Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Scan Gauge II

Anyone using a ScanGuage II? I tow with an Excursion. I'm hoping to learn a little more about how the v10 uses fuel by reading the info provided by the SGII.
Additionally, I am looking forward to the extra info such as trans temp, charge voltage etc.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have used mine on 4 different vehicles. Currently it is hooked up in the F150. It is a bit redundant in the F150 as it has a very comprehensive electronic data display system already built in.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My excuse to buy the ScanGauge II was to monitor transmission temperature in the truck. I found that it also provides a much more honest assessment of fuel use than the truck's overly-optimistic computer. I bought an extra cable so it's easy to pop out of the truck and use it as a code reader/reset for our other vehicles as well. I'm happy with the purchase.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yes, my reason is for the trans temp data as well. My one big complaint with the Excursion (petty) is the rather soccer momish displays, and data output!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I compared and went with UltraGauge.

The old set of tools (mechanical) was:

1] tachometer
2] vacuum
3] fuel flow meter
and, optionally,
4] airspeed indicator

Usually a "set" is best to get an intuitive feel for what the vehicle is experiencing. After all, it really doesn't need us except to process visual information. This is about road & load. Traffic, weather and surface conditions.

The least amount of throttle (and brake & steering) is the optimum for FE. But the visual interpreter is subject to irrationality during information processing unlike the vehicle command. Bad code from the teenage years never subsequently re-written.

If the SG has a provision for "engine load", use it first to tailor footwork.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I use my SG II to watch EGT, diesel filter temp, and fuel flow (gallons per hour). The exhaust temps help me spot diesel regens, the fuel flow help me maximise fuel economy. It seems more responsive and meaningful than the miles per gallon calculation, but probably is basically the same info. the fourth gauge is usually set to engine oil, water, or transmission fluid temperature, or fuel level depending on circumstances.

I haven't found the torque or engine load gauges terribly effective, but haven't spent much time with them either.

2010 Ford F250 diesel.

Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I got my Scan Gauge installed last night, then the sun went down!
I entered codes for the "X-Gauges" I wanted. I spent a while tweeking and finally went for a test drive.

Overall a pretty nifty little gadget. It has all the features I need... trans temp, accurate fuel levels, water temp, etc.

I routed the wiring through the dash so nothing was visible, then hardwired the connection to the OBD II connector. This way, should I ever require service at the stealership, they can plug in without ripping my connector off. I have the pinout info should anyone want it.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Just so you all know, the ScanGuage II is on sale at Amazon for $115 for the next three hours or so. It is normally $135.

The above link is through my Amazon store.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you have an Android phone or tablet, there are a bunch of $5 app that do pretty much the same thing. I use this one, with a $10 bluetooth transmitter from ebay that plugs into the car.

If you want to check if this is for you then the cheaper setup might be a good entry point.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I really like my Scangauge II, and keep track of mileage, voltage, turbo boost and accurate engine temp. It doesn't work the same on all vehicles, though. My Sprinter does not give a trans temp feed to the computer, so I can't get that, unfortunately. I use it to clear codes that trip the CEL light each time I cold start ( I have a glowplug that's out), and use the trip functions frequently. It's a great tool.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote