Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Courtesy Parking.....

We just received the WBCCI Directory. While this is an invaluable resource being new to the Club I would like to share a couple of observations....

One is Courtesy Parking.

We realize not everyone has the space, schedule, or allowable policies to provide for such a great service....BUT....the ratio of WBCCI members offering CP in comparison to the number of Members - is in MHO pretty, hmm how do I say this delicately - poor. Maybe we are missing something - other than the obvious reasons why are people not more sharing/social or conscientious members when it comes to offering this service.

Has our society become that scared! that we can no longer feel safe in our own homes. Have we been so tarnished that we can no longer trust. What will be will be and there really is nothing we can do about it by "hiding" behind our own fears - we need to live and experience the human race - the MAJORITY of the human race that sees living and friendship as the key elements to a full life. (Not to get too philosophical )

Onto the second observation - totally on the abstract to the above!

The only two directories we have seen leave 3 key pages completely blank! I understand that there is an advertising section and I am sure each advertiser pays their dues -but what a source of income the WBCCI is missing here! Any magazine/program/directory knows that the Back Cover, Back Inside Cover and Front Inside Cover are Prime exposure locations!

So if this organization is so rich that it does not require the income from these pages - then why not turn those pages to help Charities! Promote special Charity Events.

And if this organization feels that this is not important either - then the very least utilize the pages to get their own membership pumped up with INTERESTING photos to promote WBCCI. As in this year the 50th Anniversary - it might have occurred to some that this directory may become a collectors item - and the Mustard Yellow cover just does not cut it in todays creative society. What would it have taken to put 5 key pictures to cover the 5 decades???? It would not cost any more - as at least the one side is already printed in colour - and last I saw a printing press was the sheet is flat no?????

Sorry - I am a bit critical ( and please understand that I am taking steps to get more involved at the grass routes) - so I am not just a "critic" I am also a "doer" but surely others feel the same way - what are we waiting for - a generation to leave to make way for a new generation to come in - not good enough. The young need to work in harmony with the old to build a better organization for all of us one that will sustain yet another 50 years!.

The norms and standards of yesteryear need to be questioned, justified for today's society or built up further to bring forth the strong values of yesteryear - we (young) have the voice (energy & resources) and our predecessors (our elders) have the values (systems & experiences)!

My third observation which is probably the most important one is the lack of cohesiveness between three key elements to "Airstreaming"
1. The Manufacturer - the builders of the future
2. The WBCCI - the builders of the present
3. Vintage Airstream - the builder of the past

The fact that these three entities do not seem to work in harmony certainly sends some pretty disappointing signals to new comers - whether they may start with a brand new trailer hot of the production line - or a tired vintage gem in need of a re-generation - it is all the same.

I'm not knocking the club, the Rallies, the Caravans and all the other special things it's own members make happen - but are they all that we want to be?

We rally for a few blankets, and pennies hear and there - when we can be so much bigger and better.

2005 marks the 75th Anniversary of an amazing "icon" and what do we hear about it???? What are the amazing events across north-america to celebrate - any special production of any type of promotional item that each owner of an airstream product can purchase - not even a special key fob!......
And WBCCI celebrating their/our 50th Anniversary and again where is the big hype here (a special caravan re-inactment of the inaugural caravan) and an International with the word Birthday added to it. Why my local sporting organizations put more energy into the 5, 10, 20 and 25th anniversaries than what I can see happening this year with WBCCI.

So tell me anyone - I can take it - am I missing something??? are there communiques out there that have all the celebrations listed? Or neat 75th & 50th collector items for sale? Or is this along the same mentality as Forum Decals - just a simple item that can bring a lot of people some great pleasure and added exposure to the "airstreaming" way of life but requires a supreme court decision to get it off the ground!

Written with the utmost respect for all those members and people who are and were the founders and the sustainers for the past 75/50 years.

Oh and before anyone starts to knock the Office and professional staff (I have been in their shoes too!) It is the members of the Boards, Regions and local clubs that need to lead the organization! by giving their staff the direction and leadership they need - if we don't ask we will not receive.

However it is or should be the Headquarters responsiblity to build the working realtionship with their organizations product suppliers - such as the Airstream Manufacturer Why the other clubs like Good Sam have a better rapour with their recreational suppliers (by observing their club activities and magazines)- as well it is or should be the Head office's mandate to improve coordination of their Intra-Clubs - ALL intraclubs! Something as simple as registration - Why VAC membership would go to a separate place is beyond me - in the by-laws VAC is not a separate entity - they are a "club within" WBCCI! again am I missing something here?

I am sure these comments will boil some blood - and I sure hope I have not offended anyone - nothing is meant personally - I just see so much potential and yet so many road block/barriers.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
We just received the WBCCI Directory. While this is an invaluable resource being new to the Club I would like to share a couple of observations.... (giant snip)
Maria and I have had similar thoughts. One sore point in particular is that some of the RV parks listed in the parks section of the book don't give the discounts that they are said to give. Pooh. But, then -- and this might be relevant to some of your points -- it's important to keep in mind that WBCCI is, in large measure, a volunteer organization. And, like most other partly/mostly volunteer-run organization, a lot depends on availability of resources, time available to devote, energy, cost of cigarettes, and just about everything else. As a result, some things get down as we'd all imagine them to be in an ideal world, and some things get neglected.

Lynn
Old 01-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I would offer courtisy parking of my parts source was not in the spot I would use.
I like the "Vintage" feel of the 50th book.
You got me with the seperate "club" page for the vintage units.
I willing to bet that there maybe some hop-la birthday stuff as the season starts. I will report back after I go to the local RV show next week on any aniversery stuff.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Going to Rv show next w/e

Hello everyone, especially my friends and furbabies from Stoney Lake,
I have to agree with alot that Sharon has to say. We also are attending the annual RV show in Toronto and will be seeing what is being promoted for the anniversary of Airstream.. Hopefully there will be something.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up Major Kewl

I need to call home and see if mine came today or not....Somone check and see if I am in there this year #2449 BTW we do have courtesy parking and if you are willing to share power and water we could support a mini rally with a little notice

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Can't even courtesy park our own trailer

In the brave new world of home owners associations dictating what you can plant in your yard, parking our own trailer overnight in front of the house could result in a fine. In my opinion that is a contributing factor. If I had a few acres outside of town I'd have a couple of level slabs with full hookups for streamers passing through.
-ken
Old 01-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Aaron,
Yep, unit 144, but your not listed under Courtesy parking. Now I can send you junk mail.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Peter & Sharon, that post ought to be must reading for all of the elected WBCCI officials. The really sad part is that you feel the need to 'pre-apologize.' Been there; done that; know why; and haven't figured out a way around it yet.

So many good ideas. So many good suggestions. If anyone gets their blood boiling or suffers some other innapropriate emotional or physical response to your post, the should go do something constructive.

Thanks much. I know one unit that will be mulling your ideas for possible local level consideration and implementation.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yes, we offered courtesy parking in 2004 but not this year. We don't have community restrictions, but simply a tough driveway and an unlevel lot. Only trailers of 25 or shorter length can make it.

Our 17-foot Caravel has little trouble, but when we parked a 25-footer this summer, it took nearly half an hour and some skillful backing technique. Knowing this, I felt it was better to drop the offer of courtesy parking rather than run the risk of a disaster.

Our new property will be level and have two courtesy parking spots, but local zoning prohibits "campers" from being connected to hookups of any type. So we can offer courtesy parking if you don't mind (a) breaking the law; or (b) boondocking.

I suspect most people have restrictions which prevent them from offering courtesy parking. These might include a driveway too short or twisty for anything but cars, no extra parking space, an unlevel lot, neighborhood or zoning restrictions, fear of liability should someone have an accident in the driveway, overhanging trees, or perhaps the fact that the owners are often on the road themselves.

Still, I think the club members can do better than a few dozen courtesy parking spots nationwide. If you've got a suitable space, make it available! Every time I've used or offered courtesy parking through the club or this forum, I've had a great time and met some great people. It's well worth the effort, and you'll have a much more memorable night that you would at just another KOA.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy

I agree that the WBCCI and the Vintage Club need a little more cohesiveness. When we joined WBCCI last fall and went to a mini rally, we were surprised to find out that we also had to join the Vintage Club. We have not done that yet. They have sent us an application; and the newsletter was very informative. We plan on spending more time in the groups after retirement, but right now most of the vacation time is spent visiting the grandkids.

I also agree that the International Rally has not been "advertised" enough. The Blue Beret is the only place I've seen an application/information; whereas the the Great American RV Rally has been advertised in every magazine I pick up. Are we that exclusive? I mean, I like to be a little special, but really.....

Our RV show here is in February. We'll see what they do here, just miles from where the rally will be.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think Rich has hit it on the head about why more folks don't offer courtesy parking. Most of the ASers in my unit on on the road all year anyway, no one would be home to welcome you to drop by!

We have courtesy parking though, it's just a level spot in the grassy field next to the Caravel. We even had someone call about using it last summer, but their plans changed and they headed on to somewhere else. But it's there if anyone wants to swing by. We also have a state park across the street, which I would highly recommend, but we're free

I hope I have a chance to take advantage of someone elses offer of parking on our travels this summer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:25 AM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thanks till

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Aaron,
Yep, unit 144, but your not listed under Courtesy parking. Now I can send you junk mail.
I thought we had listed for Courtesy parking...oh well, I agree with Stef too about people not being home. We are NEVER home due to our jobs, however we live on family property so somone (like one of the cats ) would be glad to point you in the right direction of the hookups, if it is one of the cats please dump a scoop of food in the bowl for them in payment for using the parking.
Also IMHO the reason a lot of community HOA, Covenants, etc are becoming more prevalent is people no longer have a sense of wrong or right; or they have the attitude "it is my property and you can't tell me what I can and cannot do with it." You may be parking your nice shiny AS beside the house, but then you have whoever with a collection of broken down mobile homes. We saw one house in a nice neighborhood that looked like a salvage yard, old cars and at least 3 TT in various states of disrepair. I am glad I wasn't one of their neighbors. I don't have a problem with salvage yards but there are proper places for them. BTW we have a small one of our own....but it is way up behind the barn, where it cannot be seen from the house.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
How Many ?

I Am new to AS (June 04) But this Courtesy Parking is really interesting,I wonder what the percentage has been over the years that will let fellow members stay on your property,I think it is a heck of a deal for everyone involved,while camping in CGs this year in my AS I have ran across 4 ASers, They invited us in their AS like they knew us for years,If I has the space I would offer CP ! Scott
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Courtesy Parking

I'm in Stow, MA and am courtesy parking tonight, Monday, through Wednesday. There's a nice 69 28 foot Airstream parked next door. This is my first time Courtesy Parking, and what a neat little spot out behind the Farm Market and Greenhouse..reminds me of when my grandfather (the reason I have an Airstream) would park his out behind his greenhouse when I was a kid.
Most campgrounds are closed up here, and so I decided to give the CP a try so that I could bring my Airstream on a business trip...the company loves it too...no $$$ like a hotel would be.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Rob's got an idea. See his signature? What if every forum member identified if they had courtesy parking, right in their signature and profile? We could increase the number of courtesy parking spaces by hundreds ...

We could even get a bit clever about it and include a few clues as to the services available:

CP: Courtesy Parking
W: water hookup
E: electric hookup
30A: 30-amp connection
S: sewage hookup or dump available
WIFI: wireless Internet available in driveway
PM: send Private Message to inquire about availability
PH: call (phone) to inquire (see profile for phone#)
MAX: maximum length

Example:
-- Rich
PM me for CP in Ferrisburg, VT. W/E (30A)/WIFI, MAX 25

A bit like a singles ad in the newspaper, but pretty handy. I've had excellent luck asking Forum members for courtesy parking, and often there are nice little bonuses, like edible goodies or tourist info.
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I live a block off old Route 66 in Chandler, Oklahoma. I have a big yard and would welcome anyone who would like to spend a night. Judy let me know. Can't accomodate many people, but one or two would work out.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Great night's sleep

Got all set up here at the site in Stow, MA. Nice site, with electric only. Could have water if I had a longer hose. I agree with Rich. Maybe we can build into the forums a CP search capability....this is a great resource that goes unused most of the time. I am the first one to use it here.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 04-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Great night's sleep

Yes, I think that this is a great idea, and a service that goes unused too much. I love having other Airstreamers stop over. I've had two since I said I'd do it, one in VA and one in NY. I am using just electric here in Stow, MA - I coul dhave water but my hose isn't long enough. Not the most level site I've been in, but it works.

Maybe the forum could have a CP search capability - to the Moderators. By state.
Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
courtesy parking

We've been members of WBCCI since early 2001. We've always been listed in the book to have courtesy parking. We live within miniutes of the major highways in New Hampshire and have never been contacted to provide parking. Sigh! I always thought courtesy parking to be a novel way to meet people who share some of the same interests of myself.

I've changed my signature to include Courtesy Parking. Great Idea.

Mark
Old 04-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Personal Thanks

I'd like to thank my hosts, the Tylers, WBCCI #3389, here in Stow, MA for their courtesy in letting me borrow an electric extension cord and a parking spot on their farm. I enjoyed staying next to the 69 Overlander (the year I was born) and a trailer I'd love to have.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Courtesy1.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	11654   Click image for larger version

Name:	My host1.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	11655