Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

The overhead liner in the cab has a picture glued in place and some velcro strips stuck up there as well. Any suggestions on how to get them off without damaging the liner?

Attachment 178742

Brad
Good update. I like what you did with the steps! As far as the overhead picture goes, I think any type of chemical is going to do more damage than good. So camouflage is about you best choice. Is there kind of wood or metal plate or object that would work there? A wireless speaker perhaps.., trying to think of more, but kinda had with out a beer in my hand staring at it

Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave, I'm going to be painting the inner end caps because they are so yellowed and have various cracks on them that will need to be repaired. I suppose if I scratch it a little bit it won't matter since it will be refinished.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad, what will you be using to paint your end caps and any other plastic? A lot of the plastic in mine had turned yellow or cracked. After some repairs it'd like to get everything in one color. I've never much luck painting plastic. Also, any suggestions for fixing a cracked shower basin?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt, there have been several posts on airforums on how to repair and refinish the end caps. A lot of people take them out. I'm still not sure I want to do that.

I believe the paint used is Fusion paint for plastics and for repairs you use a mixture of ABS plastic and MEK to create a mixture with the consistacy of elmers glue or similar. Keyair details the process pretty well in his thread.

Brad
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt, same sort of repair for the floor using a mixture of ABS and MEK.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Thanks for the advice. For now I am going to focus on the plumbing because weather has been very questionable.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well today I managed to make some progress on the Argosy!

First thing was to remove the frame cross member that sits below the radiator as a guard. It's important to have in place while driving but for service work on the lower front of the motor its a real pain when it's in place. I drilled out the four rivets and will replace them with grade 8 bolts. The 345 I dismantled had this mod done to it at some point in it's past so I'm fairly comfortable doing this to the Argosy. It was interesting to find out that the 1986 345 cross member is identical to the cross member in my 1974 Argosy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-guard-in.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	179742Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-guard-out.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	179743

Next up was installing the new 50 amp transfer switch and the new electrical entrance panel along with a new shore power cord.

Name:	74-argosy-xfer-sw-breaker-panel.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	179744Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-xfer-sw-breaker-panel-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	179745

50 amp service for a 20' Argosy motorhome is probably way overkill but since I had to rework the entire electrical system anyway I figured what the heck Besides I'm installing a 6.5kv Onan generator, which is also overkill, so 50 amp service just made sense.

One thing about the 50 amp service is the shore power cord is massive and heavy. Fortunately my Argosy has a compartment in the lower left rear corner right below the compartment that houses the transfer switch and entrance panel.

Name:	74-argosy-shore-cord-compartment.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	179748

I decided to use that compartment to store the shore power cord and I copied how our 1984 310 has a notch in the compartment door for the shore power cord to fit through and still allow the compartment door to be locked while connected to shore power.

Name:	84-310-shore-cord-compartment-notch.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	179747

Drilled a 1" hole in the compartment door and then removed the remaining section to make a slot just like the 310. Works as good as I had hoped it would.

Name:	74-Argosy-shore-cord-compartment-notch-start.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	179746Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-shore-cord-compartment-notched-door.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	179749

Oddly enough, the Argosy only used one circuit breaker for the entire 120vac system. Originally there were six outlets, fridge, microwave and dc converter powered by this one breaker. At some point in the past a roof top air conditioner was added to this circuit as well. To make matters worse I'm adding a dual propane/120vac hot water heater to the mix! I will be doing some rework of the 120vac wiring and will likely end up with four circuits. I think having one circuit for all those devices was just absurd. The 50 amp shore power should handle everything nicely

Brad
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Last night I finally took the time to fabricate some spacers that I needed for mounting the radiator.

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-fab.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	179885

Both of the original rubber isolation mounts were in pretty poor shape and I couldn't find a source for the originals so after a lot of searching I came up with some rubber isolation mounts from McMaster-Carr. Only problem was they needed a spacer fabricated for them to work properly in my application.

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-5.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	179886Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	179887Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	179888Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	179889Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radiator-iso-mount-1.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	179890

As near as I have been able to determine they will space the radiator off the frame the same amount as the originals. If not then I can add washers or fabricate a spacer to raise it as needed.

Weather permitting I'll set the radiator in place on the chassis tonight to see how they will work. Assuming they work then I'll mount the radiator to the engine test stand. That puts me one step closer to be able to start the new motor for the first time

Brad
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Last night I finally took the time to fabricate some spacers that I needed for mounting the radiator.

Both of the original rubber isolation mounts were in pretty poor shape and I couldn't find a source for the originals so after a lot of searching I came up with some rubber isolation mounts from McMaster-Carr. Only problem was they needed a spacer fabricated for them to work properly in my application.

As near as I have been able to determine they will space the radiator off the frame the same amount as the originals. If not then I can add washers or fabricate a spacer to raise it as needed.

Weather permitting I'll set the radiator in place on the chassis tonight to see how they will work. Assuming they work then I'll mount the radiator to the engine test stand. That puts me one step closer to be able to start the new motor for the first time

Brad
Very nice work, Brad!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Tonight I got the new 22" x 22" A/C condenser mounted to the radiator. The new condenser has a fin surface area of 420 sq in and the original condenser had 448 sq in of fin surface area. That means my new condenser has about 6% less surface area than the original one but the new one is a Super Flow (parallel flow) condenser which is supposed to be 30% more efficient than the original style radiator. The 22" x 22" condenser was the largest Super Flow condenser I could find. For some reason the parallel flow condensers are all wider than they are tall. Since the new condenser is so much more efficient I hope it makes up for the 6% difference in size.

Name:	74-argosy-new-condenser-mounting-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	179957

The aluminum angle that I used to mount the condenser to the radiator is salvaged aluminum from the 345 I dismantled. In more ways than one that 345 is going to live on

Name:	74-argosy-new-condenser-mounting-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	179958

Since the new condenser is so much wider than the original I had to modify the mounting bracket that fastens the radiator to the truck frame. If you're wondering why the aluminum angle is wider than the condenser, I'm going to use those exposed strips for mounting the electric fan brackets.

Name:	74-argosy-new-condenser-mounting-mod.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	179959

Next task is to mount the new twin 10" electric fans in front of the condenser. I originally was going to mount the engine oil cooler and the transmission cooler in front of the condenser but I've decided to relocate them off to the side sandwiched together with their own little electric fan. I want that condenser to do it's job so I can have cold air blowing from the dash vents

Once the fans are mounted I'll bolt the radiator with condenser and fans to the truck chassis to check for any potential interference points and get them resolved now instead of when I'm trying finish things up.

Brad
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well, made a little more progress today. Since we're having sunshine and temps in the 50s this weekend I figure it was time to try and wrap up the roof A/C installation. Before I could finish framing the roof opening I needed to pull a new 12/2 cable from the breaker box to the opening. Managed to get that done fairly quickly and while I was at it I pulled a new antenna cable using RG-6.

Name:	74-argosy-antenna-wire-pulled.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	180491Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	180486

As I noted in an earlier post whoever installed the original roof top A/C really did a hack job. Using the Multi-Tool and some patience (who me?!) I managed to get the opening looking halfway decent. Now I have to move inside to cut the proper opening on the ceiling.

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-5.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	180487

Instead of using lumber to frame the opening I opted to use some of the salvaged aluminum ribs from the 345. From what I can tell it seems that approach will be just fine.

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	180488Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	180489Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	180493Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-ac-opening-1.jpg
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	180490

The original antenna plastic was really deteriorated, so much so that I was able to just snap the mast off. I then used the Multi-Tool to trim the remainder of the mast off so I could get access to the mounting hardware. As you can see in the picture the antenna must have leaked because the metal plate was a flaking rusty mess. A few minutes with a cut-off wheel on my 4-1/2" grinder and I got it to where the mount came loose from the roof.

Name:	74-argosy-old-antenna-mount-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	180495Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-old-antenna-mount-2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	536.6 KB
ID:	180494Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-old-antenna-mount-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	180492

The good news is the new Jack antenna will cover all three holes. I'm hoping to have the air conditioner and Jack antenna installations complete sometime tomorrow. Then it will be time to get back to working on removing the dash aluminum plate cover. I want to get the dash wrapped up soon so I can start thinking about the engine installation

Brad
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Nice job Brad on the A/C opening. How did your multi-tool work? Last summer when I installed my new Fantastic fans, I had to enlarge the opening for the rear vent since it was still the original fan. I started to use a dremmel type tool...big mistake. I'm still finding aluminum shavings all over the bedroom. I got out the tin snips to finish the job!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks!

The Multi-Tool worked great. Like your dremel, when I was enlarging the opening a lot of aluminum dust was generated. For me that's not an issue right now as I'm going to be tearing out of the interior so I can replace all of the original plywood flooring, and since the interior walls and cabinets are made of flimsy panel board I'd like to upgrade with some nice 3/4" oak plywood for the walls and cabinets. I'm basically planning on making a whole new interior for it.

Brad
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Thanks!

The Multi-Tool worked great. Like your dremel, when I was enlarging the opening a lot of aluminum dust was generated. For me that's not an issue right now as I'm going to be tearing out of the interior so I can replace all of the original plywood flooring, and since the interior walls and cabinets are made of flimsy panel board I'd like to upgrade with some nice 3/4" oak plywood for the walls and cabinets. I'm basically planning on making a whole new interior for it.

Brad
You are definitely making progress! I like that you reused the scrap rib. wood never seemed right in an all aluminum construction. If you decide you need to practice your interior design and construction skills come on down..... Actually forget that, that is the only thing I am good at, What I need is some mechanical ability!