Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #1021
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
Definitely go dark. Great job by the way. I am impressed by the carpet install..not an easy task.
Thanks! Just got to find the right dark!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #1022
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
As always Dean, looking GREAT!

Any sign of leaks after the rain?
Well, I still have my windshield leak, that's why I have the mixing bowl sitting on the dash. Four inches of water in it after that last storm! It's leaking a lot more after I removed the tape from the windshield gasket, so I'm sure it is the windshield gasket.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1023
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I like the grey with the carpet. The other looks brown to me. If you have to go dark, at least go dark grey not brown.
There is a dark gray that I like as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2946475842.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	180430  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #1024
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,825
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
There is a dark gray that I like as well.
That looks much better to me.

You could also do light grey with dark inserts.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #1025
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,693
Images: 1
That sucks.
For what its worth...
My floor was soaking wet the other week..
I took plastic scraper, and raked out all the old hard sealant first.
Then I wedged the scraper into the roof/gasket gap, and as I moved along the joint I sweezed Tempro 635 into the joint behind, as I moved the scraper along.
Then I left it alone.
As my gasket is old and hard, I just let it find its happy spot...
After the heavy rain of last week, I went back and checked... all dry in the cockpit... so far!

You can maybe see the sealant as it squeezed out in this pic..


Planning to go back once its harder and slice the excess off with a blade.

Worth a shot if you have not tried..
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #1026
Rivet Master
 
wxbuoy's Avatar
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,236
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Great job! The carpet looks like a professional did it.

Is the drivers chair new?

As far as opinion on color of fabric. I would normally say darker to contrast with the carpet and give the space some dimension since you have he light overhead cabinets. However this will have an effect of separating the driving deck from the main salon. It would therefor make it look like you have two spaces vice a bigger space. This might be good or bad, but something to think about. I would probably stay in the same color tone as the front seats. However, I wouldn't use any fabric with a pattern since you will have the carpet and seat patterns working against each other. May not pop out at you but subconsciously you brain will pick it up and therefore may not seem a relaxing space for some reason.

Let me know how it goes. I am going over today to a local upholstery shop to see about getting our gaucho redone and some other work.
__________________
Dave and Felicia
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1027
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,868
Dean,

When I bought the tube of sealant for sealing the Argosy windshield I somehow ended up ordering several extra. If you PM me your mailing address I'll stick a tube in the mail for you. I was able to do the entire Argosy windshield with less than one tube.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #1028
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Dean,

When I bought the tube of sealant for sealing the Argosy windshield I somehow ended up ordering several extra. If you PM me your mailing address I'll stick a tube in the mail for you. I was able to do the entire Argosy windshield with less than one tube.

Brad
Brad, that would be great. I'll get my address to you soon! Thanks!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #1029
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
I finished up the doghouse today and put the cab all back together! I'm so glad that job is done. So I grabbed a beer , sat in the driver's seat and watched the sun set behind the mountain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4017089150.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	180515   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-498782260.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	180516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2124212631.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	180517   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3173976036.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	180518  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1090315387.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	180519  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1030
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
That sucks.
For what its worth...
My floor was soaking wet the other week..
I took plastic scraper, and raked out all the old hard sealant first.
Then I wedged the scraper into the roof/gasket gap, and as I moved along the joint I sweezed Tempro 635 into the joint behind, as I moved the scraper along.
Then I left it alone.
As my gasket is old and hard, I just let it find its happy spot...
After the heavy rain of last week, I went back and checked... all dry in the cockpit... so far!

You can maybe see the sealant as it squeezed out in this pic..

Planning to go back once its harder and slice the excess off with a blade.

Worth a shot if you have not tried..
I'll probably do the same as you did. I did get the leak to stop a couple years ago. I've made a real mess up there around the windshield gasket and I have a lot of clean up work to do there.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #1031
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Great job! The carpet looks like a professional did it.

Is the drivers chair new?

As far as opinion on color of fabric. I would normally say darker to contrast with the carpet and give the space some dimension since you have he light overhead cabinets. However this will have an effect of separating the driving deck from the main salon. It would therefor make it look like you have two spaces vice a bigger space. This might be good or bad, but something to think about. I would probably stay in the same color tone as the front seats. However, I wouldn't use any fabric with a pattern since you will have the carpet and seat patterns working against each other. May not pop out at you but subconsciously you brain will pick it up and therefore may not seem a relaxing space for some reason.

Let me know how it goes. I am going over today to a local upholstery shop to see about getting our gaucho redone and some other work.
Thanks!

The cab seats are not the original. My dad put these in years ago and I just love them.

I thought I had my mind made up on the upholstery color, but now I'm very confused again as to what to go with! LOL.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1032
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Twilight...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1978657406.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	474.0 KB
ID:	180528  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1033
Rivet Master
 
gloran's Avatar
 
1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 508
Dean,
Did you contact glue your carpet or use a carpet stapler for installation? Just wondering, carpet looks nice.
__________________
gloran - 1993 LY MH 33' - Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1034
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
Dean,
Did you contact glue your carpet or use a carpet stapler for installation? Just wondering, carpet looks nice.
I'm using tack strips on the main salon floor area. I used carpet glue on the step up to the cab. The cab floor is a combination of staples and carpet glue. The dog house is carpet glued and stapled at the sides. All vertical panels are carpet glued.

And thank you for the compliment! It is much appreciated!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #1035
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
The Pink Carpet is Gone!

I got out the good camera this afternoon. I'm sure your'e tired of seeing my interior photos, but I'm not. LOL. So you just have to forgive me!

The piece of carpet on the galley floor is what was left over and it is just temporary until I install the laminate (at a later date).

I'm now sitting in the Captain's chair, with only the walkway lights on, drinking some wine, listening Barry White on the stereo and enjoying all my hard work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1954357995.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	180616   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3192748819.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	180617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2225503693.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	180618   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2586470455.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	180619  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2000074133.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	180620   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2153512215.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	180621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1050846698.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	180626   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2911678729.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	180627  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-452433480.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	180628   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2678899613.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	180629  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2258375486.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	180631  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #1036
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 202
What a beautiful MH you have. I have been following this thread since day one and appreciate what a thoughtful job you have done...very tasteful. Now that I have seen the interior I don't think you could wrong with either brown, grey or taupe...but I would stick to the medium to darker tones. First choices are usually best...you have really coordinated things well...don't get too many opinions...including mine .
Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #1037
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
What a beautiful MH you have. I have been following this thread since day one and appreciate what a thoughtful job you have done...very tasteful. Now that I have seen the interior I don't think you could wrong with either brown, grey or taupe...but I would stick to the medium to darker tones. First choices are usually best...you have really coordinated things well...don't get too many opinions...including mine .
Gene
Hi Gene. Thanks so much! I definitely am going with a darker color but not the gray. I need something warmer...gray is so cold!
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #1038
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Today, I installed the heater ducts from the furnace to front of the MH (under the couch). I ran the ducts in front of the water heater instead of over and behind it. The bends in the duct work was killing the air flow. I also removed and made a new small panel between the shower tub and the toilet. I used left over materials and painted it to match the tub paint (painted panel not shown).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-643541485.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	180761   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1495058085.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	180762  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2521545085.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	180763   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2931916953.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	180764  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2377520267.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	180765   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1634289825.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	180766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-533463755.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	607.9 KB
ID:	180767  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #1039
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,161
Well, it's definitely time to drive down the mountain and head home. This is all I have left in the MH to eat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-212747126.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	180768  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #1040
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Well, it's definitely time to drive down the mountain and head home. This is all I have left in the MH to eat!
I'm surprised you still had some wine left after all that work

I like the duct insulation, good idea.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream toy trailer, furnished, 2002 edition, 11" eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 01-18-2011 10:00 AM
'68 Overlander to Toy Hauler maxtime General Repair Forum 5 01-01-2011 09:32 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.