Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #621
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, folks.

Gary has a pdf. document I put together from various resources, on DO basics, for newbies to the art and anyone who wants to read it. He's going to post it, as I haven't the ability.

Why did I do this? Because I are rather compulsively organized.

Give me a task, and I organize myself and information. What can I say. It's hard-wired at this point.

So, take what is helpful and ignore anything else.

I am going to post the bread recipe/variations a week or so before the rally, for those who want it. That will later be posted in pdf. form, as well.

Stay warm,

Maggie
Old 02-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #622
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

I have Maggie's PDF and will send tomorrow soon as I get to a PC not this eye phone thingy.

Bought another DO cook/history book yesterday and sitting at my campfire right now just finished it.

Linda and I put together a list of what we remember making in DO's over the years:

Beef stew
Chili, lots of it
Beef roast, taters, carrots, gravy a real one pot meal
Pork loin, taters etc
Frogmore stew, quiet Henry, I'M typing this!
Fried chicken
Red wine chicken thighs, better than it looked
Buffalo wings
Ham and bean soup
Short ribs
Biscuits
Cinnamon rolls
Pies
Cobblers
Funnel cakes
Popcorn

That beef roast is a champ and simpler than I can describe.

Pretty sure we'll have more to follow and help from DO Wrangler mbmbstreamer too so stay tuned and I'm gonna add a suggested tool kit, SUGGESTED NOT MANDATORY but after you dump your lid of coals into the Maggie bread, you'll get a lid lifter, ask me how I know that one!

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #623
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
[QUOTE=bradnsheree;1413144]I just went to see if any spots were still available and online reservations is showing every spot taken. Will put this on calendar for next year. If anyone needs to cancel please let us know. Thanks![/QUOTE

Keep checking the park website, several times a day if you can. Some cancellations do occur. Sometimes last minute.

If it doesn't work out this time, we will be gathering again in the fall, keep an eye out for the thread.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #624
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Pagey,

I just called the SP office, 1 tent added to site, no problem. Might need to get a vehicle pass at the office.

Gary
Every site is allowed 1 rv and 1 tent, so no problem putting up a tent on any site, just need the ok from whomever is parked there. There is lots of room around most all sites.

John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #625
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2021 28' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey View Post
We are still planning to drive up Friday. We have found out we won't have our truck by then, so we plan to drive up in my Subaru and would like to pitch a tent with someone, if that is allowed. Also, we are vegan, so will be bringing our vegan hot dogs. (They are made by Field Roast Grains and a I dare a carnivore to be able to tell the difference. :-)) We'll also probably bring vegetable dishes to share.
You're welcome to pitch a tent on site 3 as well, but you have to promise to share some vegan recipes. I try to eat vegan when I can to control my blood pressure and cholesterol without meds. Ed
WBCCI #17771
Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
DeltaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #626
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Maggie's DO Handout

Folks,

Maggie's DO handout. Got some real good info here. Thanks Maggie.

Regards,

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DO HANDOUT.pdf (57.0 KB, 66 views)
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #627
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Pagey,

I just called the SP office, 1 tent added to site, no problem. Might need to get a vehicle pass at the office.

Gary
Thank you, Gary and Linda!

Beetlebob and I are looking forward to this.

We picked the brains of Mr. Maxwell, the Airstream engineer who attended the Tampa RV Supershow last month. We will probably end up buying a new Classic 31 and squeaking in a couple of changes while it is being built. Hope to have it next year. Our truck build date is March 11 and we hope of have it sometime in April. One step (and payment) at a time

Page and Bob
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #628
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaQueen View Post
You're welcome to pitch a tent on site 3 as well, but you have to promise to share some vegan recipes. I try to eat vegan when I can to control my blood pressure and cholesterol without meds. Ed
Ed:

I am a Delta Queen steamboat fan. Took several trips on her before Congress decided to mothball her.

Gary has graciously arranged for us to pitch a tent on his site, but I will be happy to share recipes with you. I will have my Kindle with me and have all of my cookbooks loaded onto it. We have both noticed great improvements in our health since cutting out meat and dairy. Weight and blood pressure have dropped and reflux is completely gone! Yay, from a person who used to eat Prevacid.

Page
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #629
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Delta Queen

The Delta Queen looks like a great trip to the past. I hope she gets to return to the water as soon as possible. I love living history like this. I'm a huge steam locomotive fan also. john
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #630
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Open site

It's 11:45am CT and I checked and saw site 35 is currently open if anyone is looking.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #631
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
It's 11:45am CT and I checked and saw site 35 is currently open if anyone is looking.
GreggH
Site 35 still available as of 2:00 pm EST. We're going to stick with mooch-tenting so that someone with a trailer can take it.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
When I got the message. there was a site, I quickly held it for a friend, let it go as they were about to book. Well, before they could lock it in it disappeared. Then later it was back so I booked it for our friends.
Strange.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #633
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1971 18' Caravel
Charlotte , North Carolina
Good morning Sandlapper(aka King Possum),

I stuck my head out of the hole in my nesting tree this morning and the world around me was white with ice. WHOOO let winter into our woods? Maybe our northern brothers are moving south and bring the weather with them.

I haven't been able to hunt possums for days with all the cold, snow, sleet and freezing rain. It has been hard trying to gather possum's for Gary's possum bog. I may have to fall back to road kill, but I will make sure is fresh.

John, do you know how to make sure it is fresh road kill? First you fly down the country road and when you see a road kill you stop and with a piece of chalk draw a circle around the roadkill. When you have flown five miles down the country road turn around and fly back up the road and stop and pick up every roadkill that does not have a chalk circle drawn around the animal. Then you know you have fresh roadkill.

John of course with this cold freezing temps we can pick up all road kill as a "Plan B" since it is all ready frozen and has not had time to spoil, take it home and put it in the ice cave(spring house).

Maybe Gary will have two pots of Possum bog. One pot for fresh RK and one pot for semi-fresh RK. John does that sound like a food resource food plan since we have a big crowd coming in just six weeks to Lake Wateree State Park?

Back to my warm nest..... more news later.

GIVE A HOOT.

Big Hooter

(aka John, #21189)
Big Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #634
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Y'all are really getting hit hard!

It's all coming now so that weather will be good for the rally next month.

Stay warm, folks.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #635
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
hit hard

Yeah, the snow is falling here, 6 inches so far since 1am last night. I am starting to think I will need to dig the Airstream out in March. will it ever end? Sidebar 35 days till spring. John
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #636
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hunkered In, Waiting it out

Yup, We got the white stuff/ice/sleet/slush stuff all over the place. Our Son, Jacob got called out for SC National Guard duty haven't heard much back yet but he is sitting in the Hummer in the opening shot of this CBS news clip.

Dangerous snow-covered roads prove deadly in South Carolina - Videos - CBS News

Feeding lots of birds today too. Almost got a Coon on the road the other day but he looked up in time to avoid being a side dish.

Gary
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #637
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Air2 to the rescue

Our son Phillip is headed towards the low country of SC with a crew of local linemen , called in to help restore power. Tough job in tough circumstances. They may be gone up to a week. Please say a little prayer for them all to return safely.

Keep the fires burning. We've got about 6-8 inches here, still coming down like crazy.

John

Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #638
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Safe travels to your boy, John, and all others who must be out in this.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #639
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie discovered her car does well in the snow. With several inches of snow covered by ice covered by snow covered by sleet and freezing rain, not so much. At least I was able to shovel the end of the driveway enough to get it out of the road.
Anybody that can't get an answer at the shop, we are closed at least today. Tomorrow is still up in the air.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #640
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
what a day

so around 11:30 a tractor trailer arrived at my store with 5 pallets of product. After unloading the skids, the driver pulled into our back lot to turn around, and got stuck. 18 wheelers are pretty helpless on snow covered packed snow. We spent hours digging, prying and such to get him out. he was almost out and was just spinning. The trailer was empty, I was tired, so I offered to help. I then chained up my 09 Dodge Ram to the trailer, and with the extra traction, he was back on level, drivable pavement. Note to self, next time stay home in crazy weather, lol. john