Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #41
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Barbie and I and Brian and Alison will be there, along with our two art cars, RoboShaw and Hey Wagon. Current plans are to arrive early (prob. Saturday; Rangering does have a couple of upsides) and leave on Tuesday after the event to avoid exodus & Labor Day traffic.

With respect to layout, I would guess that a less regular layout will reduce wind issues significantly; many of us benefited from the wall of RVs at the rear of the camp. The more inter-mixed the orientation of the rigs, the less problem we'll all have w/ wind, but that can be difficult to arrange w/o a crane . The prevailing winds are roughly south-southwest, last year 4:30 was roughly the N/S axis as is typical.
Storm winds can come from anywhere, but the strongest reverse
the prevailing wind direction.

The awning to awning set-up is indeed quite nice, as is having some street-side shade... we'll also need some group space for our talks, ethanol consumption events, etc.

We'll set up a shared evap unit again; this year our shower will be done (future imperative tense) but we won't have a gray water tank.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Hooray for us being green on the moop map! And many thanks to those who stayed late to turn out the lights and catch the last of the moop. You know who you are.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #43
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Airstreameri, I'll miss you this year! I'm enjoying reading the posts, so I can live vicariously. Randy, you behave...

Aw Rhonda, do we really have to behave?

You better come and join us so you can make sure we misbehave properly.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #44
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Good question Miss V, which we'll be revisiting frequently this year. Burningman is not your typical WBCCI rally (not yet ). Nor is it soley an airstream rally. Typically a "burner" will arrive on playa with their tent and ticket, stop somewhere in the outback and camp where it looks good in the free for all, and not too close or too far from one of the porta potty rows. Soon they'll find that the streets close in to the main funs seem to be off limits, reserved for "theme camps" that put on all sorts of neat events, shows, exhibits and sudden shreiks of 50 foot flame in the air.
A "theme camp" is a group of people that have submitted an application to the placement committee of overworked volunteers representing the powers of BM LLC, filling out all sorts of lines of informations describing what kind of flame effects they'll have, how much fuel they will be storing, what kind of interactive events they will present, a map of the proposed positions of every unit in their camp, 8X10 glossies of Alice (remember Alice, this isn't a song about Alice or her restaurant), warnings about serving food without the proper prior permit from the Nevada Department of bla bla bla, what type of interactivities they will present for the community, safety plan, and a environmental impact statement stating that each unit will have their own MOOP pail positioned strategically to deposit any material out of place blowing by in the white outs.
If the Placement Committee feels the form has been filled out with sufficient obfuscation and thusely waves favorably on the proposed "theme camp", said "theme camp" will receive notice of thereunder placement and will be therefore placed as the aforementioned Placement Committee deems appropriate for the "theme camp"
And so it will come to pass, said "theme camp" receives information before the event where said camp will be afforded to camp, not here nor there but within said blue flags as the placement committee sets out for said camp.

Or you takes your chances parking somewhere in the outback in the freeforall, not too close nor too far from a row of porta pottys.

Chief Grump,
NevadaGeo
Wow. Nice analysis Mr. Geo.
I'm glad you're the one filling out all the aforementioned paperwork.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #45
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Okay Burners, Burnees, and Birgins:

The 2011 Burning Man Extravaganza is now officially listed on the Rally Calendar
so we can all sign up and get a sense of how many intrepid folks will be attending.

Jump on and sign up.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Lamont is in for 2011 See you on the Playa
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Thanks for starting the rally sign up Bam! For those like I being computer challenged, here's a link to the rally Airstream Forums - Burning Man 2011

Welcome home everyone. And now an announcement from the Chief Grump to first timer virgins and playa experienced burners: Sorry to be the Chief Grump here, I'll keep it to as less than minimum as I can. I have been unoffically told by one of the placement committee that "It's been noticed by the placement committee that the Airstreamer camp doesn't do very much interactivity with the community, and there's no guarantee they will be placed in 2011." So lets step it up, activity-ate!
Grump over, my problem, no one else allowed to grump either. I really really really really appreciate everyone that contributed to the camp last year in every way, especially those that stupid me has forgotten to thank.

Now back to our unstoppable fun

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #48

Laguna Beach , California
We purchased a 1981 31' Excella with a rear bath - thinking a few days of "vacuuming, cleaning, wiping and airing out" would deal with the special scents. Alas, we were not so lucky. As it stands, the trailer is down to her ribs presently, with about 50 lbs of ratcrud and carcasses removed, hence temporarily coining it "the Rat Toaster" by the other household person The pink insulation inside and under the floor is gone, as is the interior, cabinetry, bathroom and all...as is the smell, amazingly.

I think Burning Man 2011 would be a great place to attend and a fairly non ambitious goal. Now if we could duplicate or triplicate Uwe, we could have more help in finishing our interior cabinetry, but the rest of you are so busy keeping him occupied that we'll have to wait our turn. Sharing is caring...

Count us in!
glbtrottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #49
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Tickets are ordered !

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #50
Charlyf

2008 20' Safari SE
Carmel Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Charlyf
Maps and map making and mapping aspects of the Playa sounds cool. I just spent 80 hours updating my map skills. My new laptop should run ArcGis. Where can we go with this?
Charlyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Burning Man Rally Calendar, Sign up

The sign up list for this rally/event can be found in the Rally Calendar or by clicking here:

Airstream Forums - Burning Man 2011

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I'll need to write it up.... a cannon is possible, but the ignition source/pilot will take some experimentation.

- Bart
Will it be sparkely and shaped like a pony? Maybe you can make the fire blow out of the pony's behind. What do ya think?
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlyf View Post
Maps and map making and mapping aspects of the Playa sounds cool. I just spent 80 hours updating my map skills. My new laptop should run ArcGis. Where can we go with this?
Hey Welcome home Charly! I believe Burnstream Court, or even an earlier 'stream group has done this before; Dr. Quark and ArtStream Gypsy were some of those on it. Might be an interesting activity, GIS folk's location for them that don't have a GPS. The BM map has a lot of events and things located but I bet there's a lot they could use help on. GPS will work but I haven't found much internet access on the playa to be able to pass info around much. That could be upgraded this year too. Oh golly, different GIS layers for different themes and activities and locations of different kinds of Absinthe.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaojamjab View Post
Will it be sparkely and shaped like a pony? Maybe you can make the fire blow out of the pony's behind. What do ya think?

Now that's the spirit! Sounds like you have the beginnings of an art car there.

Got your tix yet?

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
We got our tix!

JitneyBead
JitneyBead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitneybead View Post
we got our tix!

Jitneybead
woo hoo!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #57
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Got my ticket.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Gonna have to skip this year, but not really wanting to. We had great time, and intend to make '12. Got that first one under our belt, and dreaming up an art car.......

As we say in the south...Ya'll have fun!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
No ticket yet

Hi Rich,
How are things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Now that's the spirit! Sounds like you have the beginnings of an art car there.

Got your tix yet?

Rich the Viking
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaojamjab View Post
Hi Rich,
How are things?
Hi Julie,
All is good in Boulder Creek. I just finished that huge chore I was working on for the last two years. I still have a few little lose ends to wrap up but its great to have the worst behind me. I'm ready for the next burn, for sure!
How about you? Have you gotten your tutu yet?

Rich the Viking

Tags
rally, burning man, group