Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Banks IQ2 - Engine Management/Display

Hi Folks:

Am looking into a system to display engine parameters, programming, performance, fuel use etc. You know all the nice things to know in these high fuel cost days.
I have looked at the Banks IQ2 which promises a lot of features such as programming the ECM, engine control module plus other stuff, you can see here . It appears from my conversation with them that at present they are not supporting the Vortec 7.1 454. Is there another system out there that someone is using which uses the ODB11 port? Perhaps if they get enough enquiries that they might do so in the future, Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Sorry, the link did not appear. here it is again. Banks Power | Gas Motorhomes, GM

Steve
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I had a Banks PowerPac on our 95 7.4 Burb great unit, but no provision for programming. Good performance and mpg gains but had to get a separate chip for the PCM.

I'm now using a Superchips FlashPac on the 06 8.1 Burb.
Has all the features I was looking for.
Towing, performance and economy modes, reads/clears fault codes. Change tire diameter, trans shift points, time/distance readouts and many more. This is the only unit I'm familiar with.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks Bob for your reply. For the Vortec 7.1 454 it is possible to have the engine control module reprogrammed Oemy's Web Site - does have a lot of info for the p30/32 chassis including getting current parameters via the ODBII, they send the info back and you can then reprogram the ECM, certainly not real time. I will check the link you provided.

Steve
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Steve,

Just checked all the info/specs for the Superchip offerings, they have nothing available for any of the motorhome chassis'.
That probably does mean that the only other option is to do it thru a custom download offering.....something I would be very leery of.
You MUST be able to store and re-install the OEM settings.

ps....I can see Fort Erie from my bedroom window.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've been studying the possibility of getting one of these for a long time. There is starting to be quite a variety of them out there. If you Google "Engine Tuners" you'll get listings for Edge Products, Hypertech, Superchips, Diablo Sport, and Bullydog. I've been leaning toward the Bullydog. But I can't speak to what's the best for any particular application.

From the little I know, most of these give you the option of taking a "snapshot" of your program and storing it prior to making any changes. Then you can always go back to OEM.
Thalweg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Robert
Checked with flashpac they have nothing for the 454 vortec. Not sure where to go from here. Banks has some good stuff but they are more into diesel and late model gas. I see Buffalo NY from here as well,
Thalweg, thanks for the hint. The problem is in the programming ($$$)of the devices that are available to specific vehiles(cars-trucks) the MH is not in their radar.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Just found this site UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool Seems like what I have been looking for. Anybody have any experience with this one? Price is right as well.

Steve
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Steve,

Check this out...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-ii-99400.html

Looks like there are no programing option's on the UG, but it does give you a lot of gauge's that should help in improving mpg's...if you use them...maybe.

Bob
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Bob,
Thanks for the link. I put in the order but they are out of stock and shipping expected end of Jan. Tranny temps and gas mileage are of particular interest. Will update oonce I get it in.

Steve
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Steve I just looked at the Ultragage link you listed above. I have a 2000 model Land Yacht with a 454 and want to add a chip. This looks more like a monitor. Did I miss something. I had great luck with Super Chips in Ford Gas Trucks but no experience with motorhome chassis.
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
Steve I just looked at the Ultragage link you listed above. I have a 2000 model Land Yacht with a 454 and want to add a chip. This looks more like a monitor. Did I miss something. I had great luck with Super Chips in Ford Gas Trucks but no experience with motorhome chassis.
I used the Jet 6-Pac Chip in our 95 7.4 Burb with very good results, six separate programs.

POI...along with Banks Power-Pac(stainless headers,cold air intake), Jacobs Double Strike Ignition, low temp thermostat, Bosch Plat plugs, Tekonsha external transmission filter and temp gauge.
Note the mod's were done at 16,000mi and resulted in a 3mpg towing improvement, (if my right foot was asleep), along with a pretty dramatic step-up in non-towing scoot!!!!

WARNING....be advised it took over 100,000mi before cost equaled results.
Burb was sold at 190,000mi.

Bob
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Sad that you can't get the Banks App for your needs, we have the EconoMind on our 02 Ram 3500 5.9Lcummins with the PDA that displays everything you will like and you can change the setting while driving and all we can say is WOW....what a difference, Banks is a good brand and their customer service is incredible!!!! Pricey but worth every cent
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
jrkeef - Yes the ultraguage is just a monitor and will display whatever gauges theECM delivers (determined by Chev) and what standard the OBD port uses. For "chipping" the ECM go here Oemy's Web Site - and look up Brazel$ Ultra product$ and read up on ROI for their Ultra Power offering. I have decided to upgrade the exhau$t header$, CAI and exhaust (Bank$ Power Pac) actually I did it in two $tep$, the headers and later the CAI and tuned exhaust. I do get increased zip with that arrangement and about 8.5 usmpg not towing. The challenge now is in stopping the 9 tons of rig. I would check the VIN for the year the chassis was built. On mine 'tho AS says it's a 2000, chassis is a 1999.
I am more interested in fuel management and some engine/tranny parameters. So the ultragauge fits my need esp @ $70.

VeggieBullet:
Banks does support the later 8.1L engine used in Workhorse chassis and is heavily committed to diesel and is their business model. Shame that the 7.1L Vortec has been orphaned.

I guess if enough "interest" is shown for a 454 IQ, they might? take it on.

Steve
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
As an old "Hotrodder" I would be inclined to make the exhaust header and airflow mods at some point. I was hopping for a more immediate boost with a chip. These days I have to have these mods done and finding competent mechanics and someone who will work on a MH much less an Airstream can be a challenge.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
For me the decision to replace the cracked exhaust headers (leaking) was made to put in the extra$ for the bank$. Also put in the super steer springs getting rid of the airbags. There is no "chip" per se, you need to reprogram the ECM to get any benefit. Oemeys has the info and co$t.

Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks Steve, I am more likely to wait and upgrade when necessary than to make expensive performance modifications that will take years to yield a return on investment. I bet that 454 sounds good with headers, CAI and Banks exhaust though. Old "Hotrodders" never grow up. I only drive from home to the VA Clinic or Loews but my daily driver is a 93' Ford Ranger Splash 4.0L that I bought new. At about 25K miles I juiced it up a bit with a chip, headers, cat back dual side exhaust, K&N air filter, tranny kit, Roush heads, 10" American Racing Mags, 285/60 performance tires etc...That old truck still sounds good but has well over 250K miles and mostly serves as a farm truck now.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
The headers made a big difference in the zip department. The leaky headers were chirping and the expense for removing, planing and putting it together would be the same as putting the Banks torque tubes in and is the route I made. It is a lot quieter in the cockpit. I really was not planning on burning rubber on the coach.