Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #1023

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You are correct Bill. If you were to join the club on the 1st of July, your membership would expire on December 31st of the next year. The membership chair in my unit will explain this to Airstreamers who want to join and wait until July to process their membership.

The club website (www.wbcci.org) is being upgraded at this time. When the new site is up, it will have a calendar with all the events from all the units. I think this will be extreamly helpful for people looking for club events.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #1024
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
We have gotten off-topic, as much my fault as anyone's. So, back to the MOHO issue…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." —Freefall©2013
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1025
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, I am still new, and haven't heard about the Buddy Rallies. So, how do they work? Are non-members invited to attend by a member, or can they just decide to go on their own initiative?
It really depends on the individual Units...the DenCO Unit (my unit) has a section in their By Laws that talks about guests. (see attached below) Airstream owning Guests can attend almost any event, if sponsered by a member. Typically, it's a "try before you join" type of arrangement for Airstream owners so if you plan on attending more than once - you will be most likely be encouraged to join. Buddy Rallies are planned to include friends, family & non-Airstream owners to join in the fun at specific rallies.

Quote:
how do non-members find out about the Buddy Rallies far enough in advance to make the arrangements to go?
Most Units have a website that lists their rallies for the year and the hosts or contact person(s). If you don't know anybody already a member, contact the hosts and tell them you want to come check out the Unit. If there are no host's names listed, contact the membership person for the Unit and they will most likely invite you to come along to an event as thier guest or will put you in touch with a sponsor for the event. In our Unit, it is all very loose - fo most rallies. Occaisionally, there is a rally that is limited due to a number of reasons - but most of the time if a potential member wants to come join an event, a "the more the merrier" attitude will prevail.

Quote:
I suspect there is no one universal answer to any of those questions; each Unit probably does things their own way. But it's they're questions each Unit needs to consider.
You're right, each Unit's By Laws and interpretation of Guests & Buddy Rallies may vary...but by just contacting your local Unit Reps, you will get the answers to your individual questions. To find out where the Units either near you or where you're headed are, check out the WBCCI.org/Regions website.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guests.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	156675  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #1026
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
Rockaway , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
WOW ... Cranky, opinionated, and old. The older generation in our unit couldn't disagree with you more! However, if that's the way you want to be, I'll leave you alone so you can continue to think as you will.....
Pah-leeze, I'm so sorry that I have not coddled you and stroked your ego so you feel warm and fuzzy about going to an RV gathering of Airstream owners. Oh please give the WBCCI a chance - pretty please. I'm certain that everyone will gush at how good your happy hour contributions are and will rave at the insatiable goodness of your potluck meals.

Do you feel better now? Let me guess, you're part of the entitlement generation. Reminds me of coaching my kids youth baseball team back in the 90's. The third place team received a bigger trophy than the first place team so that the losers felt better about themselves. Freakish.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #1027
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Quote:
Apologies in advance for the long post…

Many events are scheduled to start mid-week, and/or end mid-week. That's not really conducive to working people looking to maximize their vacation while taking minimal time off from work.
Protagonist:

Most unit rallies start on Friday and end on Sunday. Each region has one region rally per year; these usually start midweek and end on the weekend.

Caravans tend to be much, much longer. We also work and can only get two weeks at a time off. We have attended two caravans but could only do 16 days and had to cut out early. Working does get in the way of Airstreaming but it does support the habbit.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #1028
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
Do you feel better now? Let me guess, you're part of the entitlement generation. Reminds me of coaching my kids youth baseball team back in the 90's. The third place team received a bigger trophy than the first place team so that the losers felt better about themselves. Freakish.
Debated not responding to this, as it makes my point very clear not only about the MOHO issue which defines this thread, but also about the plight of the WBCCI as a whole.

But, for the record, I am not part of the entitlement generation. I moved out of my dad's place while in high school, paid my own way through college (without any help from either of my parents), and have worked for the same employer for over 23 years. I paid more in income taxes than what either of my parents grossed last year. I have my own house, and own my car, pickup, and of course the Airstream, all by working and making money. I even subsidized Social Security ....
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #1029
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Pro', different units are very different. Some are formal, some are informal. Some are stuck in the past, others not. If the one you are in does not meet the needs of a person with a job, check out others—they overlap.

WBCCI members are different too. Some, from their postings, are sarcastic, go out of their way to attack personally and certainly discourage anyone from joining the club. But I have met plenty of members who are nice, friendly and do not jump to conclusions which are always negative.

We have not joined because we don't want to contribute to the squandering of money by the leadership, but let's be fair—units and members vary considerably.

When the club was founded, this was a more monolithic country with a dominant culture that was white, Anglo-Saxon and Protestant. A club could satisfy a larger proportion of the citizenry. But even then not everyone was any of those things, but they didn't get credit for being Americans too until the 1960's. Times have changed. I don't think any one club can satisfy the culture of any group. Even though politicians seem to want to go back to a time that never was, diversity is recognized now. Whether the WBCCI can regain members no matter what reforms are made is questionable. This is a different country and large clubs representing one branch of culture are not doing well. Things come and go. RCA once made the best TV's in the world; now it is a cheap GE brand. Sony replaced it and now Sony is losing money and thinking of ending TV production. Samsung is replacing it. Toyota rose and is now cheapening its vehicles and they aren't as dependable as they were—maybe Hyundai will replace Toyota as the mass producer of reliable vehicles. Note that big Japanese companies are being replaced by S. Korean ones.

So the WBCCI may have to choose between segments of contemporary society—the 1950's culture or a more contemporary one. Trying to make everyone happy does not work as well anymore. The trouble with 1950's culture is that it leads to congestive heart failure.

Gene
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #1030
Rivet Master

I personally wish the USA could go back to some of the ways it was in the 1950's.

Really COOL cars of which each had their own style, look, with lots of chrome, etc... you could tell a Ford from a Chevy or a Dodge, etc...

Most men knew to hold the door open for a lady and kids/adults said "Yes", "Please" and "Thank You" and people in general did not go out of the house in their night clothes food shopping and traveling on airplanes.

And they made 13 panel Airstreams!

Just think if people still had some of the class and values they did in the 50's with the technology we have today?

Enjoy,
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #1031
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
Rockaway , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
Debated not responding to this, as it makes my point very clear not only about the MOHO issue which defines this thread, but also about the plight of the WBCCI as a whole.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. What has happened regarding the MOHO issue is that the motion to amend the rules to allow SOBs has been framed as a way to help save the club by keeping those members in the fray. The point I am trying to make here is that those few who might move into a Thor Class A will not save the club. The challenge that faces the WBCCI is much bigger than that - the club must reach out and appeal to a new generation of Airstreamers. Some moves have been made on the marketing front but it's not enough.

As others have mentioned here - designing caravans that are friendly to the working class would be one step. By designing week long caravans that are interesting to a new group of people would do that. The premise being that by designing really unique and interesting itineraries that would only be available to WBCCI members is a logical way to attract new Airstreamers to the club. The club was born out of caravan adventures and it's a powerful tool the club has by design as way of attracting new members. Leo G had been advocating this years ago. I'm convinced this opportunity remains relevant today.

What get's under my skin and draws out my sarcasm here at the forums is all of the whining that takes place from the non-joiners about all of the reasons why they won't ever engage with the club. Gene posted his reason minutes ago - to paraphrase...I don't want to support the IBT traveling around on my $65 annual dues. Give me a break. What is $65 anymore. I am sitting in a hotel room in the Boston area and when I finish this I am walking across to a restaurant and will have four margharitas, a bowl a guac, and a plate of shrimp quesadias. With tip my dinner will be $65.

People who are afraid to kick the WBCCI tires because of the bitching here are missing out on really good times. That frustrates me and provokes me to write sarcastic diatribes targeted at what sounds a lot like what I hear from entitlement generation. What does not get discussed enough if the fact that fiscal moves are being made to improve the clubs balance sheet. Reducing the number of regions and eliminating the 3rd veep position are small ideas and steps but steps nonetheless.

The old gold row mentality is fading from the club really fast. Most of the IBT today tow rigs. Dress codes at International are relaxing. Theme for the presidents dinner this year is denim and bling. Imagine that?!? No tuxedos. The WBCCI amounts to about 25% of my Airstreaming experience. I look forward to every event I have on my calendar. Why - because I get to sit around a campfire during the weekend and laugh it up with people who have become really good and dear friends - old, young, gay, straight, with annoying kids, with really nice kids. I experience a wonderful cross section of society at every event. It's awesome!

And all the while and what seems like the masses here at the forums don't have a clue what they are missing. That frustrates me. I'm off to my $65 dinner.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #1032
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Finding a $65 dinner for one where we live is not easy unless you want to drink a lot of booze. 50 years ago that would be about $6 or $7, but dinner costs a lot less than that for most people.

And dues for a nonprofit often are close to or exceed $65.

None of this is the point, however—why give money to people who misuse it?

I'd rather give it to someone in need.

Gene
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #1033
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I fully agree with Gene.

Hi, don't be picking on my buddy Gene. Wasting $65.00 on the ungrateful club leadership, or for a dinner for one person isn't how us poor people were able to pay cash for our Airstream and tow vehicle. We enjoy a few forum rallies per year and the rest is for us to travel where we want to go, at what pace we choose to go, and at a cost that we can justify. [And for free, in my thread, on this forum, anyone can read about our travels; Latest one was to Alaska] We have rallied with many great club members, but never had any desire to join, sealed by the clubs bickering and the belittling of those who chose to speak about this club without belonging to it, on this forum.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #1034
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I consider the $65 dues a pretty big deal in my life and it is an expense that is evaluated annually. The WBCCI dues are the highest of any RV club I am aware of. I rationalize it because it is a single brand club.

If the MoHo amendment were to pass I would really give renewing again a hard look.

But then here in the bible belt a $65.00 dinner out would feed 5 and would be alcohol free since you would to have to go 50 miles to find liquor by the drink
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #1035
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Alachua county , Florida
The issue is how many moho owners would leave if not passed versus how many other members would leave if it were passed, not 65 dollars a year. The dues would be a mute point if the moho thing is passed. I will not pay 65 for a non exclusive AS club. Good Sam can fill that need. jim
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #1036
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
ZigZagguzzi,

Not trying to pi$$ anyone off here, so unlike others, please don't take offense.

BTW, I am and have been a WBCCI member for some years now (and no, I don't list my WBCCI number in my public profile).

We had a member in our last meeting express the same perspective you just described. We have 2 current members that would stay in the club (meaning they are 'LIFE' members, and want a moho) if the moho thing would pass. If no other members changed, how would that be a big deal. Help me understand the whole "Exclusive" concept.

I mean, really, how may 'LIFE' WBCCI members do you know (meaning they had to of owned an Airstream to get the 'LIFE' membership) that now have an SOB that would like to be active WBCCI members? Why is the "Exclusive"ness of this, given the low impact, so important to you?

Tags
wbcci