Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #521
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The one we have, posted earlier on this thread, is aluminum and from LLBean.

The top rolls up, attaches firmly to legs, and its' small carry case takes up just a bit of space behind the driver seat.

It is probably not as sturdy as the one shown, although we have only used it ouside, for a table between chairs.

I do like it, tho. And, it's aluminum.

Msggie
Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #522
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Another table idea

I found this little gem while antiquing one day…painted it a "happy" color & retired the folding tv-tray type. It folds to a smaller width, opens wider & is not as wobbly. We move it between the Captain's seats, in front of the sofa,or stow it at the end of the counter.
I know our small space isn't as small as the Interstate's, but I've found many great ideas on this thread…So, thought I'd ad one more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	229872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	229873  

Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #523
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is the one I use for supplemental heating in my Interstate: ...
But as long as you get a "desktop" heater, and it has a switch on the bottom that turns it off if it tips over, you'll do all right, regardless of brand.
Anybody else have any brand recommendations for heater?

We ordered the "Duraflame DFHDH14T Ceramic Desktop Heater" and it's so cheaply made that it arrived from Amazon already with a broken case. It would not survive accidentally being toppled over even if it had arrived intact. I'm sending this one back and I'd like to get something more robust. This is one of those products for which Amazon isn't very helpful because I can't see how durable the plastic is from the pics.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #524
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

We ordered the "Duraflame DFHDH14T Ceramic Desktop Heater" and it's so cheaply made that it arrived from Amazon already with a broken case. It would not survive accidentally being toppled over even if it had arrived intact. I'm sending this one back and I'd like to get something more robust. This is one of those products for which Amazon isn't very helpful because I can't see how durable the plastic is from the pics.
Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat. Highly rated on most review sites. Small enough to go into an overhead locker.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #525
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have the Lasko, as well.

Maggie
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #526
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Like Protagonist, we've been here in freezing temps at Canopener the last few nights and have given our DeLonghi electric heaters a real work out. 1 in the front and one in the back of our Overlander have kept us at a toasty temp, actually so warm I've turned them down with their handy remotes. Best thing is that I purchased them at our HSN outlet for about $15 apiece! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420852198.916436.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	230131
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #527
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Yesterday after I wrote this, I went on a small brick-and-mortar tour. I found several models of "desktop heater" with the tip-over switches, but all of them were made out of the same cheap plastic that I don't believe would stand up very well in a truck (at least not MY truck).

I decided on a Crane model which is a bit different. The exterior housing is metal, not plastic (the metal was described here and there on the internet as "aluminum" but seems to be powder-coated steel... the style bonus is, it looks very Airstream-y / retro).

It doesn't have a tip-over switch but if you look at this thumbnail, you can see that the frame is open on the bottom, like a pass-through. We figured that, if worse comes to worst on fears of dislodging it, we could flip it over and suspend it in mid-air using strong Velcro strips.

Two settings, 800 watt and 1200 watt. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'll post back if flaws manifest.

Here's one of the sales listings, and it's available in-store rather than site-to-store, which can sometimes prove to be an Amazon-like pain:

Crane Personal Ceramic Heater EE-6490 - Best Buy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crane.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	230174  
Old 01-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #528
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schools Out View Post
I found this little gem while antiquing one day…painted it a "happy" color & retired the folding tv-tray type. It folds to a smaller width, opens wider & is not as wobbly. We move it between the Captain's seats, in front of the sofa,or stow it at the end of the counter.
I know our small space isn't as small as the Interstate's, but I've found many great ideas on this thread…So, thought I'd ad one more.
That table is too cute!

We're all small spaces, just some smaller than others.

Maggie
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #529
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have mentioned before how handy suction cup anythings are for the bathroom....for holding cosmetics, shampoos, etc.

I want to specifically say how not useful are those lock-in-place-suction-cup, stainless steel holder things for a bathroom that travels.

The suction cups are not strong enough, and/or the weight of these just will not keep them in place. I despise mine.

Seem to need to re-secure at least one of the two at least once a day, not wanting to pitch them because they are still good and my frugal mindset tells me to use them in spite of how annoying they are.

They are now removed and replaced with plastic storage thingies with nice, secure suction cups from the hardware department at WalMart.

I will place the old ones, many years old but still perfectly good, in a Goodwill donation bin, for someone without a traveling bathroom.

Voila!

Maggie
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #530
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I carry a set of four interlocking mats to use as a place to get some of the grit off our shoes if we do not have a concrete patio. After installing the additional cabinets, I stuffed them in along the left cabinet. That worked fine until we needed to recline the sofa as they protruded too far. Each night I would have to relocate them. I discovered there was room for them between the rear door and the cabinet. I now have them strapped to the left rear door with bungee straps.

During our recent trip to Florida, we were wishing we had taken a vacuum cleaner with us. Pretty hard to keep sand out. I have a relatively small one at home but it still would take up too much storage. On Griotsgarage.com I found this small vacuum which has incredible suction for its size. It conveniently fit in the storage area below the right side seat along with the hose, extension and attachments.

Mighty 500 Watt Detailing Vacuum - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #531
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....I really like that little vacuum cleaner.

I have a Shark 12volt, which holds a charge very well and does a pretty good job, but those attachments...especially the wand....would be very handy. Mine has no wand nor hose.

Will have to use the Shark awhile longer, as it is relatively new, but I'm going to keep that one bookmarked for a later time.

I found a piece of tufted vinyl at Tuesday Morning, which has made a really excellent mat for the entry area. It is in a tiny, muted stripe-ish pattern, with colors seeming to have been designed for my Interstate.

It holds crud coming in on my or Lily's feet, but you can't see it until you take it outside and shake it out. Periodically, soapy water poured over it cleans it right up and it dries very quickly. I love it.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #532
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A military water can from Level 3 container group. Prior to buying our Interstate, I spent some time reading general RV forums, and there was a consensus that RVers ought to carry a jerry can or two of drinking water just in case. The fresh water tank could bloom bacterial slime, the house battery could die, or the pump could fail, so a bit of back-up was a must, especially for boondockers.

The only issue was, the Interstate is too small for a conventional jerry can, so I found this smaller but very rugged 10 L model. I won't break my back lifting it. As a bonus, there was an existing gap beside our fresh water tank that fits this can exactly. This is particularly convenient because the can works as a de facto brace, given that our fresh water tank is not anchored despite being hard-piped (there's that quality control issue again).

Military Water Can | Scepter Military water Can | Jerry Can For Water | 5 Gallon Water Can | 20L Water Can | 2.5 Gallon Water Can | 10L Water Can
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_0205.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	231399   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0207.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	231400  

Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #533
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I use recycled one gallon ice tea jugs for fresh backup/drinking water. I usually carry four of them and they can be stuffed in many spots in the van. I start with filtered water from home and can either refill from safe water source or bulk filtered water available in most supermarkets.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #534
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I use recycled one gallon ice tea jugs for fresh backup/drinking water. I usually carry four of them and they can be stuffed in many spots in the van. I start with filtered water from home and can either refill from safe water source or bulk filtered water available in most supermarkets.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
I wanted something really sturdy and leakproof. Perhaps I'm extra leak-averse because we've seen SO MANY leaks of one kind or another in our Interstate in our short period of ownership, but I'm not willing to entertain the possibility of even more water showing up where it ought not to be.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #535
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have mentioned before how handy suction cup anythings are for the bathroom....for holding cosmetics, shampoos, etc.

I want to specifically say how not useful are those lock-in-place-suction-cup, stainless steel holder things for a bathroom that travels.

The suction cups are not strong enough, and/or the weight of these just will not keep them in place. I despise mine.

Seem to need to re-secure at least one of the two at least once a day, not wanting to pitch them because they are still good and my frugal mindset tells me to use them in spite of how annoying they are.

They are now removed and replaced with plastic storage thingies with nice, secure suction cups from the hardware department at WalMart.

I will place the old ones, many years old but still perfectly good, in a Goodwill donation bin, for someone without a traveling bathroom.

Voila!

Maggie
The new ones have not moved, suspended on the wall, and I am very happy with them.

Going to pick up another to set in the ledge area to the left of the toilet, to hold a couple of things sitting there that always shift when traveling.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	231445  
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These storage thingies are actually called a bathroom "caddy", which is why I could not find a photo of my exact ones.

The photo below is similar, the ones I have are slightly larger than this, and $8.75 at WalMart.

Maggie
Old 02-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #537
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Yup - that was my thought with respect to the 45 degree upper cabinet interior wall in particular. If I can cut the shoe organizer into horizontal strips, reinforce them by sewing on strips of binding tape, and mount them to the angled wall, then the openings of the resulting pockets are basically staring me in the face. As opposed to me having to reach up and over the top into a vertical pocket. ..
I finally got the first part of this project done yesterday. Instructions here:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: MAXIMIZING 'TRIANGULAR' AIRSTREAM CABINET EFFICIENCY, PART 2: FOOD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interblog_airstream_cabinet_shoepocket.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	231498  
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #538
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
I finally got the first part of this project done yesterday. Instructions here:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: MAXIMIZING 'TRIANGULAR' AIRSTREAM CABINET EFFICIENCY, PART 2: FOOD

Genius! Good application for other hard to organize areas too.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #539
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks like it has worked very well, IB.

Thanks for sharing!

Maggie
Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #540
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I wanted something really sturdy and leakproof. Perhaps I'm extra leak-averse because we've seen SO MANY leaks of one kind or another in our Interstate in our short period of ownership, but I'm not willing to entertain the possibility of even more water showing up where it ought not to be.

I agree that you want your water jug to be leak-proof. That's why I use the ice tea gallon containers as they are a lot heavier than gallon water or milk jugs. I was buying the 2 gallon water containers with the spout but they are so thin that the last one I had sprung a leak.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote