Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs down WBCCI Forums Exercises Censorship

I went over to visit WBCCI.org forums to see what is new and this is a real kicker. Most of the threads have all been replaced with new forums headings all started as a directory to ask questions. There is no more member share thread. All negative and positive that has succeeded in implimentation has been removed. No one will ever know what members accomplished nor will any criticisms be tolerated. I have never seen anything like this on a public forum to summarily remove subjects and replace with a new politically controlled agenda. Only q&a from here on.

Even the members' news has been cut down , even removed the WBCCI wedding of late and only the dead (death notices) remain there.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
It's not really a site I visit often - even less from now on. I consider this site the "Voice of Airsteram Owners" forum - VAOF
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I wonder if this is censorship, or if the forum software simply lost its database of previous posts. If I remember correctly from past participation in that forum, the categories look the same. However, all of the posts that I browsed through a few minutes ago were very recent.
Lynn
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
There are old posts there I believe but even if they were not replacing last years members' share with the long range planning comittee Q&A section, each has an opening to "post questions here" and that is certainly a different and limiting format. I have no doubt the forum is experiencing the same demise as the Blue Beret in that all must applaud the WBCCI or it will not be published. But the removal of posts such as the members share column contained and what members did is also gone. That blade not only censors criticisms but also does not allow credit towards mere members.

How transparent is that? It speaks volumes and is ever so much more harmful than a negative post or a pat on the back to a member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photography
Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
Going in the wrong direction

IMHO, controversies are best handled by enriching the conversation, not restricting it.

Suggestions: Perhaps the WBCCI leadership could host a “talk-back” after some of their big meetings so their audiences can ask questions and perhaps hear from experts on _______. They need to start exploring ways for members to express their points of view through various media. This allows for a continued community conversation in response to important issues without silencing the member's voices.

Perhaps the powers that be are concerned that various threads/posts on their website might be perceived as a reflection of the WBCCI's position on the issues. This is easily remedied with a disclaimer noting that the WBCCI does not endorse or share all the views presented on their site. However, by controlling the site’s content, the WBCCI would accurately be perceived as endorsing the views it expressed.

I would urge the WBCCI in this matter to encourage member creativity, civic engagement and discussion of opposing views respectfully. You cannot accomplish these critical goals by substituting your words for theirs and papering over real issues on which we disagree.

Burning soapbox now.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Somehow or other, that doesn't suprise me.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I questioned the webmaster and she said: "Older postings are eliminated automatically after a specified time. This can be changed if it is causing some problems."

Perhaps others should also question the missing posts.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I was told by our Region President that the WBCCI forums would be changing and all political posts removed. This may be the start of it.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well how political or old was the news story about Rick and Sandi's wedding? Or is that inappropriate subject matter for member news? I think the new regime just axed the last.

photography
Old 08-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have never posted on the WBCCI forums because they never seemed to be all that active; however, I'm not surprised that "they" are taking this route to control the dissension among the ranks.

It's interesting that WBCCI's forum is heading toward an on-line obit column just as so many members are becoming disenchanted and the leadership is concerned about the club dying. It seems like they are preparing for their own self-fulfilling prophesy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Why not have a headquarters only forum where only club officers can post? That would be about as interesting as the Blue Beret.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Vote the good 'ol boys out at Bozman.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
What happened to this post? "myboyburt has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - WBCCI Forums Exercises Censorship - in the WBCCI Forum forum of Airstream Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-censorship-35 344-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
During a unit officer training session at the recent region 1 rally our Region President told us the WBCCI had decided to remove political posts from it's forum. The club wants it's forum to be a place to ask questions about events, rallies, trailer maintenance, etc and not a place to debate club issues. I don't understand why they removed the thread about the NEU Wedding Rally that was held this year, maybe there was a political statement in one of the reply posts. Who knows.

IMO this is not a smart move for the WBCCI. Members need to be heard and should not have to jump through hoops (meaning having to contact a unit or region officer to have their concerns or suggestions presented to Headquarters). Our Regional President told us WBCCI members can debate club issues on the AirForums and at SaveWally. Neither are an official part of the WBCCI so that seems strange to me. Also heard Leo from SaveWally was part of the decision to change the WBCCI forum, maybe he can provide us with insight. Leo?

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Airstream Forums
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I don't know what happened to myboyburt's post. It does not appear to have been deleted by the Mods. I'll ask one of the Admins to look into it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
"myboyburt has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - WBCCI Forums Exercises Censorship - in the WBCCI Forum forum of Airstream Forums.
Here is the message that has just been posted:
During a unit officer training session at the recent region 1 rally our Region President told us the WBCCI had decided to remove political posts from it's forum. The club wants it's forum to be a place to ask questions about events, rallies, trailer maintenance, etc and not a place to debate club issues. I don't understand why they removed the thread about the NEU Wedding Rally that was held this year, maybe there was a political statement in one of the reply posts. Who knows.

IMO this is not a smart move for the WBCCI. Members need to be heard and should not have to jump through hoops (meaning having to contact a unit or region officer to have their concerns or suggestions presented to Headquarters). Our Regional President told us WBCCI members can debate club issues on the AirForums and at SaveWally. Neither are an official part of the WBCCI so that seems strange to me. Also heard Leo from SaveWally was part of the decision to change the WBCCI forum, maybe he can provide us with insight. Leo?
Questions only...oh brother! As if replies are just flying out of there...NOT! The chasm grows. Give members an inch and they think they own the club! Why they oughtta just squelch that right in the bud, eh? Upstarts think they have won twice with the name change and the motorhome issue, this could be dangerous...They don't need no stinkin input or interference from lackeys! Well, I think I will be saving that membership money this year for my own gas and pancakes and appreciation dinners, thank you very much. Can't say that so many have not tried to pull them along. They don't need volunteers they need carbon copies of themselves, do not be fooled. It's all illusion. Propoganda stamped out from the top. We have zero representation in actuality. It is not a club government it is a monarch. There are no checks and balances. No wonder they beleaguer the point to just go camping ang have fun, they don't want any meddlesome thorns in their side to rock THEIR boat.

photography
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
So I went over to see what was up with this and to my surprise my subscribed threads are gone and I have less posts than I did last time I was there. Some seem to think this is a software issue, I don't think it is. If it was you would have the same thread titles I would think. The forums has the look and feel of being cleansed. Not a good thing IMOP.

I copied my post from there below :

I noticed that all of the threads I subscribed to are gone ! Also noticed that the code of ethics, which btw is read only, is blank. So can I assume that there is no code of ethics ?
I also noticed I have only 7 posts. While I don't post here a whole lot I know posted more that that. I read more than post.
It is my opinion that erasing the past posts is akin to trying to erase recent WBCCI history. If you forget/ignore the past you are doomed to repeat it.
Of course some things are worth repeating !
The people that log in here and read the posts should be able to read EVERYTHING that has gone on since this forum was created. The good, the bad and the ugly.
If this is a software issue I feel it should be addressed
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jim, I concur with Jim & Susan. I don't know what happened. The link you provided has a format error that I can't rearrange to get it to work. Looking at a couple different indicators there is no hint that a post was removed. Would the text you quoted have warranted removal from an AIR Forums thread? Under no circumstances!

I believe I can speak for the mod team in saying that we would prefer not to hinder this conversation. Jim, thanks for re-posting the text. Maybe Michelle would concur in this thread that she attempted to make the post. I want y'all to get back to this thread and I consider more moderator posts a distraction.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
It is possible that the person who made that post went back and edited it. There is a window of edit time, but the note that you recieve of a new post is sent almost immediatly. If you edit a post in the first five minutes after it's made there is no record that it was editied. After five minutes, a little log note is made that an edit was made but not what the actual edits are.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
We are the Borg (WBCCI)

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LocutusOfBorg2367.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	43679  
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
_

. , .
the wb' is more like an bizarro borg...

gradually removing biological distinctiveness...

the membership.

and never had any technology...

unless cb radios count...

the wb will dis similate

resisting THAT is futile...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote