Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Perhaps time for a new inverter charger

Trouble is spending a couple of thousand would just about double the value of the MH so might not be a good idea

99 Airstream Cutter 35' diesel pusher.

Existing charger/inverter is a modified square wave and the remote control panel failed a couple of years ago AND I have no way of modifying the charging parameters whenever battery type is changed.

I'm back in Australia at the moment and failing memory means I can't remember what unit is currently installed so first step is could someone tell me what it is. It is a 1500W unit.

Second, has anyone installed something like a Xantrex 815-2012 Freedom SW Series 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger. I know I would have to fit circuit breakers to the output line because the current unit has them inbuilt, but apart from that - and the serious pain of spending good money on something that is still working - the rest of the installation should be straight forward

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looking at the original spec sheet, it shows an 98 Cutter with 2000w inverter?

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...852fff8837.pdf

The Clipper had the Freedom HEART inverter.
One on eBay now for sale.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Heart-Interf...1aQpAK&vxp=mtr

The panels are on there also.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xantrex-Hear...FaNBOX&vxp=mtr

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Tony,

Best (in my opinion anyway), is to go with either a 2000 watt Magnum MS-2012 or the Victron 12-3000 units. Both work extremely well, have no issues when properly installed and are really great pieces of equipment.

Let me know if you need any more info on either.

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
International Grey Nomad

Thanks Dave and Lewster for that info

I thought I had most of the factory supplied info on the Cutter, but that factory equipment sheet was missing.

This is the inverter charger I have installed
Poor quality from the sales movie the original owners took for me

which is obviously this one A Xantrex RV2012 Inverter/Charger. Model number sounds right too.

The RC6 remote control panel started playing up by rapidly flashing a lot of the leds and eventually went dark. Couldn't find the remote anywhere to buy at the time, which is why I gave up and just put up with it.

Lewster, do you know if that remote panel you referenced will work with my inverter. I'd be quite happy (middle name is Scrooge) to just replace the remote and spend the $2000 on something more useful.

Somehow I doubt it so looks like a complete new system is the answer.

The current unit supplies all the power I need so probably not any good reason to go for the 3000watt over the 2000W
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 02-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Tony,

The Magnum gives you full system info in real time and in ENGLISH.......not dots that you have to discern. Much better, IMHO.

Plus, I have replaced countless inverter/chargers with the Magnums (MS-2012 or MS-2812) and the owners have been well satisfied with their new devices.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
International Grey Nomad

Sounds good. Thanks Lew
Trip map at Spotwalla