Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2002, 07:41 AM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Coolie

But ... where are the rivets?

Besides that, the can must first be balanced, then the can and the coolie must be balanced together. Otherwise, you may have rear-end damage, loose tooth fillings, glasses pulling away from your nose, and things like that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 07:47 AM   #22
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
factory balanced drum

Hate to get off subject on this thread but,

you have obviously overlooked the metal tab affixed to the upper left side of this drum..... and it looks as though it was placed there at the factory,

I would say that this drum is balanced at the factory.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I agree that there should not be children subjected to Drunken stupor, but there are parents with these children and it is somewhat a responsibility to monitor the situation just as well that the drinking adult should be aware that there are children around.
I'm in my late thirties, and I don't care to be subjected to being around someone in a drunken stupor. But it's a long way from a drink or two to a drunken stupor.

Ultimately, WBCCI is a traveling group. Nobody wants to see true drunkenness in a group of drivers. I have been in units with regular drinkers, and never heard a disparaging remark from other members.

As far as the religious theme, I haven't seen that before. I know that grace is said before meals and a church service is often offered on Sunday morning of a rally. But I have never been pressured to attend a service, nor have I heard disparaging remarks about anyone else that chose not to attend. It's more like the services are available for those chosing to participate, without pressure on anyone else.

You said the entertainment had a religious bent. It sounds to me like you ended up in either an ultraconservative group, or with an ultraconservative rally host.

Try another unit. You'll find a group you like and that likes you.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Without being longwinded like my previous post, I think Edie is right. Try another group. I don't know how many participants were at the rally you attended but if 10-20 Airstreams were there and they were rather conservative, then I would think that the theme would continue along this line. I tend to be on the conservative side, definately not liberal, but would enjoy being at a rally with a mixture of liberal, middle of the road and conservative for an interesting mix. I'd feel like a fish out of water in an ultra conservative or extremely religious group.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:13 AM   #25
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
No harm

I meant no harm at all, This thread started as an in quisition on what to expect at rallies. I have certainly received a lot of input and come to the conclusion that maybe I was to conscientous or afraid to ask.

But now I am informed and will probably be a little more relaxed.

I never said that the religous influence was wrong, only wanted to know if that was what to expect from now on.

I concur that the drunken stupor was exagerated but just trying to feel the crowd out while staying out of view.

Thanks for all of the input and God bless you all.

Cheers
Smily
Old 10-25-2002, 08:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi, Just purchased a new 2002 .....We were thinking of joining the camaradrie.....this has give us new thoughts.

Our ancestors have been here a long time; we are mixed ethnic/religion (Irish Cat/Jewish) and we do like to drink coctails.
I didn't think when we finally got to an Airstream that I was buying a bunch of krap like "upper drawer" no drinks (they hide it) Doesn't anyone feel like we do.... both my wife and I taught school, didn't molest anyone, pays our bills, etc.

So much for that Wally Byam stuff. We shall not join.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:56 PM   #27
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Hi Kistler,
We felt just like you do and guess what, we joined in spite of it.
We always left a campsite cleaner than we found it.
I always let other cars pass me when I think I am holding up traffic.
I always will try my best to help another Rv'er in despair.
I always will enjoy a drink, if i wish to do so.
I never will be told to participate in any kind of religious service that is forced upon me.
You just never know, some day you may see # 5580 and miss out of a lot of fun by a pre-conceived opinion!
PeterH-79MH and Catstream
WBCCI #5580
Members at large
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi folks
dont get carried away with one unit there are more than one . i hung it up with one unit (3yrs ago). but you wouldnt beleive the nice people that i hated to say good by to. i recently switched units and think the new unit is going to be a winner. i see a lot of the nice folks i liked in the other unit has switched also. the old unit had a lot of religeous activities that i didnt participate in. as for drinking i know some of the folks were drinking but it was very discrete . didnt see any one that was drunk .they didnt have a happy hour or open time for same. i go to football tailgate partys and most people drink and then there are the drunks. want to ruin a party invite a drunk... but we dont have drunks in the wbcci . my experinces is go to a few ralleys and if you dont feel like you are one of the group . try another group. i was up at jackson center, wbcci will tell you that it is a dying organization as the majority of members are old as dirt. next rally you go to try to find some one who is not 60 yrs old . and you know how old people are stuborn as heck and out spoken and they dont care .
dont give up yet try another unit..
good luck al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

I also had the same experience as Smily and I wasn't comfortable. I had a couple of members call my rig "bald" because I didn't have my WBCCI #'s on my trailer(they look like S@*t after a year or so) and one member shook his head because I didn't have a flag. But I realized that some of these older, longer term members are set in their way because "this is how we do it". not very flexable. I did go to a vintage rally and had a ball. The people here were more concerned with meeting new people than making sure everyone on the same page of the reg's. Hopefully as the younger blood comes in to WBCCI, things will be a little less restricted.
My 2 cents
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question hit the bottle

I've never heard anything mention before..Maybe you're with the "right" crowd but, the wrong time?

If we should ever park next to one another, know this..."I'll have a tall, cold one" ready for you.

interesting question..shows depth and, fantastic answers by all..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

side note

I heard a rumor that Boeing is coming out in 2004/2005 with a line of aluminum travel trailers. Due to the strong growth in the RV market and with all of the baby-boomers getting ready for retirement, Boeing feels that the timing in getting into the RV market couldn't be better. If this is true, it will be interesting see Boeings vision of a travel trailer.
Has anyone else heard this?
John
Old 10-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #32
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Misnomer

For many years, I always thought that Airstream was made by an airplane manufacturer.

Boy was I wrong. Even though Ol'Wally worked for an Airplane manufacturer, It was not an Airplane company that built the AS.

So I am looking forward to seing what an Aircraft company would have in mind.

I could not help but think that an Aircraft company would have aero-dynamics on the brain. I would expect that it would have to be rounded at a minimum. This would certainly be attractive to the folks who are concerned about gas prices.

I hope that Boeing does come out with something if just for some competition to Airstream. Maybe the prices would level off and be a little more affordable to the younger generation.

Smily
Old 10-26-2002, 12:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up subject?

THIS DESERVES A NEW THREAD~!~
Old 10-26-2002, 12:27 PM   #34
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
New thread

Agreed, shall you post or shall I?

Old 10-26-2002, 12:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
you

YOU MAY HAVE THE PLEASURE
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
We are attending our first WBCCI rally this coming weekend. It would be nice if we knew more about these "secret traditions" that seem to trip up so many people.

Being under 60 (but, sadly, over 50) we will be among the younger attendees. We hope to fit in and not break anyone's "rules". After all, what's so bad about drinking a little wine? It's tough to "disguise" a wine glass filled with a nice full-bodied chateauneuf du pape!

And, what's with the flags? What flag are you SUPPOSED to fly?

Anyway, we are looking forward to our first rally. We'll hope for the best!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Here's a suggestion from someone who joined WBCCI in her 20's!!

If you are attending a rally with a new unit for the first time, adopt a mentor. Find someone at the rally that was friendly when he or she approached you and was easy to talk to.

Ask that person if they know of anyone in the group who could show you the ropes, or if they might even help you themselves. Most people are more than happy to help.

Simply explaining that you don't want to inadvertently step on toes may help you gain insights into the group that would otherwise take years to discover. The worst that will happen is you will find out immediately that you need to move on to another member or unit.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
dont worry about it enjoy yourself. go along with the crowd. or monkey see monkey do.. after the rally is over with ask yourself did i like this??? if the answer is no dont go to any more of that units rallys. find a new unit .. here s hopping you have a great time . and i know you will.. some units suck with crap others are great...
al prince wbcci #137982 alabama unit
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:56 PM   #39

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by John
I had a couple of members call my rig "bald" because I didn't have my WBCCI #'s on my trailer(they look like S@*t after a year or so) and one member shook his head because I didn't have a flag.
John,
I've haven't put mine on either. My wife doesn't like them, I also sort of hate putting them up there cause the trailer looks so nice without them, I'm thinking of coming up with something that will fit in the window or hang off the jack stand with my numbers.

Been to two unit rallys so far and nobody has asked where my numbers are. The folks in our unit I think are happy to have us, numbers or not....and that's the way it should be.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

WBCCI #'s & flag

Jack,

You got a good idea there! I understand while traveling in a caravan it's nice to be able to see the #'s of the trailer in front or behind you, but for us who will only be going to rally's, it would be nice to have our #'s (smaller) on a board hung outside our trailers.

WBCCI strongly recommends flying an America flag in front of your trailer while at rally's. While I respect the right to fly our flag, one shouldn't look down on others who don't feel the need to.

Since this forum is growing, maybe we could have "forum rally's" in different areas of the country. Members and non-members of WBCCI would be welcomed. Let down your hair, check out different rigs and swap stories!

Have a good day , John