Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Being a dutiful Government employee, I have to take annual training for "Information Security." It's not difficult to set up strong passwords.

Minimum 8 characters, but allow more, so that hackers can't even be sure the length of the password.
Minimum of:
Two uppercase letters, not the same letter twice, not your initials.
Two lowercase letters, not the same letter twice, not your initials.
Two numbers, not the same digit twice.
Two special characters (*&^%$#@!), again not the same one twice.
No actual words in the password ("ThEm" for example).

For an online WBCCI directory, I would set it up the login requirements something like this:
Enter your self-chosen username (which is NOT your real name!);
Enter your WBCCI number;
Enter your self-chosen password.

Having three login requirements rather than two should make it harder to fraudulently obtain WBCCI directory information. And since WBCCI members should have no problem remembering their own WBCCI number, even if you write down your password because you can't remember it, you won't have to write down the WBCCI number with it. Even if someone finds your written-down password, they haven't found all of your login information at once.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I can't get too excited about protecting my info that appears in that directory. It is available numerous places.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I can't get too excited about protecting my info that appears in that directory. It is available numerous places.
Personally, I agree. But the whole objection to an on-line directory seems to be those members who ARE worried about it. And those members seem to be the ones in a position to decide, whether they're in the majority or not. They certainly claim to represent the majority, but I doubt the majority has ever officially voted on it.

Saying, "You can choose not have have your information listed online just by opting out," doesn't sway them. They still say, "I don't want my information online, so you can't have yours online, either."

Saying, "We can keep your information secure," doesn't sway them. They say, "Nothing online is secure enough for me." (And yet they make reservations online with a credit card…)

Saying, "It's easy to learn how to use it," doesn't sway them. They say, "I don't want to learn."

Saying, "It's more convenient than carrying around a magazine-sized directory everywhere," doesn't sway them. They say, "I don't need it often enough for that to make a difference."

Saying, "If you don't keep up with the times, we won't be able to recruit new members," doesn't sway them. They say, "If you do this, you'll lose existing members, starting with me."

Have I missed any of the objections? The problem is, the nay-sayers have their minds made up, and we'll never convince them to change their minds. So, it all boils down to that last objection… Do we modernize the WBCCI directory in the hope of attracting new members, at the risk of alienating an unknown number of existing members?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This is the digital age. Clubs that resist that will not do well and will not attract people who prefer the benefits of that. I was ok with pre-digital life, but we wouldn't have this Forum and other benefits. We now have more information available than ever before and I wouldn't like to go back to the good ole days of 20 years ago even if I don't understand the whole digital bag.

Every change brings problems, but stopping change or refusing to adjust means being left behind. Privacy is a concern and it is not being solved as quickly as I'd like. Anyone with a supermarket affinity card has given up on privacy so they can get a few items at fake discounts and buy gas for 3˘ less. There's no going back. The WBCCI appears to be making some efforts to change, but it is like an old man who resists cell phones, computers and seat belts. There are always other organizations ready to take the place of the older groups who don't change fast enough. You are reading this on one of them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
WBCCI has a Vintage Club within it. The problem is it is dedicated to Older Trailers. It should be dedicated to Older Members.

The torch should be passed to a younger membership that can continue the Club while holding a place of honor for the Vintage Membership just as the Club now does for Older Trailers.

There is far too much heritage within WBCCI to allow it to wither just because of a refusal to keep pace.

We have just gone through 5 or 6 years of denial with respect as to the governance of the Club. First by limiting those that could run for office then by stonewalling needed changes in the Constitution. Now we will commence a period of curtailed communication lest any form of progress be realized.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
WBCCI has a Vintage Club within it. The problem is it is dedicated to Older Trailers. It should be dedicated to Older Members.

The torch should be passed to a younger membership that can continue the Club while holding a place of honor for the Vintage Membership just as the Club now does for Older Trailers.

There is far too much heritage within WBCCI to allow it to wither just because of a refusal to keep pace.

We have just gone through 5 or 6 years of denial with respect as to the governance of the Club. First by limiting those that could run for office then by stonewalling needed changes in the Constitution. Now we will commence a period of curtailed communication lest any form of progress be realized.
I understand the point of your comment, but in my experience so far it seems the Vintage Intra-club has on average younger members.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My error on typing.

There should be a second Vintage Group dedicated to Older Members not quite able to keep up. At 72 I want something to look forward to as I and my trailer age.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote