Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #1801
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I need some recommendations on water pressure regulators. I'm using the type that are external and screw onto the water hose.

We have very high pressure here and the one I have (see pic) restricts the water to the point that I don't get any pressure at the galley sink. I've read reviews in the past that have said "most" of these are no good. Any out there that actually work?
Looking forward to hearing what others use. I'm going to need to buy one myself one of these days.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #1802
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I need some recommendations on water pressure regulators. I'm using the type that are external and screw onto the water hose.

We have very high pressure here and the one I have (see pic) restricts the water to the point that I don't get any pressure at the galley sink. I've read reviews in the past that have said "most" of these are no good. Any out there that actually work?

Makes no sense that you dont get pressure at the galley sink? Do you get a burst of pressure when you first open it and then it tapers down?
I have used those for many years and they always work well for me. You may have an unrelated issue somewhere in the line that only gets overcome with higher pressure.
Airstream Motorhomes (and trailers) have a built water pressure regulator. Assuming it is working, have you tried to connect the water supply without the above mentioned inline regulator? You may have some restriction in the onboard regulator.
I once connected my waterhose and only got a trickle of water inside.

I finally disconnected it again and discovered that many ants must have been in the hose and they plugged up the little water inlet screen.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #1803
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
When I first bought my coach I made the mistake of buying a water regulator; pretty expensive one too, with an oil filled pressure gauge....

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Adj.htm

...then I replaced all my plumbing with PEX-A.

PEX-A is designed to take a burst pressure of 800 PSI. if you're planning on hooking up to a water line with pressures above that; I'm pretty sure your water hose will crap out first.

I don't run a pressure regulator.....I have one for sale though.....

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #1804
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
When I first bought my coach I made the mistake of buying a water regulator; pretty expensive one too, with an oil filled pressure gauge....

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Adj.htm

...then I replaced all my plumbing with PEX-A.

PEX-A is designed to take a burst pressure of 800 PSI. if you're planning on hooking up to a water line with pressures above that; I'm pretty sure your water hose will crap out first.

I don't run a pressure regulator.....I have one for sale though.....

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
OK, so what's the pressure rating on all the other stuff that's hooked up to your plumbing? All the faucets, toilet, shower valve, water heater, water inlet, the water pump, any water filters you might have...

The point of failure from a transient high pressure event is typically an appliance or fixture, not the pipes themselves. Even with PEX-A pipe, a regulator is worthwhile protection.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #1805
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Time for a glass of wine and a camp fire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7874.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	332417  
Old 01-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #1806
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I disconnected the regulator and the filter and pressure in galley and bath are good...actually too high. Hooked up filter and pressure was high. Hooked up "old" inline regulator and pressure was what it should be. So the new regulator is crap. When I recently bought a new filter and a few other items, I got the new regulator simply to change out the old one which I have had for many years.

While recently fixing my broken plumbing, I removed the internal regulator originally installed by AS. After all these years I had no idea whether it was working or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7863.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	332436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7864.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	332437  

Old 05-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #1807
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
When I rounded the corner yesterday and glanced over at the MH and saw it leaning, I new I had some extra work ahead of me. I pulled the wheel and with the weight off the tire, it basically rebeaded itself. Tire was leaking at the valve stem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8606.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	339761Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8610.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	812.0 KB
ID:	339762
Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #1808
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
When I rounded the corner yesterday and glanced over at the MH and saw it leaning, I new I had some extra work ahead of me. I pulled the wheel and with the weight off the tire, it basically rebeaded itself. Tire was leaking at the valve stem.
Dean, you got lucky on that one!

I know you have to rotate your coach from site to site every so often, so I was surprised to see where it appears the tire had sunk into the ground. Is that typical?

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #1809
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My experience with those hose end regulators is that they are mainly a flow restrictor more than a pressure regulator. The Original Watts pressure regulator is a good unit and I believe they can be rebuilt. Don't trust any of them without a gauge on the low pressure side. Not uncommon for pressure to creep up when there is no flow. Another option is to put in a relief valve that will dump pressure overboard if it gets above a certain value. This would be down stream of any regulator. Here is what I am using. https://www.amazon.com/Watts-0009257...s%2C193&sr=8-3

Perry

Quote:
I disconnected the regulator and the filter and pressure in galley and bath are good...actually too high. Hooked up filter and pressure was high. Hooked up "old" inline regulator and pressure was what it should be. So the new regulator is crap. When I recently bought a new filter and a few other items, I got the new regulator simply to change out the old one which I have had for many years.

While recently fixing my broken plumbing, I removed the internal regulator originally installed by AS. After all these years I had no idea whether it was working or not.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #1810
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Thanks Perry. I'll check that one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
My experience with those hose end regulators is that they are mainly a flow restrictor more than a pressure regulator. The Original Watts pressure regulator is a good unit and I believe they can be rebuilt. Don't trust any of them without a gauge on the low pressure side. Not uncommon for pressure to creep up when there is no flow. Another option is to put in a relief valve that will dump pressure overboard if it gets above a certain value. This would be down stream of any regulator. Here is what I am using. https://www.amazon.com/Watts-0009257...s%2C193&sr=8-3

Perry
Old 05-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #1811
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I think I was lucky! We took the tire into town anyway since I didn't have any spare valve cores. It was nice to have my 1/2" 20volt impact with me to make the job easier. With the ruts and flat tire, I used the front hydraulic jack, a bottle jack and a low profile floor jack to raise the front end. It was a busy two days dealing with the flat tire, burned up electrical receptical on my friend's trailer and a slide out on that trailer that isn't working.

The ruts on that space were from the last time we switched spaces back in Feb (lots of rain this year). I basically "sunk in" backing the MH into that space back in Feb. Right now the ground is like concrete!

It hasn't been a relaxing weekend, but we did get a short ride in before the sun went down yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Dean, you got lucky on that one!

I know you have to rotate your coach from site to site every so often, so I was surprised to see where it appears the tire had sunk into the ground. Is that typical?

Brad
Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #1812
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _

Name:	IMG_8616.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	339784Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8620.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	339785
Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #1813
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
What should the wheels be torqued to? This is the first time I’ve taken a wheel off the MH myself.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #1814
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
What should the wheels be torqued to? This is the first time I’ve taken a wheel off the MH myself.
175 ft/lbs

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #1815
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Could have been worse!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190328_170137.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	681.3 KB
ID:	339931  
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #1816
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
This renator M11-0660R regulator has worked well for me
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Hn4iGINfCmKHwh
Old 05-07-2019, 04:35 AM   #1817
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Could have been worse!
Wow! A Classic motorhome doubling as a farm tractor and plowing furrows
Old 05-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #1818
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wow! A Classic motorhome doubling as a farm tractor and plowing furrows
Let's just say AAA is losing money on me
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #1819
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Could have been worse!

Now that is some plowing! What are you going to plant in those rows? I love corn being that I have Minnesota blood in me!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #1820
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Well I don’t know if the MH will ever see the highway again but I’m trying to keep up on some of the maintenance. Time sure does go by fast. Looking at my log book, there is a three year stretch of not using/doing anything to the MH.

So I did a few things today. I replaced the small plastic cover on the roof fan cover motor. They crack at the screw holes. Replaced the oil and filter on the GenSet. Hard to believe how many years it’s been since I changed that last. For 50 year old technology, I’m amazed it still runs and starts right up. It is pretty much useless though with amount of fuel it burns, noise, vibration and exhaust fumes it puts out but good for an emergency.

Replaced the coolant overflow tank with another O’reilly cheapy. The sun and heat cracked the old one a few years back. I need to put a cover in front of it like I did for the windshield washer tank. At least I can run the engine and move the MH around the ranch.

Well time for a glass or two or three of wine and watch the sky grow dark. Possible thunderstorm tonight. Just heard the crack of thunder up the mountain and got a few rain drops. This is the only time of year now that I welcome a thunderstorm. Only 89 degrees today. Give it one more month and that lighting in 115 degree weather would have started a fire. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9063.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	342055Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9065.JPG
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	342056Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9067.JPG
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	342057Click image for larger version