Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #855
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I drained and refilled the leveling jack reservoir this afternoon. It's an easy job. Manual states 9 quarts of ATF Type A. It took 10 quarts...that's why I bought 10!

Manual says to change once a year. I don't know if it has ever been changed. I don't really think I'll do it once a year.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #856
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
This is my view this evening as I sit under the awning with iPad on lap and a glass of wine in hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3211171684.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	170747  

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #857
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Yup, you will need an engine if you ever want to get her on the road!
Got the engine, just need time to clean and paint the engine compartment and install it

This trip I'm on should be my last one for a long time so I will hopefully get time later this winter or early spring to start making some progress.

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #858
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
Sounds like the previous owner did some mountain driving...
When I installed a rear electric fuel pump on my 28', I also installed a switch with an indicator light. In the flatlands I drove it with the fuel pump off, but once I hit the Rockies and started to climb my first 10 footer, I started to get fuel starvation. As soon as I flipped the switch, the problem was solved. I sure was glad I went through the trouble to install it...
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #859
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

Sounds like the previous owner did some mountain driving...
When I installed a rear electric fuel pump on my 28', I also installed a switch with an indicator light. In the flatlands I drove it with the fuel pump off, but once I hit the Rockies and started to climb my first 10 footer, I started to get fuel starvation. As soon as I flipped the switch, the problem was solved. I sure was glad I went through the trouble to install it...
Peter, do you remember what make/model of pump you installed?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #860
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Peter, do you remember what make/model of pump you installed?
Sorry Dean, that was in 2001 , all I remember is buying some in stock fuel pump for around $40.- Bucks. But the second best thing I did at the same time was to install a heavy duty canister type fuel filter just in front of that fuel pump. The reason was driven by a breakdown on a 2 lane Hwy construction zone in Northern New Mexico. My primary fuel filter was the glass type I now only use in my genset compartment. Those kind of filters get clogged up by real fine particles. Man, did I learn my lesson being stuck right at the guy with a flag directing traffic. Fortunately, I immediately remembered to check that filter and had a spare filter insert in my magic box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Framfilter.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	170832  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #861
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dean,

The document that Steve recently posted in the sticky thread lists the model number of the pump installed by GM.

Whatever pump it is they sure seem to last a long time.

Brad
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #862
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
on...on...off...off

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
Yep, we have a switch(toggle)on the dash...post production...flip that puppy off, and we're dead in the water in 15-20 seconds...Besides being our support, it's a deterrent for moho thieves that can't read...the label is one of those stick-on things that you squeeze the trigger(kinda like a StarTrek phaser), and the the letters/numbers emboss...THAT dates it as well as anything ...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #863
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
...Besides being our support, it's a deterrent for moho thieves that can't read...the label is one of those stick-on things that you squeeze the trigger(kinda like a StarTrek phaser), and the the letters/numbers emboss...THAT dates it as well as anything ...
That sort of label is exactly how our switch is labeled, and yes it does sort of date things doesn't it

Good point about being an anti-theft althought right now anyone that wants to steal mine is going to have to work at it.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #864
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
The GM PDF states that the 454 of that era is rated at Wide Open Throttle(WOT) 25gph at min 2PSI and max 3 PSI.
The pump they suggest is a Holley 12-802.
Looks like that number is old... the latest version is 12-802-1.
About $140 but includes a fuel pressure regulator.. which is needed cos this pump is rated at 88GPH @ 8psi.

Holley Performance Products 110 GPH "Blue" Electric Fuel Pump With Regulator*12-802-1
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #865
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Yep, we have a switch(toggle)on the dash...post production...flip that puppy off, and we're dead in the water in 15-20 seconds...Besides being our support, it's a deterrent for moho thieves that can't read...the label is one of those stick-on things that you squeeze the trigger(kinda like a StarTrek phaser), and the the letters/numbers emboss...THAT dates it as well as anything ...
LOL... it was called a DYMO...

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #866
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I've been looking at that Holly 12-802-1 fuel pump. It's a bit pricy but what the heck!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #867
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:

Mine now has a switch labeled fuel pump, I have had stalling for unknown reasons, bad anytime it happens but worst was in the Georgia mountains. I did a complete check of fuel pressure, filter and tank for sediments(none), so while I had access to fuel pump added an extra wire so that I can bypass solenoids and computer with a direct 12v supply to the pump, wired it with a lit switch, if light goes out I can turn on the pump with the switch. Since installing hasn't stalled for 3,000 miles.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #868
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
See it for just over $100 shipped on Ebay Dean...
Or this one, is cheaper, but no FPR..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3136-1/?rtype=10

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome