Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
I'm pretty sure most members of the WBCCI join because the club is brand specific. I know I did. Other general RV clubs exist. The WBCCI should not try and compete with them, as it would change the nature and uniqueness of the club and Rallies.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I have contacted Jackson Center and offered to write an article expressing the opposing viewpoint. Cindy will send my offer to the committee for their decision. Actually, I have the article basically done. Anyone who would like to see it, and offer constructive comments, can PM me for a copy. Hopefully, with the more open WBCCI, my article will appear.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
We have just bought our airstream, downsizing from a motorhome. We joined WBCCI because we thought it would be good to travel with other airstream people and learn. A TT is different then a motorhome and I am not sure traveling with or parking with motorhomes is what I want.
Trying to understand what is going on and get the facts is difficult at best.
I don't understand why more airstream people don't join.........there must be a reason. Are they much younger and want different activities?
Are they working people and only have short trips?
or are they just indepent and want no groups.
Until I get to some rallies and talk to more people and until we sell our home and make our move I will not be joining a unit so that does not help.
I understand there is a great difference in the units, maybe that is a issue.?
As a new member this anger, confusion, change and lack of clear information is not what I wanted to find.
As a new member I do not have friends with airstreams.
As a person who is moving, everything will soon be changing for me.
IT would be nice if a airstream group was a airstream group.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bina
We have just bought our airstream, downsizing from a motorhome. We joined WBCCI because we thought it would be good to travel with other airstream people and learn. A TT is different then a motorhome and I am not sure traveling with or parking with motorhomes is what I want.
Trying to understand what is going on and get the facts is difficult at best.
I don't understand why more airstream people don't join.........there must be a reason. Are they much younger and want different activities?
Are they working people and only have short trips?
or are they just indepent and want no groups.
Until I get to some rallies and talk to more people and until we sell our home and make our move I will not be joining a unit so that does not help.
I understand there is a great difference in the units, maybe that is a issue.?
As a new member this anger, confusion, change and lack of clear information is not what I wanted to find.
As a new member I do not have friends with airstreams.
As a person who is moving, everything will soon be changing for me.
IT would be nice if a airstream group was a airstream group.
THe real joy of the WBCCI is at the Unit level. If you go camp with different Units you will find the group you'll want to hang out with. Join em and have a ball. They are all diferent. So like Mama said. "Ya gotta shop around."

The National is something that sometimes needs to be coraled and the members will do that. Don't let the National be a factor. The point of the whole organization is camping and having fun.

In several places folks have started new Units to meet their needs.

It's all good. You get out of it what you put in.

Don't forget that if you go on Forum Rallies you'll have fun and meet WBCCI folks and they can help direct you to the Unit that fits also.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #173
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Spicewood , Texas
Good bye to a to the IAM generation,to much politics!

NO,TO MUCH OLD WAYS,TO MANY OLD PEOPLE!

Will it re-invent itself or will it fade away as the Lawrence Welk generation passes on?

It seems like the majority of the WBBCI membership is over 60. The beginning wave of the boomer generation just turned 60.

When you look at other organizations (except for monopolies or government organizations) you usually see an alternative. For example: McDonalds & Burber King, Home Depot & Lowes, Hertz & Avis, etc.

Do you see the "Air" (Airstream Forums) movement becoming an alternative organization to the WBCCI?

Personally, I don't see boomers wearing blue berets. I believe that the WBCCI will continue to contract and maybe stabilize at around 3000 members. I believe that it will take 5 to 10 years before the boomers would be in control of the club and that is too long. I don't begrudge the older generation; it's their club and can run it the way they always have. But to think that the next generation will keep it going as it has been may be shortsighted.

It also seems like the "Air" movement is just beginning (fun rallies, blue numbers, few rules, etc.)

Just wondering how others see the future for airstreaming.

Air Apparent[/quote]
Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Kingfisher

I see the future in the formation of new Units.

In my area there is not a Unit that fits well. So a group of WBCCI and Air forums members are looking into starting a Unit that does fit.

Thankfully the FCU broke the ice and the formation of new Units is not that hard. It only takes ten trailers to have the Unit of your dreams. Go for it.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
We can afford to disagree. We cannot afford to be disagreeable.
Hear! Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I think it is you that is showing intolerance. Carol has been perhaps the most civil of those who have expressed a disapproval of this motion that the IBT is proposing.
What this condones is accusing others, directly, of criminal behavior in these discussions, casting judgment prior to hearing what someone has to say, challenging others for polar positions that terminates discussion and shows an unwillingness to listen to others or to learn about issues. IMHO, these kinds of behaviors should not be condoned, much less lauded as MM is saying, and should concern us all.

I also think that specific accusations such as in this quote should be properly supported. Unfounded opinions about issues are onee thing, accusations of others are another entirely. If you accuse me of being intolerant, tell me what it is I said that makes you think so. That, at least, allows me to clarify the misperceptions. It is the two way dialog which is criticial to responsible communication.

I really need to have it explained to me why asking for civil discussion is being intolerant. What is it about describing objectionable behavior that is intolerant? What is it about explaining the reasons for one's views that is intolerant?

Quote:
We joined WBCCI because we thought it would be good to travel with other airstream people and learn. A TT is different then a motorhome and I am not sure traveling with or parking with motorhomes is what I want.
The letter in the March BB that was referenced earlier does not touch this.

As I read it, it puts quantity of membership as a priority above any other concern. It cites the monetary issue as a rationale, which I consider irresonsible. I hope jimmickle can provide a response that doesn't get into the kind of irresponsible accusations and theorizing we have seen in these threads or in letters to the WBCCI President that have been posted in this venue recently. The issues are serious and we need to avoid (IMHO) the taint of conspiracy theories, 'us vs them' rhetoric, delving into others' motivations or knowledge or opinion, and otherwise castigating, impugning, or accusing other members who don't agree with us.

From my recollection, WBCCI has put membership quantity above all else for more than ten years. Accomodations have been made to put qualifications above standards in both specification (e.g. the 06 Base Camp compromize) or enforcement (e.g. current grandfathering of ex-Airstreamers).

The BB March 06 BB MoHo report had several presumptions worthy of question:

“The scenario of increasing losses in membership is not attractive.”

But what are the qualifications for membership? What should WBCCI do if members do not meet those qualifications? How are those qualifications pertinent to the organization? Is a smaller organization with high standards better than a large one with loose standards?

“WBCCI” cannot maintain the current level of member support in the face of significant membership losses”

What other factors are involved in maintaining such services? Are the services appropriate for the organization? Are there efficiencies that can be applied? Are there other ways of doing things? What is being done to improve cost effectiveness of service delivery?

“There is a certain amount of fixed cost that cannot be saved below a certain level of dues income.”

Why should this be true? How do other organizations manage it?

“The scenario of increasing losses in membership is not attractive.”

Does this apply if those members do not adhere to the qualifications for membership? Does it apply if the members do not adhere to the standards for member behavior?

Perhaps it is up to the WBCCI to establish an identity that attracts a certain class of membership rather than abandoning its standards to be a Good Sam clone.

“stable membership can postpone dues increases.”

Stable membership aids in planning but should have very little to do with the cost of dues. This again shows a bureaucratic mentality that ignores innovation and business efficiency. As has been lambasted in these forums, there are many ideas for improving efficiency that have not been well considered (and won't be if the hostility of the 'suggesting' continues).

To me, what is important is what is missing in the report. As WBCCI has strayed from its basic identity of the classic style Airstream trailer, what has been the impact on the club? How do we know? What is being done to prioritize the goals and mission of the club and to measure the club activities in regards to them? What do we know about why people join and what attracts people to the club, to its activities, and to full participation? How do we measure strength of membership in ways other than just how many?

To me, the '06 BB letter, while quite civil, also indicates a lack of thinking about the issues involved. Simple rationalizations are tossed out without any support. The fundamental issue is taken to be membership quantity and other, less tangible, issues are ignored. A good response could avoid the avenue MM suggested or other have engaged in as I have described. Rather, it could explain what is missing and point out the shallow and unsupported assumptions made. It could be highly constructive rather than accusatory and destructive. Let us hope that such a goal will drive the debate.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Get involved and attend as many rallys as you can. Find the unit that fits your needs. The club begins at the unit level, this is where most people will spend the majority of their time. The experience is different for each and everyone of us. The club has much to offer on many different levels from weekends with your local, major event rallys, as well as caravans taking you all across this beautiful land. There are Airstream parks andcourtesy parking at individual homes. Get to know your club and you will learn and appreciate the many things it has to offer, and the most important thing is to find out what you have to offer the club to make it a better organization. We all have talents and its fun to share them with others.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
At the unit level

I will not be able to attend the international rally and I wanted to make sure I got to vote on the motorhome issue. Since I was not sure how this was handled in our unit I emailed our unit president. Here is how the correspondence went.

Swampbillies:
Subject: How does voting work in our unit?

Carl,

We are not going to be able to attend the international rally, but I understand there will be a vote on some important issues. Are there delegates that attend the meeting and vote on our behalf? Or do we get to mail in a vote? How does this work?

Thanks!

President Response:
Thanks for being interested in the well being of our club and the international club.

I will be the delegate to the International Board of Trustees at the international rally.

There will be a alternate (usually the president elect) so if there is a reason that I cannot make the meeting, the alternate will vote as directed by the club.

At this time there are not burning issues at the IBT for the club to worry about.

One of the major issues will be the acceptance of four winds motor homes a Thor product as a substitute for the Airstream motor not being manufactured any more.

I am sure at our Clerbrook meeting that we will discuss this issue but I do not see much opposition to this proposal.

So usually if there is a issue that impacts the club it is brought up at the business rally or now will be put out on the e-mail for comment.

Hope this give you some idea of the voting process of our international. It is similar to our electoral college in national election with units represented by their delegate with the will of the club being voted by the delegate.

Regards
Carl & Sandy

SwampBillies:
Carl
I wish that I could attend the meeting at Clermont for the discussion about letting non-airstream units into the WBCCI. Unfortunately, we are not going to be able to attend.
Will you be sending out emails to ask for opinions on this and any other issues that require a vote on our behalf?
Will you be informing us of what that vote will be?

I am awaiting a response. I am totally shocked by the unit level interest in this. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that my unit president owns a motorhome.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #178
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No burning issues? No opposition?? O.K. Somebody has blinders on.... I'm sorry swamp, but which unit are you in? (you can PM me if you would rather not say in public). I would like to do a little research.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
It is the Tampa Bay Unit. We are new members and joined this unit because they were the only Florida unit I could find with a website. I was so surprised by this! If it had not been for this forum, I would have had no clue what was happening! Until I went to a rally with all the SOB's! I am very dissappointed. I suppose the search is on for a new unit.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #180
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, I guess that answers that question as to why there would be little opposition or care about the issue. Thanks.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #181
_

. , .
ok wally savers....

has anyone sorted out the moho ownership data...

not counting classics.

i understand there are about 800 mohos in the club...

this does represent 15-1600 members correct? doesn't EACH family member count?

i know the IBT is thick with mohos,

but what about at the unit level?

in other words how many local unit officers are in mohos?

this could have a huge impact on the vote...

IF the current pres. or pres elect for a unit is in a moho,

there will be intense and regular pressure on local members to vote yes.

i suspect many/most units vote as their officers do...

thoughts?

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #182
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Well 2Air, since this is my unit President that sent me that email, and he is in a moho, the way I see it, I wouldn't have had a choice. And I may not even now. He is the one that gets to go vote for all of us. So I would say depending on how many times this scenario repeats itself, we could be in trouble.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins