Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
As of today only 700 R brave enough to go the dust bowl.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
WoodNStreamer

1961 22' Flying Cloud
2012 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Hi. We're all paid up and my wife and I are going to attend the Wy. International (our first). Vintage trailer in vintage parking area. So! when and how do we connect with all the other vintage trailer attendees? I'm under the impression that we will all get parked and then unhook/packup and leave the event then parade back in and most likely end up in a different spot than we were in the evening before. I've heard the parade is the thing to do with your vintage trailer (I've seen the pictures) but it sounds like something is amiss. Is it normally done this way- to setup then packup then parade back in? I know the WBCCI isn't real fond of vintage trailers (just watch the DVD they give you when you join) - within a couple of minutes they tell the vintage trailer owner that he has his own group. I turned the DVD off at that point since I already felt unwelcome. Thank goodness for the VAC and the region units that are welcoming to new members. Anyway we're coming and want to be with "our group". I'll keep my eyes peeled for info on the way it's to be done this year. Mike and Meg
WoodN48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Mike&Meg! Glad to hear you'll be joining us in Gillette. It'll ge nice to meet you. Traditionally the Vintage Club gathers the night before and then parades into the site of the International the following day.

In prior years we've done this off-site on just on a parking lot. However, as there are more people who need power for CPAP machines we moved these to where power would be availalble such as a campground. We'd stay overnight, hitch up and parade in the next morning.

Gillette presented some unique challenges in that there were very limited options for campgrounds with enough space available for our group. They have a lot of their spaces filled by people living in their campers out there, too. SO, the best option available was just to utilize the space available right there at the Camplex. Advantage is we've already paid for that space. There are full hookups, too! And all the amenities available at the Rally. Gillette is also a very difficult town to navigate a group of trailers through. The local police agencies basically would not approve any parade route through the town. It's just too busy. So from the standpoint of safety, it made sense to start from the CAM-PLEX.

It also turns out that there will be other events going on concurrently with the parade. Some of our members are required to be at those events and may not be able to participate in the parade. We'd like to encourage everyone who can to be in the parade. It means a tremendous amount to our Intra-Club and is a highlight of the early Rally activities for many in attendance. You can see the looks on a lot of faces as our vintage units go by and you know they're remembering "Yeah, we had one of those back in the day!" It's really a great feeling that I get every year I've been part of this event.

So at any rate, the on-site Rendezvous worked out the best for this year. Yes, we have to hitch up and parade back in, but the way we used to do it was basically the same, only starting from a different location.

I'm sorry about you feeling 'unwelcomed' by the WBCCI as a vintage owner. I've never experienced that feeling expressed through the membership of the club. I DO feel a great deal of camaraderie with our Vintage Intra-Club. Friends I've made there are lasting and meaningful. I've always been made very welcome at any WBCCI function at the unit, region or international level.

Here is a link to give you more information as the Rally approaches:

AirForums Calendar Entry for Internation Rally Rendezvous and Parade

You may also find more information on the VAC Website. I don't think I should post a link to another forum here, but you will find it in the calendar section there and on the WBCCI forums. Also feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Wow! I just took a look at the fees for this event and I'm shocked to find if we're not bringing our Airstream it will cost $300 to attend! I'm used to paying way more for attendance to professional conferences, but I am having trouble understanding why the fee would be this much for a couple. As you read this, keep in mind I'm a new Airstreamer, I've never been to any type of RV Rally and I live right here in Gillette...I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining.

So, with that said, what will I get for my $300? I've looked over the program, but I don't really know what all of it means. Please tell me what is so interesting at these rallys. I just don't get it yet.
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
First let me say "Hello and Welcome." It would be great to make your acquaintance and you could be a huge source of local knowledge to those of us coming to your hometown!

It's a shame that the prices are what they are. I'm just a lowly Vintage Airstream Intra-Club VP. So I have no say in what the WBCCI charges. I can understand one's sticker shock.

I will relate my thoughts on the Rally and why it has value to me. I guess I would start by saying it's great to see old friends! We have made quite a few enduring friendships in the WBCCI and look forward to renewing these every year! I know that would not apply to you on your first time out, and quite frankly, if you're not camping, I could see a diminished value to the whole experience. It is a camping club, after all. I think that the WBCCI offers the non-camping option to help those members that are now unable to make a cross-country journey with their rigs, but still wish to remain involved and stay engaged with old friends.

There are many events at the rally. Some may or may not appeal to you. I enjoy the seminars given by members on various topics. (Solar power, 12 volt management, GPS, towing safety, etc.) Of course, I have a vintage interest and enjoy those seminars in particular. We show movies from the old caravans and host various seminars and demonstrations (polishing, riveting, etc). There are programs every night. Usually an interesting assortment of vendors on site that provide RV related goods and services. Airstream corporate execs provide updates on the products (and some really great door prizes!). There is some sort of entertainment provided every night. Then you have lots of other activities that again, may or may not appeal to you. But pet shows, scrap-booking, photography, square dancing, etc. Cap it off with a flea market where you can pick up the occasional good bargain.

If the rally were right here in my hometown, though, I think it would spoil some of the experience for me. I enjoy a destination, the journey, the accomplishment of getting there, seeing new sights, and then coming home.

It's a shame they don't offer a day pass so you could stick your toe in the water and just sample what it's like!

But in a way they do, because on Sunday June 27th from 1p to 4p during the Open House. It's free for anyone in the community to come and browse around. We'll be having a special event in the Vintage section where you can tour the trailers! Just drop by. We'll be parked in the area off Boxelder.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
RedOne

1978 Argosy 24
emmett , Idaho
I haven't been to a rally yet but we were strongly considering the trip to gillette, maybe stop through yellowstone on the way.
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We are planning on being there. We won't be in the vintage section, but we will be cheering them on when they parade in.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Sounds like something we will want to hear/see the Argosy presentations! We have the Argosy in the paint shop right now. Anxious to get it back and finish the updating. We feel we are on count down to Gillette! LOL
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Mary and I will call or come to the CamPlex and find out if there is a day price. I'd love to look around and get to know some of you. I want to find out what a 2010 Airstreamer is like!
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote