iowa to upstate NY, to Cape Cod, now in Kentucky for a spell. The trailer tows nicely though I had a few problems that I will post questions about later...

Carlos
Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Carlos, hows the trailer holding up to your travels. Have you returned to the real world yet. I've just started on the 55FC. I'm going to do my own thing with this trailer. So I will be looking at your thread again for ideas.
Don
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #330
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Carlos, hows the trailer holding up to your travels. Have you returned to the real world yet. I've just started on the 55FC. I'm going to do my own thing with this trailer. So I will be looking at your thread again for ideas.
Don

I am back in Iowa, if not quite back in the real world. The airstream has liberated me from that concept...

My rig tows well, my 85 diesel suburban gets around 15-16 mpg pulling.

While towing slowly in a park in Pennsylvania I noticed a huge racket from the rear and stopped quick to check. 5 of the 6 axle studs were broken off on one of the wheels! The 6th broke too so that the hub was then sort of sitting on the wheel with no attachment... So at about 10 p.m. I found an auto parts store 30 miles away, bought a floor jack, propped up the trailer in the dark (and in a rainstorm). This wouldn't have been necessary but the trailer was on a county road and I couldn't find anyone that could tow it. The next morning I searched everywhere for axle studs to fit my hub (henschen axle). I happened to be in the town where Red Neck Trailer supplies has a base, but no luck. Similarly, no luck at any RV place. Finally I called Henschen and got the name of the company that made the hubs (they aren't made by henschen) - and called them to find that they had a factory about 30 miles away. I pounded out the broken studs, pounded in the new ones and put it all back together. (The person at the factory said, by the way, that you can get the studs at NAPA!). I think the lug nuts just weren't tight enough, or perhaps needed tightening after a bit of driving. Needless to say, I now check them regularly.

I am having some trouble making my toilet "odorless". Any ideas about where to find a leak? The bowl holds water, and I just took the toilet off the tank and re-fit the vent... is it possible the big hose clamp that holds the toilet to the base is allowing a gas leak? Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #331
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson

I am having some trouble making my toilet "odorless". Any ideas about where to find a leak? The bowl holds water, and I just took the toilet off the tank and re-fit the vent... is it possible the big hose clamp that holds the toilet to the base is allowing a gas leak? Any ideas?
Did you check the vent pipe, joints, connection to roof? Could the tank be leaking into the tank holder? Is the vent upwind of an air intake?

Good to hear from you, too bad about the studs, but this is how we learn.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #332
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
man, how lucky were you that you caught it before the wheel went AWOL though, huh? that would have made a serious mess of the skins. unfortunate timing, though.

always look on the bright side of life, as monty python says!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #333
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
man, how lucky were you that you caught it before the wheel went AWOL though, huh? that would have made a serious mess of the skins. unfortunate timing, though.

always look on the bright side of life, as monty python says!

jp

Yes, I failed to mention how lucky I felt that this all happened the way it did... I'm ecstatic with the timing! I imagine the wheel popping off earlier that day while sandwiched between a cement wall and a semi-trailer at 60mph. Yikes.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #334
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
man, i hate just TOWING between a semi and the wall. the single axle trailers really do wag a lot more than the doubles in situations like that. spooky!

forgot to ask, how did the shower end up turning out?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #335
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
man, i hate just TOWING between a semi and the wall. the single axle trailers really do wag a lot more than the doubles in situations like that. spooky!

forgot to ask, how did the shower end up turning out?

jp
Yes!

The shower is still in the works, I suppose it will be next spring before I get it done. I should have finished it all at once, but I still have the built in fridge, pull out pantry, shelf over the counter and the shower to do...

Oh, and the inverter question I am posing next.

Carlos
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #336
4 Rivet Member

Inverter question

I want to add an inverter at this point - but I am unsure exactly how to hard wire the thing in. My current system is in the image below - and I wonder if I can just hard wire the inverter to the ac box and the batteries - or if I need some sort of switch to select between shore power and inverter power for the ac system. In this case, I imagined making an ac outlet inside where the shore power enters the trailer and then making a male plug that leads into the ac box - this way I could unplug the ac system from shore power and plug it into an outlet on the inverter.

Is there something wrong with this idea? A better solution?

Thanks,

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inverter-question.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	25443  
Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #337
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
hey man, did you ever get your electrics sorted out?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #338
4 Rivet Member

Hey Jordan,

I found a prosine 2.0 on ebay for really cheap and decided to go that route, so now I have to sell my converter/charger!

I was talking with a friend this weekend who has a project going about design and am thinking that I would make the undercounter bathroom if I had to do it again, and then make a bathtub in one of the dinette seats. I have been thinking this would work because I have been taking sponge baths in there in a low tub when I travel anyway and think it is probably just as good as a shower in terms of convenience - also, the privacy issue with the toilet doesn't seem to be that much of an issue - I think you really want to be alone in the airstream when using the toilet anyway! I think it is too late for this one, but next time!

What are you going to do for window coverings? That's next.

Carlos
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #339
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
A riveting thread

Sorry.

Carlos, I am new to the forum, but just bought a 63 flying cloud which will need a complete refurbishment on the inside. You have done an amazing job and I will be thrilled if I can come anywhere close to what you've done. Thanks for the detailed posts, they are inspirational and informative.

Dave
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #340
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaiden
Sorry.

Carlos, I am new to the forum, but just bought a 63 flying cloud which will need a complete refurbishment on the inside. You have done an amazing job and I will be thrilled if I can come anywhere close to what you've done. Thanks for the detailed posts, they are inspirational and informative.

Dave

Dave,

If you have any questions, ask away! Most of what I know comes from help I found on this forum.

Carlos

Tags
1962, 1962 safari, 22'