Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Pahaska removed a lounge configuration and added twin beds. I'm still waiting for someone else to remove twin beds and add jack-knife couches. Some of the 1st gen Interstates had those, and IMO they hands-down represent the best of both worlds. Comfortable couch seating while up, comfortable sleeping when down. Not only that, they are capable of being half and half, in case only one person wants to sleep in.

Unfortunately Airstream doesn't offer them as an option any longer, so if someone wants them, it would need to be a DIY or a contract mod.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Pahaska removed a lounge configuration and added twin beds. I'm still waiting for someone else to remove twin beds and add jack-knife couches. Some of the 1st gen Interstates had those, and IMO they hands-down represent the best of both worlds. Comfortable couch seating while up, comfortable sleeping when down. Not only that, they are capable of being half and half, in case only one person wants to sleep in.

Unfortunately Airstream doesn't offer them as an option any longer, so if someone wants them, it would need to be a DIY or a contract mod.

I agree. This would be a wonderful option!
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank you all for your super helpful information. It sounds like you twin owners wouldn't give up the twins even though there are limitations.

I also worry about storage since we will be carrying a couple of folding bikes and camp chairs but I guess we can put them between beds when traveling since I am not sure there's enough room between the end of the beds and the rear doors. Has anyone come up with a solution other than a hitch cargo box? Seems like my only other option....
Old 09-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
This sounds very interesting. Do you have a picture of the modification? We were thinking about how we might do something similar since the bed extensions seem somewhat useless.
I looked through all of my photos and didn't find any that showed the headboards well.

I shortened the bed extensions by removing about 5" or 6" off the end with the triangular bump. I used my pneumatic staple gun to neatly reupholster that end. The headboards are mounted vertically on plywood screwed to the end of the bed with a little space under each headboard so that they extend above the mattresses. I covered the plywood with black marine bunker padding which matches the black fuzz installed by Airstream very well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ouray , Colorado
A standard twin sheet will cover one of the Airstream interstate twin beds AND the cushions in the center pull out section. Then you just use another twin sheet to cover the other twin mattress with the excess tucked in. We've been thinking about taking out some length from the center slide out section at the foot end in order to be able to step a little further back into the van when that is pulled out. Haven't done it yet though. I've also been considering the headboard idea mentioned above. For now just using wedge pillows.
mineralfarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Thank you all for your super helpful information. It sounds like you twin owners wouldn't give up the twins even though there are limitations.

I also worry about storage since we will be carrying a couple of folding bikes and camp chairs but I guess we can put them between beds when traveling since I am not sure there's enough room between the end of the beds and the rear doors. Has anyone come up with a solution other than a hitch cargo box? Seems like my only other option....

I modified our closet to accept my folding bike. (My husband has not decided if he wants a bike or not; we will cross that storage bridge when we come to it.) I have only freakish partial internet connection in my current location. I can see that I wrote the descriptive blog post on that mod on April 9 of this year, but I am unable to call the URL (The Interstate Blog).

Anyway, I was very happy with the closet solution, which allows for better security than hitch storage. I built a removable shelf above the bike; my only comment on that is that our present trip has shown me that I need a second shelf in there for the sake of efficiency, to capture all remaining closet space.

I also built under-cabinet suspended shelving ( another blog post that I can't link). I lash two folding camp chairs under those suspended shelves.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Just a data point: Many of us are very happy with the sofa bed configuration. We can make the bed in a couple of minutes with the RV Super Bag and don't mind a slightly uneven (I don't call it lumpy) sleeping surface. The sofa seating is comfortable for spending longer time in the van and, with the cab seating, provides two "living areas" for when you want a little privacy or separation. There is more versatility if you occasionally have friends or passengers. We never bother with the little table either in the cab or house; we use small cafeteria trays for meals in the sofa area; the jump seats double as tables.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
There is another side advantage to twin beds: if you take the mattress on the driver side out, and then unscrew the long plywood under it, you get access to all the systems from hot water to all the electronics. I have not put all the screws back in the plywood which means I can get into the guts of the system in a couple of minutes.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #29
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
There is another side advantage to twin beds: if you take the mattress on the driver side out, and then unscrew the long plywood under it, you get access to all the systems from hot water to all the electronics. I have not put all the screws back in the plywood which means I can get into the guts of the system in a couple of minutes.

There is definitely something to be said for that. It's a huge time saver.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Just a data point: Many of us are very happy with the sofa bed configuration. We can make the bed in a couple of minutes with the RV Super Bag and don't mind a slightly uneven (I don't call it lumpy) sleeping surface. The sofa seating is comfortable for spending longer time in the van and, with the cab seating, provides two "living areas" for when you want a little privacy or separation. There is more versatility if you occasionally have friends or passengers. We never bother with the little table either in the cab or house; we use small cafeteria trays for meals in the sofa area; the jump seats double as tables.

