Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #641
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
butter

[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1641563]I have a small, square, Rubbermaid container that I use for butter on the road.

It seals tightly, and rides well in the dishpan when driving.

I use the small Rubbermaids for butter also.. work fine, 1/2 cube at a time... I keep two going, one in fridge, one out... gail
Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #642
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just fixing my breakfast, I thought to myself...."I need to post this on Small Space Living"!

I am not a big milk drinker, period, but do like it on oatmeal, mueslix.....and, a favorite summer breakfast....cold, cooked quinoa, topped with fresh blueberries. .

I discovered this little item last year.....shelf stable and sold in 4 packs @ 8 oz each.

Just lightly sweetened, it negates the need for any sugar, and is pretty darned good.

Takes up so little space in storage, and in the frig.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	241561  
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #643
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Maggie, I agree. That Silk Almond Milk is good.

And, speaking of butter storage, we have this neat little gadget:

Buttermate

Makes slicing off little pads of cold, hard butter a snap! Handy measure, too.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #644
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very cute!

I use a butter bell at home, but carrying that in the Interstate just doesn't work.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #645
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Maggie, I agree. That Silk Almond Milk is good.

And, speaking of butter storage, we have this neat little gadget:

Buttermate

Makes slicing off little pads of cold, hard butter a snap! Handy measure, too.
I like this and was even considering purchasing it. However, the item is $6.99 and shipping is $11.86. I can't remember the last time I paid that much for shipping. But what concerns me is when I click on the Contact Us link, it doesn't work. Too bad, I really like the product.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #646
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might find it at a Kitchen Collection store at one of the Outlet Malls.

They have all kinds of nifty things....one of those places I need to stay out of.

Maggie
Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #647
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I like this and was even considering purchasing it. However, the item is $6.99 and shipping is $11.86. I can't remember the last time I paid that much for shipping. But what concerns me is when I click on the Contact Us link, it doesn't work. Too bad, I really like the product.
Amazon has it. Amazon.com: KitchenArt 32000 Gourmet ButterMate, White: Measuring Cups: Kitchen & Dining

If so, do you have Amazon Prime which would get you free shipping?

I don't remember where we got ours. I think we found it at an estate sale we were helping with. (I wouldn't pay $11+ dollars for shipping a small hunk of plastic, either.)
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #648
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
*LLLLLLLLOVE* this idea, the credit for which goes mostly to FCloud9 on the WDYGFYTT thread.

This is an "Advanced Elements 10-Liter Portable Foldup Pocket Sink with Carry Bag" inserted into the Dometic sink to serve the function of a basin or dishpan, except it collapses down to something about the size of a corn tortilla (but a bit thicker). Its stuff sack is tethered to it; that could be snipped off or moved around to the rear of the sink for greater convenience vs. what is shown in my quick photos here.

These portable nylon sinks get widely panned in internet reviews because they tend to slump over and catastrophically disgorge their water, making huge messes in the process. But if placed in the Dometic, no slumping will occur due to the support the sink provides.

I am partial to boondocking and I don't want to fill up the small grey water tank quickly. This allows easy exterior dumping of wash waters. I'm also noticing that public campgrounds tend to have electrical and water hook-ups but not wastewater (unless you get in line at a central dump station). Another reason to conserve grey water tank space.

FCloud9 actually referenced a Sea To Summit sink model, but after reading the reviews online, I noticed that a few users recommended this one because they claimed it was just as effective while being half the price. For fifteen bucks, can't beat it.

Advanced Elements 10-Liter Portable Foldup Pocket Sink with Carry Bag | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_0195.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	241795   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	241796  

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #649
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
*LLLLLLLLOVE* this idea, the credit for which goes mostly to FCloud9 on the WDYGFYTT thread.

This is an "Advanced Elements 10-Liter Portable Foldup Pocket Sink with Carry Bag" inserted into the Dometic sink to serve the function of a basin or dishpan, except it collapses down to something about the size of a corn tortilla (but a bit thicker). Its stuff sack is tethered to it; that could be snipped off or moved around to the rear of the sink for greater convenience vs. what is shown in my quick photos here.

These portable nylon sinks get widely panned in internet reviews because they tend to slump over and catastrophically disgorge their water, making huge messes in the process. But if placed in the Dometic, no slumping will occur due to the support the sink provides.

I am partial to boondocking and I don't want to fill up the small grey water tank quickly. This allows easy exterior dumping of wash waters. I'm also noticing that public campgrounds tend to have electrical and water hook-ups but not wastewater (unless you get in line at a central dump station). Another reason to conserve grey water tank space.

FCloud9 actually referenced a Sea To Summit sink model, but after reading the reviews online, I noticed that a few users recommended this one because they claimed it was just as effective while being half the price. For fifteen bucks, can't beat it.

Advanced Elements 10-Liter Portable Foldup Pocket Sink with Carry Bag | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation

Hi Interblog,
Good find! How was the transfer of grey dish water to black tank or outside? I only purchased mine before our last camping and did not yet carry "full to the brim" collapsible for disposal. We are leaving in AM for beach trip and camping at state park w/o hookups....I have lots of disposables but will likely be using my new sink this week. Sea To Summit 10 L model folds up and packs into 6" circle and easily stows away under the sink.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #650
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hi Interblog,
Good find! How was the transfer of grey dish water to black tank or outside? I only purchased mine before our last camping and did not yet carry "full to the brim" collapsible for disposal. We are leaving in AM for beach trip and camping at state park w/o hookups....I have lots of disposables but will likely be using my new sink this week. Sea To Summit 10 L model folds up and packs into 6" circle and easily stows away under the sink.
So far I've only done experimentation, but it seems like it's going to be a snap. I started by looping one of the handles over the faucet just to make sure it did not slump in the sink while being filled, but there really wasn't any problem with that. I put about 2 gallons of clean water in it, took it outside of the Interstate, and dumped it over the windshield of my unsuspecting teenager who was waiting for me in another vehicle at our storage facility. No problems!

I guess it could be used to flush the commode / black tank upon dumping as well... I also have a collapsible bucket that I had intended to be used for that purpose, but it does not fit well in the sink. This would work better.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #651
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is an especially great idea for those with sink covers, where whatever dishpan you have must be removed to cover the sink.

Anything that collapses......such a great idea.

I had a collapsible bucket, but it did not weather well.....extremes of temps caused it to crack and leak, so might bring it inside for the winter.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #652
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
In the "unexpected find" category, this candidate for best hot/humid weather boondocking bed sheets: Mainstays "Microfiber" (=euphemism for polyester) sets at Walmart. Less than twenty bucks for a set of the queen size that fits the Interstate. For the set. Walmart might as well be giving them away.

I will omit my copious research. Suffice it to say that:

(1) none of the "cool wick" or "quick dry" cutting edge technology bed sheets seem to be living up to their claims in internet reviews. Someone correct me if you think I'm missing something here, but the real world users report numerous flaws that make those products not worth their much higher prices.

(2) 100% cotton is my hands-down winner in my stick house, where I run A/C. But if I'm boondocking in the deep south in summer, it won't work. Last week I literally woke up in Jasper Texas with my cotton sheets physically adhered to my body from the dampness. Cotton is sometimes referred to as "death cloth" by backcountry enthusiasts. It keeps you hot when it's hot outside, it keeps you cold when it's cold outside, and it keeps you wet when it's wet outside. It will not dry out in high humidity. That trip was my inspiration for today's research and purchase.

Another bonus - Mainstays comes with their own stuff sack and weighs only 2.5 pounds for the queen set. Much lighter than my cotton. And they come in black. I like black because I usually boondock with ten bleeding mosquito bites and the stains are not visible on black. Plus if you need to do a quick dry, put black sheets in the summer sun for just a few minutes and they will heat themselves up and get refreshed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	242202  
Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #653
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go.......WalMart!!!

Maggie
Old 07-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #654
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Collapsible cone for potential road hazard situations BUT this small space idea also comes with a big space question:

Am I correct in presuming that if I rent a pull-through spot in an RV park, that spot is "my" space for the duration of contract?

The Interstate being as small as it is, it does not dominate a pull-through location that was designed to accommodate up to a Class A. Therefore what I've noticed is people cutting through my spot!! Even if I park more toward the center of it, they still make it their business to squeeze through on the side of the Interstate that does not have the hook-ups coming out of it.

One time, I stepped out of my sliding door and WOOSH - a vehicle came barreling through and I almost got run over in my own spot. The other favorite thing that people do is come roaring through in the middle of the night, some diesel dually or whatever within inches of my open windows, waking me from a dead sleep and scaring the hell out of me.

I wondered if maybe a cone or two would help to confirm territorial expectations. Like, follow the danged park road and go around the turn to the other side like everyone else, instead of cutting through.

Or am I misguided in my assumptions? Anyone else have any experience with this type of situation?

Cone is thirteen bucks at the disgorger of so many useful items - Walmart. I plan to Sharpie my name, vehicle make and phone number on it to discourage pilferers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_0257.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	242888  
Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #655
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Collapsible cone for potential road hazard situations BUT this small space idea also comes with a big space question:

Am I correct in presuming that if I rent a pull-through spot in an RV park, that spot is "my" space for the duration of contract?
I have six of those cones, three in my Interstate and three in my toad. Except the ones I have are lighted for improved nighttime visibility. The light is inside the cone so the whole cone glows orange.

Having a toad, I don't suffer the indignities and dangers of people using my campsite as a roadway, because I can park my toad to block access. But placing traffic cones to mark out a safe space for outdoor activities is a perfectly valid strategy for those who don't have a toad to use as a roadblock.

Setting out a folding table and lawn chairs and a portable grill can also help, and if someone runs over them they're more likely to damage their RV or tow vehicle in the process than if they just run over a collapsible cone; though of course it doesn't do the furniture much good, either!

Putting out your awning accomplishes the same thing, provided it's not too windy. That's one drawback to the auto-retract awnings— you can't hang a light on your awning to make it more visible lest the awning retract itself before you can remove the light. But some reflective tape applied to each end of the awning's leading edge end caps is probably a good idea for the auto-retract awnings.

A patio mat also helps delineate your space visually, without placing a physical barrier. Carefree makes some lightweight mats that allow water (and dust) to pass right through and won't kill the grass or weeds under it. Even though my awning is only 8×13, I use a patio mat that's 8×20 so it stretches nearly the entire length of the van.

The key to parking in a larger space than you need for your dinky little van is to occupy as much of the space as possible with peripheral equipment. If you don't claim it as yours, other people will claim it as theirs.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #656
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have six of those cones, three in my Interstate and three in my toad. ....
Good (but mostly bad) to hear that I'm not the only Interstate owner subjected to this indignity. At first I thought I was seeing things - waitaminute, did someone just drive straight through my campsite? When an easy park road was right in front of them? Who does that?? Worst of all, I think some of them were drunk off their vacay rear ends to the point where they couldn't tell a pull-through from a road even if they had wanted to be courteous. That's even more dangerous.

At one point, I began thinking less in terms of carrying lawn furniture and more in terms of investing in some tire spikes. I have thought about the patio mat but hadn't gotten around to investigating it due to the space issue. A tube under the chassis appeals to me as a possibility.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #657

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I have never had anyone try to pull past my AI after it was set up, but I do my best to pick my sites carefully. Unless it is a one night stand, I generally avoid pull through sites for that very reason. The AI is handy enough to back in or out (assuming I have dismounted the toad and and unhitched the tow dolly first) that it presents no problem and pretty well obviates someone trying to pull past or around my parked AI and/or toad.

I did see a jacked-up six pack monster truck wannabe squeeze around a very large fifth wheel camper camped near me in a Colorado campground. In the process the wannabe managed to run over some of the fifth wheel's lawn furniture and pull off its awning. It took the local sheriff 15 or 20 minutes to get there, but when we left town a few days later, the wannabe and its accompanying trailer rig were parked in back of the county jail. (reminded me of the old C. W. McCall song Four Wheel Drive.) That was one of life's satisfying little moments.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #658
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I did see a jacked-up six pack monster truck wannabe squeeze around a very large fifth wheel camper camped near me in a Colorado campground. In the process the wannabe managed to run over some of the fifth wheel's lawn furniture and pull off its awning. It took the local sheriff 15 or 20 minutes to get there, but when we left town a few days later, the wannabe and its accompanying trailer rig were parked in back of the county jail. (reminded me of the old C. W. McCall song Four Wheel Drive.) That was one of life's satisfying little moments.
I had to laugh when I read this part. But you might want to be careful using technical terms like "jacked-up six pack monster truck wannabe". Even though that is a precise and accurate description of a very well-documented (and in fact self-promoted and fully-commercialized) social phenomenon, there are folks in this forum who object strenuously to any discussion of it because, you know, not everyone believes it is proper to talk about "what is", even when the "what is" presents a very real threat to your life and/or property both on the road and in campgrounds.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #659
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
InterBlog-- Heck, no. Is this some kind of Texas thing? But then Canadians have a reputation for being agonizingly polite. Or finding narrow campsites sided with big boulders and trees.

Setting up a bunch of folding lawn chairs next to your unit seems like a great idea--or possibly a children's inflatable plastic swimming pool filled with water. Or maybe inflatable children to put in the chairs. (I know you folks are short on storage space.) But I'd get these items at your local thrift shop, just in case anyone inconsiderate enough to blast through your campsite doesn't pay attention them.

Or maybe park your Interstate at a sufficient angle that it blocks off the parking pad more.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #660
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
InterBlog-- Heck, no. Is this some kind of Texas thing? But then Canadians have a reputation for being agonizingly polite. Or finding narrow campsites sided with big boulders and trees.

Setting up a bunch of folding lawn chairs next to your unit seems like a great idea--or possibly a children's inflatable plastic swimming pool filled with water. Or maybe inflatable children to put in the chairs. (I know you folks are short on storage space.) But I'd get these items at your local thrift shop, just in case anyone inconsiderate enough to blast through your campsite doesn't pay attention them.

Or maybe park your Interstate at a sufficient angle that it blocks off the parking pad more.
LOL I like the swimming pool idea! I could use it for my dog! And an inflatable swimming pool doesn't weigh anything or take up space!

Actually the vast majority of people in the deep south are extremely polite. It's just that there is a distinct minority, usually conforming to defined social stereotypes, that defies all social convention and makes it their business to be invasive and obnoxious.

I would of course prefer NOT to book pull-throughs with an Interstate, but I typically have no choice due to time constraints associated with family responsibilities. My husband and I both have jobs and we have a non-driving child living at home who goes to school year-round (including summer school), has extracurricular activities on weekends, etc. If I can get away for even a single overnight, it's an unprecedented miracle. I have to take what I can get in terms of accommodations. My next two target destinations also offer pull-through spots only, which is why I was wondering what my next tactical moves ought to be.