Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #161
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I understand

I can identify with your reasons not to participate and it is unfortunate that you are geographically challenged at being a member of a more exciting group.

But on the bright side, I have literally had two members of this forum in the last two days PM me in reference to joining the SCCU. Both of them live in a different state and they both have conveyed that they will be part timing on rallies.

THAT IS PERFECTLY COOL WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ONE COME ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:22 PM   #162
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Ken,

Thank you for listening. I am very encouraged by your remarks. People like you are the future of the WBCCI.

- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
I haven't seen a rally schedule for next year. where are these rallies you're hosting?
The rally schedule won't be finalized until next month. The rally hosts need to publish their schedule's to the unit president by Nov 1 for publication in WBCCI publications in Dec/Jan.

Pam and I are hosting the first Spring NEU rally at Recompence Shore, the Fall business meeting at Danforth Bay, and I'm co-hosting a rally with the Vintage club and WDCU in September near Springfield MA during the Big "E" fair.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM   #164
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Numbers on AS

As for the Plexiglass board, I am using suction cups to hold my plexiglass number board onto the Aluminum skin. It works Great.
No screws, adhesives, or anything that may leave an unwanted mark.

I think that I posted the process and pictures somewhere on this site.

here is the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...iglass+numbers

It is easy and cheap to do.

I know that I am not on my last AS so it is convenient to move from unit to unit.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
63 wind,

In reply to your original question;

The recent SE region rally in Chattanooga had 10-15% of the trailers without numbers attached. Alabama is in this region so I would assume you can do what you want without any type of coersion.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:39 PM   #166

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Point very well taken and concurred

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
It is imperative that you and others convey these opinions not only in these open forums but directly to the WBCCI. They have a email addresses, Toll free phone numbers, slow mail addresses and people who are happy to receive your contacts and opinions.
I agree. I see room for improvement in our local unit, but I also see that what is already there is worth participating in. I am writing a letter to our new unit president with my suggestions and ideas for what may make things more appealing to us, as well as more accessable.

For example, I had planned on going to the Pendleton Round-up (Rodeo) Rally in '04, but now I see they have planned a vintage rally for the weekend before. Being a working stiff, there's no way I can attend both, so I guess I'll just do the Vintage rally.

Likewise, after the Pendleton Round-up, which is a whole week, they are planning a trip to Yellowstone, but only for the members who attended the round-up. Now frankly, I would find a trip to Yellowstone far more interesting than going to a Rodeo. I don't understand why they are linking them together like that. I also wish they hadn't crammed all these events together in September. It's great for people who are retired, they can go to one thing after another, but those of us who still work are far more limited. Something closer to home would be nice too - like how about touring Crater Lake instead of Yellowstone? But I guess they figure everyone has already seen Crater Lake. For the retirees, this is their chance to get out and explore. They've been sticking close to home all those years they were working!

So there's room for improvement, but there's some stuff we can participate in also. Hopefully by sticking with the group they will aim to find things for us young'uns to do as well.

One funny thing in our Unit newsletter - it says they are planning a Mystery Caravan for the children in the unit. So they want to know who has children or grandchildren who would like to participate during spring break. It says 'if no children can be located it will still happen but not on spring break'. For some reason this just cracked us up! How many other clubs have to worry about if they can locate children among their members?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM   #167
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
The word is out

Well as promised, I have managed to get the word up to the WBCCI about this thread and all of the input that has gone into it.

I cannot guarantee that there will be overnight results but at least we have managed to get the ear of some prominent individuals within the WBCCI.

Included in the list of contacts are two officers of Region 3, two officers of the International WBCCI, and two staff members at WBCCI HQ including the membership chairman.

I hope that they will visit this thread and get a feel for those folks that are wondering what the WBCCI is like or comments and opinions of folks that have tried the WBCCI and have valid concerns of the activities of the WBCCI and most of all, suggestions that could make the WBCCI an attractive club to all walks of the Airstream community.

Keep you comments, opinions and suggestions coming and if you prefer, send them directly to the WBCCI for a guaranteed timeslot on the soapbox

Smily
Old 11-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

I definitely think that one way to increase the retention of "1 year members" is by overhauling The Blue Beret.

I used to be a member of the Porsche Club of America (alas, real Porsches don't tow Airstreams very well). Many members joined the club - and renewed their memberships - simply to receive the club's excellent publication. Over time, these members began to slowly become more active in the club but it was the publication that kept them in the club long enough to realize the true benefits of membership.

I would suggest that The Blue Beret focus on articles about new Airstream products, interviews with Airstream managers and personalities like Christopher C. Deam, stories about vintage products, etc. Additionally, a move from newspaper material to a more standard glossy format would be appropriate.

One only has to look to the VAC and their outstanding publication - The Vinatge Advantage - to see what a world class airstream mag. can be. I own a 2002 AS but maintain my associate membership in the VAC solely for The Advantage. Bottom Line - it can be done at a reasonable cost.
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #169
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Good post, LuvSub ...

I had the same experience when I bought my first BMW motorcycle. I had no intention of joining the BMWMOA until a riding buddy of mine loaned me a few copies of their excellent monthly magazine "On The Level."

I joined just to get the magazine. Then I went to a rally and discovered how much fun the club could be.

The "Blue Beret" is in serious need of a major overhaul.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #170

1968 17' Caravel
I think that's the difference between a marque club and a caravan club. Someone pointed out to me that the BB is as exciting as a train schedule because that's pretty much what it is!A gentleman at the last rally was explaining to us that it was a caravan club, and that to really enjoy it we should go on a caravan. Obviously this guy had been retired long enough to have forgotten that those of us who still work can't take off a month or more to join a caravan!

I can't wait to get a VAC magazine and see what everyone's talking about. It sounds like it's just the kind of thing we're looking for. The Blue Beret goes in the recycling bin shortly after it arrives.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:42 PM   #171
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
A gentleman at the last rally was explaining to us that it was a caravan club, and that to really enjoy it we should go on a caravan.
Maybe that's the problem. The club's own inner vision.

I think we would all be better served it the WBCCI saw itself as a marque club.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:33 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
I think that's the difference between a marque club and a caravan club.

Stephanie:

Good insight.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:00 AM   #173
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Good news

I have been in correspondance with folks at WBCCI Blue Beret.
It is clear to me that these folks have an keen interest in revitalizing their membership numbers on several different fronts.

The WBCCI and Airstream have spent a great effort recently to poll demographics and determine that a new generation is moving into the Airstream following.

Both Airstream and the WBCCI are tailoring their markets to an all inclusive age group. The new "Base Camp" is targeted at a market interested in Airstreams but not necessarily full blown Trailer or Motorhomes. The Blue Beret is writing its articles to include the younger crowd and promoting recruitment through "open arm" invitations.

I can honestly say that it has been a life enhancing ride for myself for the last year and a half and I found myself looking into the "Lifetime" membership rates because I am certain that this is something my family will be doing for our lifetime.

The good part is that if you do not wish to allocate a lot of time or dedicate yourself to all of the WBCCI events, that is just fine. The WBCCI will be there and a Rally is sure to be on schedule, when you wish to participate, at a location not to far from you and your family of Airstreamers.

WBCCI, try it and you are certain to like it.
Smily
Old 12-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #174
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My thing is simply this sort of info is always being posted, yet little ever really gets done. I don't really expect much, so to me it's not a real big issue either way. Owning a unit does it for me by itself. Meeting other folks on the road a plus. If the local clubs got better suited for the younger generation that is suppose to be carrying it on, even more of a plus. It would be nice to see some national trends I see change so that there are more units like the South Carolina unit. I mean I have not seen anyone near the level of excitement that Ken has about his local unit. I know there are others out there, but not in the numbers I would expect from such an established club.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:00 AM   #175
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I have owned my '04 CCD international for 4 months now, and still have not been able to decide wether to join.

I want to be thought of as a part of things, but I just havn't seen any info in the literature that grabbed me.

I am 35, still work, and I take short trips when I can.

I am sure that the club is very rewarding for many of it's members, and one day it may also be for me. I hope.

I love my trailer, and knowing that I am part of owning one is not so bad in it's own right.

Respectfully,

Andy
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #176
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Why I joined

Actually I am not sure why I joined other than to get up to speed on Airstream as fast as possible and find out what was going on. Also, in order to join VAC you have to go through WBCCI which is kind of strange. The VAC quarterly newsletter is worth joining VAC alone.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:00 PM   #177
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Computer literacy

I will admit that the WBCCI is predominantly seniors and that is a huge factor as to why you do not see an active presence here on this forum from WBCCI members. The senior community was not raised or exposed to the computer generation and they are like any other PC novice, they are intimidated by the PC. As time goes by, the next generation will be the majority of the WBCCI and they will all be PC literate. Then you will see a huge active presence on the forums and any other Web oriented activity.

Until then, folks like myself will be the voice of the WBCCI here on the forum and getting the word out. WBCCI is almost just like Airstream, they do very little marketing and that in itself effects numbers. As I said above, both entities are evolving and their approach to marketing is being tailored to the next generation.

Most importantly, and listen up all of you Vintage owners, It was Airstream and WBCCI that started this whole thing over fifty years ago and they both are still recognized as the first and the best. If not for both entities, this forum would certainly not be as popular as it is today, much less, even conceived.

Smily

Old 12-27-2003, 12:31 PM   #178

1968 17' Caravel
I talked to our new president this year about arranging more activities of interest to younger people - you know hiking, fishing, active outdoor activites. He was skeptical that any young people owned airstreams or would participate, but they immediately named me the youth and family coordinator for our little unit.

Our first activity we're trying to organize is the August rally at Newberry Crater in Central Oregon. You can see my post about it on the rally section of the forum. This is going to be a fun rally, with lots of opportunities for outdoor activities. I hope we get lots of younger 'streamers and families to show up.

Additionally I'm working on setting up a website for our unit, and will try to do some research ahead of each rally to find some outdoorsy things to do at the other planned rallys, so if folks show up who want to know where the local fishing hole is, or some great hiking trails, we can offer that kind of info.

There are some other issues I'm working on them with as well. For example, the president complained that young people (that's people under 60 to them) never come to the monthly luncheons. That's probably because they hold them during the week, during working hours. It seems very simple to me that if you plan something during work hours, obviously working folks can't come to it! Stuff like that is annoying, because it would be so simple to change, but it gives the impression to young people who might be interested that the club is just not interested in changing for them. In fact when I told them this, I was told that the young members just needed to 'work harder'. Comments like that really aren't going to get us anywhere.

I have to admit, my motivations are selfish. It would be great if eventually we could go to a rally and see other people our own age to hike around with, and maybe have a campfire at night. I would like to make friends with some other airstreamers who will be around in 30 years. Most of all, I would like to see more people our age join the WBCCI, because I want the club still be around when I'm as old as the current members!

Old 12-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #179
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Rivet Attest

You know,
There has been a time or two that I may have felt that maybe I am a little over the edge on this Airtreaming and the WBCCI thing.
But when I meet new friends within the WBCCI and I read postings like the one above or many others that have been written on this frorum, it brings a strange but warm feeling that there are people just like myself, with the same interests as I, as passionately as I.
I have met folks that think about Airstreaming just as much if not more than I, (if that is possible).

I have recently been appointed the Recording Secretary for our local unit. With that honor comes the responsibility of carekeeper for the historical records of the Unit. I have beeen reading the old records and it has given me such a humbling. I say this because, I am a proud person who likes to leave an impact, (hopefully good), but when I read the old records and see the fortitude and dedication of the group of people that started so small in numbers, I see that I am merely one building block of many in a huge structure.

I wish to say thank you to so many that filled that small void in the wall without being asked and accepting mere fellowship as their compensation.

The WBCCI has a way of drawing those type of people that enjoy sharing their time with fellow Airstreamers and folks from any where in a very simple leisure activity, camping.

Smily
Old 12-27-2003, 02:04 PM   #180
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Participation

I have attended every unit rally since owning an Airstream plus the Region 9 rally in Harlingen. I plan to attend all unit rallies in 2004 and co-host one rally.

I attend all of the monthly ubit luncheons and arrive 30 minutes early so that I can converse with folks that aren't close to me at the meal.

I "volunteered" the banjo club to provide entertainment for our vintage rally.

I play banjo with our ad-hoc quartet at rallies.

My wife and I co-hosted a unit rally in 2003.

I have been elected Trustee of my unit.

I volunteered to create a web site for the unit and donate the web space.

I have accepted the task as webmaster of the region web pages next year.

I taught at the Region 9 Computer Rally in 2003 and will do so again in 2004.

... and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Like Smily, I try to have a positive impact on any organization I join.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote