Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
That's a good looking rig! Congratulations, I like the accent color.

There are 3 things you should do immediately after getting it (IMO).
  1. Pull the floor register and tape some window screen to the bottom around the edges. It will keep a lot of stuff from dropping down into the ductwork.
  2. Get a small tube of clear caulk and do the corners of the shower. There is a 99.44% certainty that it will leak.
  3. Enjoy!

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
you can do it!

good for you... my husband and i and our akita are very happy in our 27 ft. overlander, we are remodeling while in it so it poses own set problems, but we put our favorite things inside and we love it... in fact some days i question even building another house (we too are living in ours while planning to build next fall). we put up a fence for the dog so she can get out when wants to but she is happy with a blanket over "her" sofa she is cozy and happy. couple picts in winter living post. we just had a 20 below day and stayed warm and happy good luck, enjoy
!! lovely new airstream you have!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
My wife and I full-timed in our 28' CCD for a year, with our Corgi and two cats. We learned that you can be perfectly happy without all the stuff people seem to think is absolutely necessary these days. If we were to do it again, even if money were no object, I'd probably stick with the 28' CCD and not get anything bigger.

The only thing we really missed was a fully-equipped kitchen, as we do a lot of serious cooking. My sense is that most people, especially younger people, don't really cook that way, and wouldn't be concerned.

Weather wasn't much of a factor, expcept for the coldest nights in winter, when the water pipes at some campgrounds froze up. That has nothing to do with the Airstream though. You could avoid that by insulating the pipes that feed your rig, which is not always an option at an RV facility.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Auburn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Sharp looking, love the accent color. I think you and your furry friend, (where's that picture? ahem?) will be very comfortable. Do join for a rally and a trip now and then, you'd be surprised how much the change makes the interior space seem bigger when the world changes from the windows.
Heres my furry friend. Meet Matilda (mattie, pup-pup, tilly, ect), the 11lb Boston Terrier who thinks shes 100lbs...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
AAAWWWW! What a little sweetie! She is adorable! It's like you could reach out and touch her. Great shot.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
You should have no trouble finding a discerning mate with that rig. However, its a shame to put that International on a bed and not use her for what she is really meant for. Double wides are made to live in, AS's are made to roll. GG
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
She's a beauty Ryan. Sounds like a great plan.

Oh yes and Welcome to the fourm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Ryan
Thanks for the advice! I plan to downsize a lot of junk I have so I won't need much storage. I have never had a trailer before, so I doubt I will miss what I don't know about or have expierence with.
I went and did the walk-though on the trailer today. Now I am really excited to get into it! I bought the extended wty for 7 years, it was an additional $2175 but I felt it was worth it after all I have heard from others.
Wish me luck! I start moving friday, and then I will have the trailer delivered next week sometime.
I can hardly wait!!!
PICS:

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi and welcome to the forums. You have a cool looking 28 footer to rough it in with your boston terrier. I have a rat terrier and as soon as I start to hook up he knows he gets to go somewhere. Hope you will be able to travel some while you build up your new business and Good Luck.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Hi and welcome to the forums. You have a cool looking 28 footer to rough it in with your boston terrier. I have a rat terrier and as soon as I start to hook up he knows he gets to go somewhere. Hope you will be able to travel some while you build up your new business and Good Luck.
Yea, I hope to travel aswell. I will need to buy a truck to tow the AS with as I only have 2 BMW's now, neither of which are an X5....
I am going to vegas in 5 weeks, and then to Italy in September, but hopefully I can take the trailer for a weekend or 2 between now and then aswell.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em comming!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
That's a good looking rig! Congratulations, I like the accent color.

There are 3 things you should do immediately after getting it (IMO).
  1. Pull the floor register and tape some window screen to the bottom around the edges. It will keep a lot of stuff from dropping down into the ductwork.
  2. Get a small tube of clear caulk and do the corners of the shower. There is a 99.44% certainty that it will leak.
  3. Enjoy!
Make that 99.999999999999% - we own the 2005 version of the same model and it is on it's second door (the first was installed upside down) and both leaked. The leak WILL occur in the corner by the hinge - you'll notice that the aluminum track doesn't terminate with a lip and water that drips on the track runs right off.

Best of luck -I hope you love yours as much as we do ours!!!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
Just an update...

I wanted to update this thread. I have been living in the airstream for almost 3 weeks now and I love it. Granted, I am going a little stir crazy but thats because the weather was bad, I have no phone/internet/cable and my DVD selection is rather small. I got my 26" Toshiba Regza LCD TV installed and put a car DVD/MP3/CD/AM/FM radio in place of the factory stereo.
I have the sewer hooked into the septic system so it makes for easy draining of the tanks. I also hooked up my city-water hose so I don't have to listen to that loud waterpump anymore.
I got the electrical wired up aswell. I had to trench up 500' of my property, (250 in each direction) to get all my underground utilities in place, but its all done and it looks much cleaner now.
The trailer is sitting on a leveled gravel pad and I will be installing an aluminum 18'x21' canopy over the trailer with room for parking my car next to it.
Anyhow, here are some pics of how it looks. These are a week or 2 old and its looking more settled now that it does in these.

The airstream matches my M3 quite well I think...

Next week I am building a deck around the side of the trailer to make a patio area that incorporates my spa aswell. This will give me a nice place to relax in the evening that is outside the trailer and for BBQ's/entertaining company.
Thanks for the advice guys, you were all right- the shower leaks at the corners (I fixed it) and the floor register gets crap down it. I am trying to see how long I can make a bottle of propane last, current bottle is on day 10 and is almost empty.
I would enjoy a bit more hot water from the water heater, so once this one goes bad I will probably get an instant tankless water heater instead so I can take a longer shower than 3min. Other than that, its comfortable for a single young guy like myself!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Looks great!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
That is all kinds of hot. Congratulations so far! Post pics when you start to put up the canopy, deck & spa; would love to see the progress.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Cool!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote