Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: NorCal Rally, Pismo Coast Village, October 7-9
Pismo Beach 11 61.11%
San Luis Obispo 3 16.67%
Morro Bay 4 22.22%
Paso Robles 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
NorCal Rally, Pismo Coast Village, October 7-9

Well, let's get start planning the next one for October. With apologies to our northern most ralliers, I think we agreed to have the next rally in central Cal so Uwe and other SoCal members will come. There are many good spots but I've narrowed it to four good choices. All choices offer the many day activities of the Central Coast, such as dune buggy rides, ATV rentals, Hearst Castle tours, wine tasting, beachcombing, golf, kite flying, bird watching, kayak rentals, mountain biking, and many, many more. I am excited already!

1) Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is an extremely popular and highly rated destination park for families on the Pismo Beach. The resort features a pool, spa, bike path along beach, fire rings, picnic tables, grassy sites and within walking distance to town. The resort is huge but reservations can be hard to get on weekends and everyone will need to make their own so something to consider. Added bonus: Free WiFi.

2) El Chorro Regional Park is located 4.5 miles north of San Luis Obispo on an old dairy farm. El Chorro contains Dairy Creek Golf Course and features a day use area with barbeque facilities, volleyball courts, an off leash dog park (with two separate areas - one for smaller pets and one for larger pets), horseshoe pits, a botanical garden, softball fields and various hiking trails for all to enjoy. Reservations can only be made by a group so this could work well.

3) Morro Dunes Travel Trailer and Resort Campground is located on the dunes of Morro Bay with a view of Morro Rock. Horseback riding on the dunes is very popular here. There is a group BBQ area.

4) Wine Country RV Resort is located in the quaint town of Paso Robles. The brand new resort features pool, spa, horseshoe pits, pool table and clubhouses. The resort is surrounded by 60 winery tasting rooms. This is the beautiful region featured in the movie "Sideways". Added bonus: Free WiFi.

Okay now everyone, let's vote. And let's discuss what weekend in October.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Pool & Spa sound good...

Dan-

Super Kudo's for Russian River! Some of us may not be able to wait for October, but I'm already working on calendar clearing.. Since end of month is big rush/end of fiscal year for us plus Halloween, I'd certainly vote for early to mid October, when weather near ocean also likely to be dryer and warmer.. Put me down for 7-9 October... (Columbus Day weekend - School Holiday??) And, we'd attend at any of 4 sites offered, but having an ocean nearby is always nice...

Will try to get our pics from Russian River uploaded later tonight... Made it home with new battery OK, though drivers in Berkeley/Oakland area still have much to learn about patience and courtesy.. Again took almost 3 hours.. Trailer washed, cleaned up, parked in hideaway and ready for next run..

>> Tip for the day.. When parking, be sure to check furnace "off" switch.. Dianne was surprised this AM when returning towels and furnace tried to maintain 50 degrees.. Just lowering thermostat not enough, if gas and main power still turned on...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Any place is fine with me

Voted for Morro Bay because of how close it is to the beach, but I'm going to be excited to go anywhere.

Thanks Dan for taking the lead and organizing these great rallies for us.

Casini was a blast! October just seems so far away. I think groups of us should get together and just plan to meet at some favorite sites during the in between month.

Cam
Hit'the'road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Pismo sounds like fun. I have actually stayed at Pismo Coast Village before, it's right at the beach, much like Morro Strand. Stayed there, too.
Wine Country RV is also very nice, but brand new and a bit like a parking lot, with all the shrubs and trees being new plantings. Their WiFi is great, though.
I'd vote for Pismo, though. Might be fogged in in the mornings, but the little town is great for dining, shopping, walking, biking, beachcombing, etc.etc.
I can NOT do Oct. 14/15/16, or Halloween weekend.
Did you know that the weekend of September 25 has the California Region 12 Rally in Paso Robles?
I will promote the event to others in my area, once a date is set.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wish we could go, but we have a stork coming to our house around Oct 21

We'll have to catch the Spring rally, but I might need a bigger trailer by then
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Oct Rally

Thanks Dee for starting this early,
We could attend either of the first 2 weekends in Oct. We have other plans the end of the month.
I voted for El Chorro for the more rural, less crowded setting.
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Those choices sound great!

I like the one with the dog parks as it will be nice to get him out of the Caravel once and a while. Vollyball also sounds fun. Will we need to commit ahead of time or will it be possable to attend last minute? I will be on a 3-4 month trip around the coasts of the U.S. andwill be unsure of my timing untill about a week beforehand. Anyway sounds like a great rally, good luck!
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Depending on our daughters traveling soccer schedule, we'll have to wait to commit, however our choice would be to camp on Pismo Beach .

Incidently, it was great to meet all of you at the Casini rally. We're looking forward to the next adventure

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I like the first weekend in October. However, anyone is fine since that is definitely enough notice for us. It just depends upon what is available. It may be hard to get all the sites together at PCV.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Pismo Reservations Can Be Difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
I like the first weekend in October. However, anyone is fine since that is definitely enough notice for us. It just depends upon what is available. It may be hard to get all the sites together at PCV.
Getting reservations at all, much less together is a worry for PCV. I have tried to get reservations before months ahead only to be completely denied. That is why I voted for El Chorro. We will be guranteed to get as many spaces as we need, all next to each other at El Chorro. I don't think it's as much fun if the trailers aren't lined up together but spread out through the campground. I really liked the way we were ALL together at Casini. So consider this when voting.

Also wondering who is voting but not replying with a message? Seems some non-ralliers are voting but have no intention of attending this Fall. I don't know why people would vote if they are not attending? Anyway, I think I will only count votes from past ralliers or potential ralliers that post a message saying they want to attend.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
October 7th-9th

Seems the early weekends of October are the ones of choice. John suggested the first weekend, October 7th-9th. I think that weekend works for all that chimed in so far. Is there anybody that can't make that weekend? If nobody objects, let's settle on October 7-9. Hopefully, with an earlier date in October, there will be less chance of rain then the last two rallies.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

We voted for Pismo. Big Dee, did you or can you try Pismo for reservations just to see if they even may be avalible to make in a couple months when it's decided when and where the rally will be?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Tinsel,

I am heading down to PCV on Saturday for SIX NIGHTS!!! So I will see about group reservations in person and will report back. Actually, I plan to check out all the locations. There is free WiFi at PCV so I will be online next week. I'll keep everyone updated.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
We voted for Pismo, family liked the idea of a pool there. The first weekend in October, for now looks best for us as well. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #15
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
I voted Pismp as well- mainly because we can stage the First Annual NorCal vs. SoCal Airstream Beach Drag Races. SoCal Rules! Get your rockguards installed!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I voted Pismp as well- mainly because we can stage the First Annual NorCal vs. SoCal Airstream Beach Drag Races. SoCal Rules! Get your rockguards installed!
Yeah, with mountain bikes hitched to the trailers, almost like in the vintage ads........
Old 04-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Posting from Pismo Coast Village!

It seems like PCV will win the poll handily at this point. Well, I am here now and it is a fun place, no doubt about it. It is hopping and busy. My only complaint would be the narrow sites but it really won't matter for the rally as it is fun to be close to each other. I just hope they can get us together. I will talk to the office tomorrow about the chances that we can be all together. I checked out El Chorro, also. It is a real campground on rolling hills with Oak trees. It reminded me very much of Laguna Seca.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thumbs up Report From PCV!

Okay, here's the deal. Talked to the office here at Pismo Coast Village (PCV) and have set aside the only 15 sites avialable together for October 7-9. The nice girl would not tell me what sites they were at first but I later got it that they were all in a row towards the back against the chain-link fence that borders the state park next door. Which means there is no grass. Ideally I would have liked to go back to back up a row with the grass strip in between and steps to beach access. If we wanted to wait till spring, we could get such an arrangement. Need to really make group reservations 12 months ahead to get the good sites at PCV.

So should we go ahead with the fifteen sites at PCV as is or change it to April 2006 and choose another campground for October 7-9? Everybody please chime in. I'll post some pics of the sites tomorrow.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Question Just wondering,

what is the Southern border of NorCal?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:03 AM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Pcv

Those sites are a bit depressing, but the campground is still a nice place to stay.
I am fine with either one of the others, or the available sites at PCV.

guy99:

I believe that most people would assume that the southernmost acre of NorCal would be somewhere along the Monterey County Line.
Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles are considered the heart of the Central Coast.
Southern California starts somewhere between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, as far as I can tell. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.