Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2003, 08:24 PM   #181
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yes, but John, unlike Ken, you are retired where you may have a bit more time to be able to do those things. I think it's important that folks know that as well.

I think it's great that you can make that kind of difference and I tip my hat to you with what you've been able to do.

BTW...I looked at the site...very impressive.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #182
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Retired at what age?

John, dont mean to get personal but I was looking at your profile and it appears that you are younger than myself. Is this correct?

And what does your employment status have to do with being a member of the WBCCI??????????

I am VERY employed and my efforts for the WBCCI are comparable to Johns. It is another example of it is what you make of it, not what some one makes for you.

Either you want to be a part or you dont, it is very simple.
As we have always said, if you dont like it , join and help change it.

There are three kinds of people:
Those who make things happen
Those who watch things happen
and those who wondered what the heck just happened.

Which are you?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #183
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
For the life of me Ken, I guess I just don't understand your motivation for always trying to over cheer the other side.

I looked at John's profile and it clearly says "retired".

The reason it is of importance here is simply to the fact that he has more time on his hands to do the functions and the extra stuff he does. The fact that you have the time and still hold a full time job is great, but not everyone has what you have Ken. I think that you make some assumptions that frankly don't fit for everyone. So because my family and my career take a front seat, I am not a person that makes things happen since I feel WBCCI is not as important???? I think it's unfair for you to categorize folks.

I sure hope that things are not being taken personally here, but I am still getting the sense that they are.

I'm not trying to sway anyone....just looking for answers.

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 07:15 AM   #184
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Thumbs up Cheer

Sis boom bang, I am proud to be in the WBCCI gang!

Do rae mi, follow me to this months rally!

Smily
Old 12-28-2003, 07:52 AM   #185
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Talking

You Airstream fans crack me up you take everything so seriously

Hart LMAO
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 AM   #186
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'll have to take your word for it Hart as I stopped paying attention after last night.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:28 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
I have been scanning over this thread and am a bit concerned. The WBCCI appears to be in large part staffed by and comprised of retirees. I don't think it is any secret that when people retire they need an outlet for their energies and often turn to hobbies to become full time or near full time vocations. Some have organizing skills, others mechanical or technical skills and they try to apply them as best they can to give more meaning to retirement.

It appears that from the grass roots Units up through the headquarters, activities are planned and conducted that fit into the majority of members capabilities. There is nothing wrong with that. However, there is a community of Airstream owners who are not retired, who deserve to have their interests and limitations (insofar as work schedules, children's interests, etc...) addressed too. After all, we all own Airstreams or Argosys so from that standpoint we all share some common intersests, Airstreaming, camping, Airstreaming... .

Planning rallies for weekends and holidays to encourage the folks who are contributing to our economy, and BTW paying my social security bless 'em, to join with us might be a starting point. I have 7 days of weekend. If it is more convenient for some to do stuff on Saturday and Sunday then lets do it then.

Let's not alienate anyone. Let's embrace everyone who wants to have fun and maybe be of service to others.
We have just joined the Florida Unit last month. The members are mostly all seniors. My wife and I are only 62... kids.

We have been made to feel very welcome. However, something happened I hadn't counted on. We went on a rally to Fort Christmas in Christmas Florida. The purpose was to volunteer to help the sponsors of the Cracker Christmas set up, prepare food, direct vendors to the parking areas and so on. We were there 5 days. We were given an area in which to park, electric and water and three free meals. We paid $12 per person and had a blast. We met the nicest people, had fun and helped an organization that needs it. There were folks from other units there to help as well.

Camping is fun. Camping with a purpose is marvellous. Camping with a purpose and doing it with friendly and interesting folks with a common interest is fantastic.

One other thing I noticed. There were many older members there for the 5 days and not once did I hear anyone complain of health problems. Not that they don't have them. I think the mind-set of the folks, regardless of age, that get out with their coaches, go someplace with a purpose and have fun too, doesn't lend itself to complaining about knees, backs, and the range of ailments that plague the senior set.

One other thing. All the rallys, local and national are done by voluteers. Folks donating their time and sometimes money for the benefit of a group of people who love their Airstream trailers and the comaraderie of friends, old and new.

I'm sold!!
BTW, I am touting the many benefits of this forum to the members of our Unit.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:52 AM   #188
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Vic,

I was at the Cracker Christmas and wondered if that was your shiny trailer. Our Unit was down at Christmas Airstream Park. Welcome to the club.

I have watched this participation and membership issue evolve from the perspective of the forum as well as from my perspective as a WBCCI unit officer. I have observed four different attitudes toward Membership. I am sure there are more.

One is the Enthusiastic member, Ken that's you. They are glad to serve the Unit and want to see the Unit and the club at large thrive. If I remember right Ken, the first unit get together almost ran you off due to the attitudes of the group you tried. You tried a different unit and look at where you are today. 180 degrees from where you started.

The second is the Member. They pay their yearly dues, some rallies, gladly help out on rally duties, but are not always there at every rally and do not want to be in an Officers chair. I think this is where the bulk of the 14K members of WBCCI are.

The third is the fence sitter. We have members of our unit that I have yet to meet in almost 2 years of attending rallies I have not seen them yet. This is a member, or prospective member, that you think if you could get them involved in your unit would move up at least to the second type of member, maybe even the first type, but they just need convincing. Some of these type are Members at Large.

The fourth is the non-member. Some of them do not want to be in the club. Some because they had a bad experience with the WBCCI in the past, or they do not want to be asked to hold a position in the unit. Sometimes it is just a matter of not knowing what the club offers. These are the folks to invite to a buddy rally. Others just want to use their trailer and not make a batch of new friends. This is fine by me. the only one who knows if they can be happy in a club setting is the person themselves.

Some owners want to be in a marquee type of club. The main WBCCI is not that, but there are intra-clubs that fill that need. The VAC is one and the Classic Airstream Club is another. You must be a member of WBCCI to also be a member of the intra-clubs.

I will admit that the WBCCI is not for everyone. It does not require a commitment of time to be a member. Typically once you do you will find yourself committing more time to it that you had planned .
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #189
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by startrekker2001

One other thing I noticed. There were many older members there for the 5 days and not once did I hear anyone complain of health problems. Not that they don't have them. I think the mind-set of the folks, regardless of age, that get out with their coaches, go someplace with a purpose and have fun too, doesn't lend itself to complaining about knees, backs, and the range of ailments that plague the senior set.
Vic,

I have to agree. Most of the members you meet will rarely complain about their health issues. One of our Unit board members just went back in for chemo again and sent me an E-mail apologizing for not being able to make a rally I didn't even know he was sick.

I have found that you have to pace yourself at a big rally. The schedule is packed and you can run yourself into the ground if you try to keep up with the "old timers" I know of too many folks who retire and sit in the lazy boy and fade away. Staying active is the way to go for me.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #190
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Shiny Trailer

Yeah, Brett, That was me. I am still working on it to finish the job. Waxing it this time with Mothers Carnuba as well. Fort Christmas was fun.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #191
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brett/Vic,

Not that it really matters, but I'm in total agreement with the overall comments posted.

I like how you all see that engagement is the key, not forcing a fit for the sake of adding numbers.

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #192

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just think it's a shame for there to be working age/families who own AS, who stand at the sidelines and think there's really no place for them in the club, when really if they would all just get involved they would find there is a place for them, and that there are others like them, but they have to make it happen. Certainly much of the activities are inacessable to us, but who says that while the retirees are heading off on a week long rally, the working folks can't hold a rally in the woods somewhere close to home and go fishing, hiking, etc?

And that doesn't mean everyone should join the club, or if you do you should attend every activity, or anything like that. And frankly, obviously some people don't find the club to be a good fit, so why do you keep argueing about it? Just say - that's not for me - and let it be. Obviously some people get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and find value in it.

So I'm not retired, and I have limits to what I can do with my free time - and I almost didn't even renew for this year - but then I decided I would stick it out a bit longer and see if there was any room to make changes that might improve the situation. If there's not, then I won't have wasted all that much time. If there is, then it might benefit a lot of people my age who don't have the time to try and make a change.

All I'm looking for is people to go camping and hiking with. I'll do it alone if I have to, but it's nice to do it with friends when you can.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
My two cents...

I have just spent a couple of hours today reading this thread. It was very interesting. I bought my Safari in the summer of '98 at the age of 32. I have been "a fence sitter" on WBCCI ever since.

Why I haven't joined:

1) I wanted to travel my own planned trips, not with caravans (at least for now). I saw the WBCCI as being primarily a caravan club.
2) I also decided it was an older persons group, I did not want to be the one of the few under fifty.
3) The Blue Beret and pamphlets are down right uninspiring and boring. How about a revamp of this magazine. A friend gave me the Escapees Club magazine and it blew me away! I read it twice, cover to cover. I was so impressed that I joined them right away, just for the magazine!

My humble suggestions for the evolution of the WBCCI:
1) Gear events around a certain age group and promote it as such. Anyone would be welcomed but the activities could be focused on a certain age group. That way I would know that I would not be out of place and the event was for me. For example, I see the Newberry Crater, Oregon Rally is being organized for young people and families and being promoted as such. That makes me want to attend this one and I hope to make it. The PERCEPTION of WBCCI as a group of elderly RVers is a REAL problem for the future of the club.
2) Be a total support club rather than a caravan club. For example, the WBCCI web site is a joke. Now, compare that to the Escapees web site and you will see what I mean about supporting your members. What other benefits could be offered?
3)Again, I have to say- look at the Escapees club. They have got a lot of things right and WBCCI could take some tips from them.
4)With all that said, I am looking to join WBCCI but have not received anything from the local unit although I received a packet from the National office saying I should get something from the local. After the local unit sends me a reg. packet, I have to send it back to the local unit. The local unit then has to send a packet to the National office then the national office will send me the club packet. That's a convoluted and time consuming way of getting new members. Need to change that. I joined Escapees on their web site and received the COMPLETE membership packet in THREE days! Very impressive!

After reading this forum, I think the "Forum rallies" sound like what I am looking for (just plain camping with a group of Airstreamers- campfires, potlucks, and happy hours with freedom to do your own thing. No pet shows, "devotion services" or square dancing for me, thanks.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:27 PM   #194
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
See what I mean

Again, comments from someone who has sat on the fence and placed judgement without trying it out.

Dont be confused the WBCCI is not the Escapees. The WBCCI is much more than that.

Remember and never forget, Escapees and all other "Caravan" Clubs were followers and mimickers of the WBCCI.

I have never been on a caravan and I love it!
if you really want to know what it is like, join the club.

As for membership over the phone or web, I am not impressed.
That to me is an indication of impersonality. That is just my humble opinion. I have heard great things about the Escapees and I too would consider joining. But how can I possibly convey to others what is their downfalls never being a member? Would you trust my opinion?

Dont knock it until you try it.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
First Impressions

Ken,

Big Dee made some pretty observant comments which have legitmacy and should be taken to heart. First impressions are important and the Escapees win in Big Dee's opinion.

i.e. If a restaurant looks grungy and dirty do you go in? Probably not even if the food is the best in town.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:55 PM   #196
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
I concur

Maybe I expect too much. It would be nice if folks just tried it out. As far as restaurants, momma always said the best food come from the greasiest restaurants. Maybe that is why I dine at the WBCCI

Its all good
Smily
Old 01-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #197
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Davyyd/Bid Dee--

Africkenmen!

Can you hear me now?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Sorry Ken and other WBCCI Boosters-
I knew I was going to upset people by pointing to "another" club over WBCCI but I wanted to explain why that "other" club got me and WBCCI didn't. Isn't feedback like that good? Not passing judgement just feedback from a fence sitter.

As for spending $70 (+ rally fee) on something just to see if it fits is hard for me to do. I know the National rally is open to non-WBCCI members but that date or location just hasn't worked out me yet. I want to go when it gets to the west again. I investigated WBCCI as much as I could in the past to see if it was for me but my impressions told me to join when I was retired and ready to caravan. Seems like other people have this impression too so if it is a wrong impression then WBCCI should do something to change the impressions people get from the "outside". Impressions from outside the "circle" are important if you want those new members. It is just hard to join the circle if you don't feel it is for you.

But I did finally decide to attend the regional rally this year and hopefully the Newberry Crater, OR Rally in August so I went to the WBCCI web site to join. That was in early December and still waiting to hear from the local unit. As for that "other" club, I signed up last week and have now have been a member for days. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to call the WBCCI local unit myself to request again the reg packet be sent to me. Something wrong there...

And as for the web, it is the future and it is now. I hope that the attitude of WBCCI isn't that the web is "impersonal" and not worth a good website. That would turn off many young potential members. I LOVE the web and prefer to do ALL (i.e. paying for memberships) my business on it!
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #199
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dee..
....remember that most of the WBCCI folks are volunteers.......

I totally agree with you. You're perception matches exactly what my local unit here in Illinois was like.

I am happy for the folks that have a good unit and frankly I'm jealous. I wish my local folks were as forward thinking as what has been stated. However, I'm not really willing to go to a different part of the country to be a WBCCI member....so either the local unit will change it's course or it too will die because I not only don't have the time to try to change it, but I don't have the desire either, even if I had the time.

I now step respectfully off my ra ra soapbox.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 AM   #200
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Maybe later

Dee, Glad to see you have at least attempted it and you are correct. If the local units aspire to thrive then they should indeed become more proactive in gaining members and retaining members. If you will PM me your info, I will personally find what the problem is and get a hold of the person that should be representing the membership committe in your locale.

I do not have experience with the Escapees but I have heard good things. Are they Airstream Exclusive? Do they cater to Airstreamers at the same level as SOB,s (honestly now). I could be wrong but I am here in South Texas and you could not fathom how many RV's are here. There are literally 10,s of thousands of SOB's here. Airstreams are typically one in several hundred, ( I like that). The point is that most people who join the WBCCI prefer to be in Airstream Circles and reap the benefits of that. Whereas, (I speculate), when you are the only AS in the crowd you are typically a minority and folks dont even recognize AS as an active manufacturer. ASr's are typically a spectacle, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Just check out some of the threads that visit these issues. "What that ol ugly thing", and there are others.

The good thing is that your mind is open and I think that is great. Some others are VERY close minded and do not even have the "time" to be a part of any club. I believe that Big Dee will be an asset to any club that is graced by his or her presence. We look forward to having you as a member whether it be in the near or distant future.

Smily