The RV Superbag looks like a very interesting solution. Do you use a mattress pad underneath or is there enough padding in the bag by itself to smooth out the lumps? I'm definitely not 100% decided on the twin.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #31
Contributing Member

Converted to twins

My twin conversion from the couch gives us the best of the two configurations. I left the electrical box in place that was under the couch and cantilevered the heads of the beds past the electronics box. That gave us great storage in the rear and we still have the under-floor box that is absent in the factory twins. The under-floor box holds all of my leveling blocks, hoses, and the like.

The wide spot that was in front of the couch is now a great place for shoes at night rather than stumbling over them.

There are marine deck plates in both beds for access to the low-water drains and the water heater bypass. No need to disassemble anything to reach them.

I made a nice padded catch-all to go on top of the electrical box for glasses, phone, etc., and relocated one of the drink holders into that box for times we watch TV propped up in bed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My twin conversion from the couch gives us the best of the two configurations. I left the electrical box in place that was under the couch and cantilevered the heads of the beds past the electronics box. That gave us great storage in the rear and we still have the under-floor box that is absent in the factory twins. The under-floor box holds all of my leveling blocks, hoses, and the like.

The wide spot that was in front of the couch is now a great place for shoes at night rather than stumbling over them.

There are marine deck plates in both beds for access to the low-water drains and the water heater bypass. No need to disassemble anything to reach them.

I made a nice padded catch-all to go on top of the electrical box for glasses, phone, etc., and relocated one of the drink holders into that box for times we watch TV propped up in bed.

Ha! Now if only I could get what you have straight from the factory! It sounds like it works great for you.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
The RV Superbag looks like a very interesting solution. Do you use a mattress pad underneath or is there enough padding in the bag by itself to smooth out the lumps? I'm definitely not 100% decided on the twin.
We haven't found a pad necessary. There is some unevenness, but no objectionable (to us) lumps. I highly recommend the bag. Expensive, but worth it. The design keeps the sheets in place, so even if you toss and turn, the bedding stays organized and where you want it. It has a summer and winter side. The winter side is like a moderate sleeping bag; we are comfortable with interior temps down to about 55 degrees with no additional covers.

The sheets can be easily removed for washing. The whole assembly quickly folds and fits neatly in the cabinet above the couch, along with our pillows. Takes only a minute to deploy or store.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #34
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ha! Now if only I could get what you have straight from the factory! It sounds like it works great for you.
It would have worked even better with a later year that has the electrical stuff moved under a side seat. Then, there would be nothing between the beds all the way back.

As it was, I chose not to move the electrical stuff and I'm glad I did; the advantages would not have offset the time and effort. As it is the "hump" is far enough back that it when we sit down on the beds, we are in the perfect spot to lie back.

The electrical "hump" serves to help conceal the clutter of stored items in the rear, as well.

Airstream could do a lot better with their designs.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
More twin bed thoughts

We looked at the twin layout and we saw it as a series of trade offs some good and some bad. The deciding factor was the 27 inch width which just would not work for me. I'm not that big, 6 foot 175 pounds but laying down on it, I was not comfortable with the amount of room around the shoulder area. I am a side sleeper and tend to move around side to side during the night so that may be the issue for me.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #36
Contributing Member

I'm also a side sleeper at 5' 8" and 190# and I have found the twin bed width very adequate. The difference may be that I do not usually switch sides unless I need to get up in the night.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I think the main deciding factor is how much seating you require. With the pre 2018's you could have a maximum of 4 seats in a twin or 3 in a twin with wardrobe while the lounge models provided up to 9 seats. Of course twins are not too convenient for "getting busy". :-)
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
We have a 2016 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Twin. We bought 2 Stander Bed Rail Advantage Traveler - Portable Folding Travel Bed Safety Rails and use them as headboards. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit under the head of the twin beds and we can prop up at night while watching tv. They also have pockets for storing items. We could remove them, but we just keep them in place when underway. They don't get in our way.

For a night table, we use the table that Airstream provides for the front (which we think is too big to use in the front in the twin bed model. However, it is the perfect size to fit between the twin beds and to use as a night table. There is about 5 inches on each side under the mattress. We always store it back up front when underway.
JohanRoa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #39

Columbus , Ohio
We just received delivery on our twin and my wife is wondering the same thing about how to sit up and read. We have discussed the "triangle pillow", but I just had the idea of using a stadium seat that I have for backpacking. We'll have to try it to see how it goes.
bferriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferriot View Post
We just received delivery on our twin and my wife is wondering the same thing about how to sit up and read. We have discussed the "triangle pillow", but I just had the idea of using a stadium seat that I have for backpacking. We'll have to try it to see how it goes.
Welcome to the AirForums!

Stadium seats have another very practical use: The kind that fastens to a stadium bench also fastens very well to a picnic table bench, and makes dining al fresco a much more comfortable experience.