Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #481
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We came across one of these...a Camco Knife Safe...at an RV dealer years ago, which is still in use in the Interstate.

Very inexpensive, installs easily, widely available, and holds the knife assortment I seem to feel is necessary.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #482
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have you seen the little reusable twist ties? They are silicone/rubber coated and "grab" really well. We use them to tie open the fridge door when not in use. These might work ok for the door mounting of utensils or bundling the utensils in a drawer to minimize the "jingling". Just lay the item next to the tie and a quick twist and you are done.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #483
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those sound great, Channing....where can you find those?

My utensil drawer, with silicone spatulas of various sizes, in particular, is a fright most of the time.

Those would be a great solution for items of the same ilk.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #484
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use those clear plastic, sticky backed, hooks on the inside of another door, for collapsing measuring cups and a set of nesting measuring spoons.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #485
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Miss Maggie, I find them all over Home Dep and WalWld and sporting goods areas. I think they are made by Nite Ize. Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	228828  
Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #486
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I will find some of those and put them to good use.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #487
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thank you.

I will find some of those and put them to good use.

Maggie
Miss Maggie,
Here is a link
Gear Tie 3"
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #488
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Channing.

I have some of these up in the cabinet over the microwave, and over the small shelf in the wardrobe.

Great for using that empty vertical space, hold things still, and allow you to place your hands quickly on something like a bottle of Tylenol.

They are for spice storage/organization, with very, very sticky backs. They stick so well they are hard to get off.

Good for meds, extra tubes of face and body wash, etc.

Google "spice clips". There are lots available thru different sellers.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #489
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
We came across one of these...a Camco Knife Safe...at an RV dealer years ago, which is still in use in the Interstate.

Very inexpensive, installs easily, widely available, and holds the knife assortment I seem to feel is necessary.

Maggie
That is a great product. I thought about getting something like that, but I'm trying to pare it down to just those pieces that I absolutely need. If only they made one that would also hold utensils as well as knives.

I continue to be amazed at what is NOT for sale to RV-ers such that one must fashion that stuff oneself. There are at least 800,000 RVs on the roads in America alone - the market would seem to be there. And yet if you go to (for instance) RV Wholesalers and look at their "space savers" category, they list just 10 products, of which 4 are slight variations of the same product. Anyway, it's a great business development idea for someone.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #490
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There are at least 800,000 RVs on the roads in America alone - the market would seem to be there. And yet if you go to (for instance) RV Wholesalers and look at their "space savers" category, they list just 10 products, of which 4 are slight variations of the same product.
Between Class As, 5th wheels, and Class Cs with a 10-foot rear overhang behind the axle, apparently it's easier to just provide more space in RVs than it is to save space.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #491
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A lot of space savers are cobbled together from your own imagination and ingenuity, in my experience. You look around, see what will work or fit a need.

We who live in small spaces, permanently or for extended periods, are the real experts, IMO.

I have a need for larger and smaller knives, I think, due to the extended travel thing. I want a paring knife, large and small chopper, bread knife, steak knife, etc.

Also, once you have the knife safe, so space-economical, there are all those slots to fill up. It's what we tend to do...fill available spaces.

I use one drawer in the galley for table ware and one for cooking utensils. I like to cook, want to have what I want to use, within reason.

Maggie
Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #492
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Non-destructive, space-saving method for mounting a windshield sun shade on the ceiling of the Interstate (no holes drilled, no extra apparatus needed). Details given in the post.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: SUN SHADE HOLDER FOR AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_0520.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	229314  
Old 12-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #493
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, the newer versions have a cabinet over the front row of seats.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #494
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Which is where I store my sunshade when I'm not using it, and a big umbrella, and spare wiper blades, a hiking stick, etc.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #495
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The operative word is "versions". Even Interstates produced in the same model year show substantial differences depending on lay-out. My purpose is never to suggest that anyone attempt a one-for-one idea replication. More like it's a general stimulation-of-thought exercise. Some of these ideas may prompt folks to think along the lines of, "Hey, if she did [that] with hers, then I bet I could do [this] with mine."
Old 12-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #496
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
[QUOTE=jerhofer;1553666]I installed the second cabinet today. There is still storage on each side of the cabinets for tall items and areas behind both cabinets for small things. The center is still open for storage as is the recessed storage area. It is even more tempting now to install an overhead cabinet between the two vertical cabinets!! I am still waiting for the cabinet knobs that match the ones on the overhead cabinets.

The door pulls arrived from Airstream so I could complete the cabinet installation.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #497
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Partial cross-post from the Restoration / Cabinets etc. forum, as this issue falls into multiple topic categories.

I'm looking for information and ideas on maximizing the storage efficiency of the "triangular" overhead cabinets that appear to be common to most Airstreams whether trailer or motorhome. Their shapes are challenging to work with.

Our first idea was to create cubbies for the storage of my clothing in one of the cabinets, the idea being to take advantage of every cubic inch of space. I'm pleased with the result, and I've linked the DIY instructions here.

One cabinet down, six to go. Other ideas? Other threads on this subject? By common sense this question must have been asked before, but when I run searches, I don't find anything specific.

Thanks!

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: MAXIMIZING 'TRIANGULAR' AIRSTREAM CABINET EFFICIENCY, PART 1: CLOTHING
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141228_CUBBIES_FINISHED_annot.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	229408  
Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #498
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice work, jerhofer! I'm going to be interested to hear how well these stay in place on the road.

IB, clever idea, but I see lots of unused space between those pipes.

To me, the "squish factor" is critical and required, whenever possible, for anything inside the cabinets, as by definition items then fit available space, however that may be shaped.

Instead of something rigid, and if you want to keep items separated, might instead wrap things in that waffle-ey shelf liner that you can buy by the big rolls. This would allow items to nestle together, also leave a very small wrapper once the clothing item was removed. Just a thought.

Doug folded, then rolled, his tshirts for his cabinet, which worked well for him and used space efficiently.

I liked to hang most of my tops, use packing bags in the cabinet for undergarments.... which keep items sorted according to type but still squish into available space.

We use larger packing bags for jeans/pants, and a smattering of off season clothing to dress ourselves appropriately, when weather is unseasonably warm or cold.

These can go in the bottom of the closet or under the benches.....again, they squish together to use all available space and when the benches go down for a bed at night.

We took the pedestal table out and left it in the garage after the first trip. It was annoyingly large and unwieldy, and took up one entire under-bench area. Never looked back nor missed it.

Learned to eat without a table, or use a picnic table, picked up one of those small, roll-up aluminum ones for use when needed, and I now have the small storage ottoman which fits perfectly between the rear benches and doubles as a small table. Love it.

Maggie
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #499
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Nice work, jerhofer! I'm going to be interested to hear how well these stay in place on the road.Maggie
We will find out next week as we will be traveling to Florida. With four screws mounting each cabinet to the floor and two mounting it to the overhead cabinet, I don't think they will move.

I began packing for next week's trip yesterday and I am already appreciating the reduced clutter in the rear area. Previously I would have to move a number of things to get to something I needed. Now most of those things are on a shelf inside the cabinets.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #500
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Small Space Living

Quote:
Nice work, jerhofer! I'm going to be interested to hear how well these stay in place on the road.

IB, clever idea, but I see lots of unused space between those pipes.

To me, the "squish factor" is critical and required, whenever possible, for anything inside the cabinets, as by definition items then fit available space, however that may be shaped.

Instead of something rigid, and if you want to keep items separated, might instead wrap things in that waffle-ey shelf liner that you can buy by the big rolls. This would allow items to nestle together, also leave a very small wrapper once the clothing item was removed. Just a thought.

Doug folded, then rolled, his tshirts for his cabinet, which worked well for him and used space efficiently.

I liked to hang most of my tops, use packing bags in the cabinet for undergarments.... which keep items sorted according to type but still squish into available space.

We use larger packing bags for jeans/pants, and a smattering of off season clothing to dress ourselves appropriately, when weather is unseasonably warm or cold.

These can go in the bottom of the closet or under the benches.....again, they squish together to use all available space and when the benches go down for a bed at night.

We took the pedestal table out and left it in the garage after the first trip. It was annoyingly large and unwieldy, and took up one entire under-bench area. Never looked back nor missed it.

Learned to eat without a table, or use a picnic table, picked up one of those small, roll-up aluminum ones for use when needed, and I now have the small storage ottoman which fits perfectly between the rear benches and doubles as a small table. Love it.

Maggie

Great practical tips Maggie! Currently packing for our winter snowbird escapee and never packed the Airstream for multi- seasonal wardrobe. Although I have over time become a travel minimalist with two week plus air travel with only a "carry-on".... Airstreaming and camping for new upcoming adventure is a bit challenging! We are planning to head southwest in four days for 2 -3 months!
You have been such an inspiration to me...Happy New Year!
Kind regards,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote