Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Propane tank won't fill

My van has been sitting with an empty propane tank for about two months on the driveway.
This morning I went to fill the tank and the tank would not fill. It was trying to fill but it was almost like a blockage.
After several tries we slowly got just over a gallon but the guy said he didn't want to do any more. He didn't charge me for the gallon.
Any ideas what may be wrong ?
Thanks
Colin
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The new tanks have a limiting mechanize in them that may get stuck. I am surprised that when you started to get flow that it did not fill. I would take it to a propane dealer rather than a filling station and have them look at it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The new tanks have a limiting mechanize in them that may get stuck. I am surprised that when you started to get flow that it did not fill. I would take it to a propane dealer rather than a filling station and have them look at it.
This is an older unit, my van is a 2005 , would it have the same issues as you suggest?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcolin2u View Post
My van has been sitting with an empty propane tank for about two months on the driveway.
This morning I went to fill the tank and the tank would not fill. It was trying to fill but it was almost like a blockage.
After several tries we slowly got just over a gallon but the guy said he didn't want to do any more. He didn't charge me for the gallon.
Any ideas what may be wrong ?
Thanks
Colin
The fill connection has a check valve in it.

Obviously it's some what stuck.

You can try to fix it by taking a blunt stick or so, place on end of it on the inside of the fill connector, and tap the other end of it with a hammer. Do that several times.

That should release the "frozen in place".

CAUTION

Don't try anything unless your a good distance from any flame or spark.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, I'm not so sure that I'd not want to get the whole valve repaired or renewed. I had the unfortunate experience of disconnecting from one that became stuck in the open position. It was not pretty.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The fill connection has a check valve in it.

Obviously it's some what stuck.

You can try to fix it by taking a blunt stick or so, place on end of it on the inside of the fill connector, and tap the other end of it with a hammer. Do that several times.

That should release the "frozen in place".

CAUTION

Don't try anything unless your a good distance from any flame or spark.

Andy
Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It may not be the backflow preventer in the filler valve.

In order for propane to flow into the ASE tank on an Intertate, you need to have the "fixed maximum liquid level gauge" open. This is a screw-type valve with a neoprene disk at the end, and it's not the same as the OPD valve (relief valve). It vents vapor while the liquid propane is flowing into the tank through the filler valve. When liquid propane starts coming out the gauge, you close the gauge and disconnect the fill nozzle.

If the guy filling your tank didn't know to open the fixed maximum liquid level gauge while he was filling the tank, then you should take your business elsewhere. Anyone who is licensed to dispense propane will know what the gauge is and how to use it.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
I went back to another fill station and I asked the guy to make sure the brass relief valve next to the fill valve was open, he told me it was. It was doing the same as the other place and filling really S L O W >> After getting a couple of gallons I asked him to stop < i think he was getting impatient and I have enough for the weekend.
I still need to find out what is wrong though.
Thanks to all for suggestions ..
Colin
Old 09-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Most dealers and fill stations will not fill the old style valve tanks.
It is quick and relatively inexpensive to have it replaced and the tank pressure tested.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
It is quick and relatively inexpensive to have it replaced and the tank pressure tested.
Where would I get this done ?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The ASME tanks on an Interstate are not "old style." They have OPD valves and everything and meet all current requirements. They're just not removable like DOT cylinders are.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Inland Andy ID'd the root issue, and I am the type that would follow this particular advice.

But I feel the BEST solution for most people is to have the tank valve replaced, and move on. That way you would not have to constantly revisit the problem.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Most people don't no but on opd there is a screw on side that you turn it with screw driver will let vapor vent, when full, it is same as old style valves with thumb screw. I used to fill my propane tanks from large cylinder this way as you do not have to pump propane into small tanks. Most places fill to what ever size cyl. you have and chge. full rate that is a ripoff paying for gas you did not get, rather than weigh then fill and only charge for amount they put in.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Most people don't no but on opd there is a screw on side that you turn it with screw driver will let vapor vent, when full, it is same as old style valves with thumb screw.
On ASME tanks it's separate from the OPD valve, and you don't need a screwdriver to turn it.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My propane source meters the amount as it goes in the tank. Just pay for the number of gallons that go in the tank.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Had a brand new Worthington 20# that the check valve/ OPD stuck. I'd just finished polishing so they looked really good. The propane guy flipped it upside down and banged it a couple of times on the ground. He stopped when I let out a "That was my Christmas gift!" it filled fine after that. I'd go with Andy's approach.

Good luck,

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
Had a brand new Worthington 20# that the check valve/ OPD stuck. I'd just finished polishing so they looked really good. The propane guy flipped it upside down and banged it a couple of times on the ground. He stopped when I let out a "That was my Christmas gift!" it filled fine after that. I'd go with Andy's approach.
Just had a mental flash of the propane filler flipping the OP's four-ton Airstream Interstate upside down and banging it on the ground to shake loose the valve! Too funny!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I would just get a new valve changed by a certified dealer, have the tank inspected and move on. If it won't take propane I would stop immediately and get it fixed properly. No boom is a good thing.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Just what I expressed earlier; +1 for Tater
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #19
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Interesting that most of the replies come from Airstream TRAVEL TRAILER people. This post started about an underbody permanently mounted horizontal propane tank. Slightly different from the travel trailer kind that can be removed and easily looked at and worked on.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Interesting that most of the replies come from Airstream TRAVEL TRAILER people. This post started about an underbody permanently mounted horizontal propane tank. Slightly different from the travel trailer kind that can be removed and easily looked at and worked on.
The convenience of access does not change the characteristics of the valve in question. The government had this great idea that we should all have a valve that failed more often then the older valve. That is progress.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote