Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Mystery power switch: '87 345

Can anyone tell me what this power switch controls?
(1987 345 exterior wall between the galley window and spice rack)

Haven't figured that one out yet, even after checking the manuals.

Thanks!

'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:07 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Amsterdam , --
I think it's the switch that powers the hot water tap (if installed in the kitchen's sink) on and off.
Actually, to be more precise: it switches the AC-receptacle below the sink where the hot water tap (if installed) is powered from.

Niek/ Amsterdam
niekbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:45 AM   #3
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by niekbeem View Post
I think it's the switch that powers the hot water tap (if installed in the kitchen's sink) on and off.
Actually, to be more precise: it switches the AC-receptacle below the sink where the hot water tap (if installed) is powered from.

Niek/ Amsterdam
Bedankt! Yes - that instant hot water heater was the first thing I removed from my bus. Seemed something we would never use, but even more would not trust from an electric or water safety standpoint. But then I was flipping that switch and found nothing, so the mystery is now solved!

Just yesterday I removed the original Duotherm front furnace from under the galley sink. It has served 37 years but was popping, sputtering, even backfiring. Perhaps it can be used as parts for the rear Duotherm, but I am going to convert the space it occupied to an open cut out for a plastic bin where I can store shoes and things accessible while even standing outside at the door.

The propane supply for that furnace now has a valve and quick disconnect with a 20ft stainless braided propane hose extension. For heat, I bought a Wave6 catalytic heater with leg stands so it can be positioned anywhere inside the coach for silent, radiant heat requiring no additional power. Maybe it will might add some comfort on cool evenings sitting outside under the awning, as that braided hose will now pass through the old furnace's lower intake port for outside supply to our portable BBQ or a propane fire pit.

I've decided also to re-purpose the upper exhaust port as a pass-through for an expandable outside water hose that would connect to the kitchen sink's water supply. This way we'll have an outside water supply to wash off dirty feet, bicycle tires (we store them inside) maybe just a quick rinse off after a lake swim. I'm thinking we have plenty of water so anything we can rinse outside and not then carry gray water storage is an advantage.
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote