Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
STS-133 Space Shuttle Viewing & Camping Opportunity

The recreation park associated with Kennedy Space Center, KARS1, is sponsoring a launch party/viewing (Nov 1) and overnight camping (Oct 29 -Nov 1). Currently, the final launch of Discovery is scheduled for 4:40 pm EST on November 1, 2010.

I have a full page *wish list* for Ophelia (polishing, install inverter, fix vista views, replace running lights with LEDs, etc). For some help, I can work up a pretty sweet launch deal for you.... just kidding... here's some info that some of you might be able to use.

If you are interested in attending the Launch Party or Overnight Camping, please let me know. I will not be attending either event at KARS due to another committment.... but if you are interested in this event, I'll forward you additional info. I'm not organizing anything for this launch but I hope to host another rally for the final shuttle flight in Feb 2011 (or, if Obama signs the Space Act, the final, final launch in June 2011).

Some of you attended my STS-130 Rally and may recall that coordinating and communicating with KARS can be a bit *muddled*. Just remember that the park is intended for KSC/Federal Employees and they are not equipped for large events.... you've been warned.

The email message I received from KARS
We are pleased to announce several special events occurring in conjunction with the scheduled launch of STS-133, currently planned for November 1, 2010. KARS Park I will open its gates for all NASA and CCAFS Civil Service and Contractor employees, their families and guests, for these events. The park and the events will be open to all Agency personnel during this time.

The park will be closed for all regular activities during this event and special camping rates will be in effect from October 29, 2010 – November 1, 2010.

We have many activities planned during this weekend including our semi-annual KARS flea market on October 30th, the 1st Annual Fall Festival the evening of October 31st, and a launch party the afternoon of November 1st.
For this event, camping reservations are required and will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I thought the extension was a done deal and there would be another launch?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Please send info to me asap! thanks!
briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Please send me the info Please

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Shuttle Take off

For us ASrs that cannot make it please someone take pics as place on the forum. We live on the West Coast but in the 1980s we lived in Ft Lauderdale and went up with our kids and a friend and slept in the maxivan (no AS then) and saw Columbia take off. It was a great week end. Please take pics and share with us who cannot be there. jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Need Email Addresses!

Okay --- I forgot, I cannot include attachments when replying to PMs on this forum. If you want additional info, provide me your personal email address and I will forward the info on to you. I have a nice attachment that includes general information about the park and the area that I assembled for my STS-130 Rally. I added specifics about this KARS Event in the document and will forward to you who are interested.

Sorry for the inconvenience but again, I need you to PM me your email address to forward you the info.

Also, you may want to read through the thread about the STS-130 Rally - there are some pics of the park, a video of a shuttle launch from the park, and some rally pics too.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...lly-51783.html

Cheers,
Laura
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I thought the extension was a done deal and there would be another launch?

No done deal - ever, as we've witnessed with Constellation. But the (extension) Act was approved by House & Senate and was sent to Obama last Thursday for his signature. I know the house wasn't totally impressed with the plan but thought it was better than none at all! General consensus in my area at KSC is that it does provide some good direction for future space flight - abeit a bit too detailed. And it will also give Atlantis one last flight. Yippie for us on the shuttle project.

Laura