Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Welding repairs

Does anyone have any info as to the possiblity of damage to the electronics and or batteries if you have any heliarc welding done to external parts of tne coach? I need to have a repair done to the screen door hinge, and the welder cautioned me to disconnect batteries before proceeding. Even with batteries disconnected, what are the possibilites of damage to chargers/univolt or other equipment? I had my old 66 tradewind worked on many years ago without any problem, even without disconnecting, but there are many more things to get destroyed on my 345. To get the door off is a real pain and I would prefere not to unbolt the door hinges as I have been there fixing the bolts ( annother real pain)! Again thanks in advance for any info!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
Does anyone have any info as to the possiblity of damage to the electronics and or batteries if you have any heliarc welding done to external parts of tne coach? I need to have a repair done to the screen door hinge, and the welder cautioned me to disconnect batteries before proceeding. Even with batteries disconnected, what are the possibilites of damage to chargers/univolt or other equipment? I had my old 66 tradewind worked on many years ago without any problem, even without disconnecting, but there are many more things to get destroyed on my 345. To get the door off is a real pain and I would prefere not to unbolt the door hinges as I have been there fixing the bolts ( annother real pain)! Again thanks in advance for any info!
Disconnecting the batteries, is a safety margin, just in case.

As long as the coach is not plugged into a source of electricity, the univolt will be fine, along with everything else.

ANDY
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Also, turn off the the propane at the bottles and drain the lines of stored propane by turning on a stovetop burner after turning off the propane at the valve(s). Let the flame go completely out and then turn it off.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
All depends on where he places the ground cable. The path of the current will be from the "torch" to the ground cable. If it's close, it should not be a problem. If it is far there will be a bigger antenna for the magnetic field.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
To minimize any gap arcing across a hinge I would suggest having him/her attach the ground lead to the part being welded.

Does anyone know the material alloy?

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
To minimize any gap arcing across a hinge I would suggest having him/her attach the ground lead to the part being welded.

Does anyone know the material alloy?

Best of luck,

Kevin
It may be 2024, which is not weldable. Too many alloys. Didn't think of that the first time.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
It may be 2024, which is not weldable. Too many alloys. Didn't think of that the first time.
Michelle.

I do not know what the alloy of the hinge is, but I do know that it's not 2024.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have done some welding on my door frame with my neighbors heliarc and had no problems.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote