Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Twin bed owners - can you use them as seating options while stationary?

We are finalizing our decision on which configuration AI to purchase and are trying to decide between twin and lounge. We haven't been able to see a twin in person and are hoping to gather info from current late model twin owners. We are considering a 2018 model. Here are our questions:

1. Can the twin beds be used as seating areas during the day while stationary? Are there any backrests or similar? We realize that they cannot be used as seats while driving.

2. Have you figured out a way to sit upright in bed since there is no headboard? I'm envisioning us lying in bed with our feet extended and our backs upright, using a laptop, reading a book, or watching the television. One feature I love about the lounge is that I can control the pitch of the backrest by only putting it partially down, making a nice way to extend my legs while still sitting mostly upright.

3. We found the lounge lumpy, and know we can resolve that with a topper. We'd rather not have the hassle of making the bed and storing a topper. Are the mattresses provided reasonably comfortable?

4. What else do you like or dislike about the twin configuration? Do you miss having the table in the back, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your input. This forum has been amazing!!!
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
We have a 14 twin and no, they don't really work out well for sitting. As a lounge you could use a wedge pillow to prop yourself up while reading, etc. Mattresses are pillow top memory foam and very comfortable although they are a bit narrow (27"). Our RV has the wardrobe and I installed a magnetic floor stop which holds the door open 90 degrees which makes the bed area private and keeps the tv remotes from operating the opposite tv when we're each watching one of the tv's. We're happy with the twin and would do it over again. We travel and sleep in our rv but don't really hang out in it except late evenings when we may be on the computer or watching tv. If you're interested in one of the twin/wardrobe models, Crain RV in Little Rock has what may be the last brand new one on the planet. It is a 17 model in silver with air suspension. Upon inquiry they quoted me $135k. I'm not in a position to buy so didn't negotiate beyond that. Good Luck!
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
We find the twin beds very comfortable to sleep on once you get used to the width. They are not the best seats, but it can be done and we sit there frequently. There are four bolsters that wedge between the mattresses and the windows that can be leaned against if you add some pillows, but only with the shades up. We have the EXT version so we usually have a ladder, inflatable kayak, solar suitcase, screen tent, etc., stashed between the beds and back doors. We pile pillows against all that stuff and lean against it. Good for reading or watching TV.

The front seats are the best for sitting, but with the table up, it hard to get in and out of the driver seat (to get another beer). I ended up making a skinny, oblong table top so I could pass by without moving to the passenger seat first.

We love the twin configuration and would do it again without hesitation. If you need to carry more than two people, it won't work for you.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 25' twin and I would not want a different arrangement. I have found no way to sit in the bed other than a lot of pillows and feet in bed. Have thought about putting chairs instead of lounge but decided to keep lounge in case we need an additional bed and because we have become somewhat used to its discomforts over 10 years of use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I converted my couch to twin beds and I would not go back to the couch. We have the 4-seat model and that gives us all the seating we need for the two of us.

The twins are not much good for sitting, but we pile up pillows and watch TV back there or my wife reads in bed.

I modified the front TV (separate thread) to swing down for comfortable viewing from the second row chairs.

We often open the bathroom door to block light to the rear when my wife wants to go to bed while I am still watching TV up front.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Twin bed owners could always buy a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one for my sofa/lounge, for when I want to watch television in bed without converting the bed back into a sofa.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
We love the twins

We decided the twins would be a good way to go when purchasing our 27' Serenity last year. And they have proven to be, for us.

We searched for and found a place selling fitted sheets for the twins due to the shape and size of the comfortable mattresses. We also found great goose down comforters with great colors. I think they are considered throw comforters, or blanket comforters (?).

We like the twins for a number of reasons.
1. They are easier for both of us to get into and out of than, especially the E/W queen.
2. Easier to make the beds.
3. The trailer looks much longer inside because the floor between the twins goes almost full length. A queen bed disrupts the appearance.
4. There is a lot of easily accessible under bed storage complete with pull-out bins. Easier and more accessible (I think) than lifting up a queen.
5. I think I heard that outside storage might be more, especially the front and behind the propane tanks (though I can't confirm).
6. They can provide additional seating for say 4 folks jabbering away, at least it can work that way.
7. We simply use the bed pillow and other pillows to prop us up as needed to read or watch the tv (very seldom).

Downsides for us? Zero.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
On our 2016 Classic the twins electronically elevate to provide some back support while reading or watching TV. If this feature is not standard on other models one wd hope that you cd order it.

But I wouldn't be able to use as a chair for long and wd not recommend it - unless you want a sore back. The bed - like all other beds - sinks when sat upon - ok for short periods - but ultimately wd put you in bad posture for long term sitting.
SMWASONMYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
When I was in college a million years ago, it seemed every roommate I had, had one of those chair cushions on their bed. I see them in Walmart - would that be a solution?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Twin bed owners could always buy a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one for my sofa/lounge, for when I want to watch television in bed without converting the bed back into a sofa.
The above is what we use for back rest while watching TV from the twin beds. We found the dinette not very comfortable for watching TV. 25' FC rear bed twin.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Thumbs up Twin Bed Owners - Can You Use Them As Seating Options While Stationary?

We have a 2016 25 FC with Twin beds in the rear. we love them. More room to dress, very comfortable. We normally sleep in a queen size but find the twin beds in the AS with more than enough room. Sitting up to read is no problem with two pillows propped behind you. They are not really suitable for sitting on and relaxing, but great for sleeping, watching TV, or reading. Would not do it any other way.
Dlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #12

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
We are finalizing our decision on which configuration AI to purchase and are trying to decide between twin and lounge. We haven't been able to see a twin in person and are hoping to gather info from current late model twin owners. We are considering a 2018 model. Here are our questions:

1. Can the twin beds be used as seating areas during the day while stationary? Are there any backrests or similar? We realize that they cannot be used as seats while driving.

2. Have you figured out a way to sit upright in bed since there is no headboard? I'm envisioning us lying in bed with our feet extended and our backs upright, using a laptop, reading a book, or watching the television. One feature I love about the lounge is that I can control the pitch of the backrest by only putting it partially down, making a nice way to extend my legs while still sitting mostly upright.

3. We found the lounge lumpy, and know we can resolve that with a topper. We'd rather not have the hassle of making the bed and storing a topper. Are the mattresses provided reasonably comfortable?

4. What else do you like or dislike about the twin configuration? Do you miss having the table in the back, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your input. This forum has been amazing!!!
Love the twins in our 2018 27' Flying Cloud! Great mattresses (and I have back issues so this is a valuable comment!). Twins are easier to make up than a regular queen. The night stand between the twins is a good size and the drawer storage is good in the stand. USB ports on each side of the night stand and an electrical outlet at the back of one of the twins.
Pillows are our answer for propping up oneself on the bed for reading and watching tv.
Hope this helps.
CarolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
I simply turned around and sleep with my head at the galley end. This allows me to prop up against pillows held fast by the wall that separates me from the microwave cabinet. The TV - which is above the other bed extends out and about so that I can still watch it from this opposite position.
As for seating, we parked the van in the hospital parking lot while mother was in CCU for a week. Family members used the van in between open visits to relax, talk, store stuff in fridge, watch tv, etc. Between the two coach chairs and the twins we comfortably sat 6 people.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolG View Post
Love the twins in our 2018 27' Flying Cloud! Great mattresses (and I have back issues so this is a valuable comment!). Twins are easier to make up than a regular queen. The night stand between the twins is a good size and the drawer storage is good in the stand. USB ports on each side of the night stand and an electrical outlet at the back of one of the twins.
Pillows are our answer for propping up oneself on the bed for reading and watching tv.
Hope this helps.
Welcome to the AirForums!

Your comment about making up twin beds goes double for the Airstream Interstate class B motorhome that the OP is interested in purchasing. The sofa/bed is in three parts, and fills the entire rear wall-to-wall. You can't make up the bed, really. You can put a foam topper on it and make that up, or do as I do and use a double-bed-sized sleeping bag from Cabela's (and remove the wooden panels on the side-facing seats to get rid of hard points in the bed). You don't really make the bed in a soda/bed Interstate. You just throw the bedding on top and turn it into more of a nest than into a real bed.

If you actually want made beds with real sheets, there's no substitute for twins in an Interstate.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
Greetings, Seems like the majority of the responders here own Airstream Trailers and not Interstates. Totally different animals. The trailers are wider than the AI's and have correspondingly wider twin beds and aisles so please take that into consideration when reviewing their remarks.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
I suggest you look at a adjustable back support frame:

https://www.amazon.com/EasyComforts-...KZR415EM9GWSAB

I purchased one and mounted it under the mattress with a sliding bracket so it was forward when down and all the way back when up. When down, it is flat enough that you don't feel it under the mattress.

Hobo
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
We have the twin in our Interstate and that was what sold us on buying it. It is great as bed and more comfortable than sleeping on seats turned into bed.

No, it is very good for sitting as noted. One way to sit is with your back against the windows. You can then put your feet against the other bed.

I just pile up pillows and lay on it.

It is really the only weakness of this configuration. Otherwise, the long aisle is great and comfort per above very good.

Longer term I need to do a mode to make the end padded arm rest more secure and once there, you can put the pillows against the back door and put weight on it. Right now it has weak hinges that don't allow that.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Longer term I need to do a mode to make the end padded arm rest more secure and once there, you can put the pillows against the back door and put weight on it. Right now it has weak hinges that don't allow that.
You must be talking about weak armrest hinges. The rear door hinges are incredibly sturdy.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I removed the bed extensions, modified them, and used them for headboards on the twins. Pillows do not fall off the end that way.

I intend to use the "garages" where the extensions lived as custom fitted storage for the tools I carry and other similar items.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I removed the bed extensions, modified them, and used them for headboards on the twins. Pillows do not fall off the end that way.

I intend to use the "garages" where the extensions lived as custom fitted storage for the tools I carry and other similar items.

This sounds very interesting. Do you have a picture of the modification? We were thinking about how we might do something similar since the bed extensions seem somewhat useless.
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote