Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
"You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me" Moment

Decided to check my generator oil and realized 2 things.

1) to unscrew the dipstick it hits on some kind of LP attachment and has to push it out of the way a little with each turn.

2) I can not remove the dipstick to check the oil without lowering the spare tire WTH

So, I guess I will loosen the spare just a little and see if I can get the dipstick out
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, to get it all in/on a van, there are concessions made to convenience. It's just the way it is, the price you pay for being so compact.

Our generator is accessed from underneath our Interstate, and has to be on a lift/dropped down to service. Requires a trip to the Onan service center, for us.

There is an on/off switch accessible, tho, by crawling and laying underneath.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Its best to use a long drain oil in these situations.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Yep....learned this during my "day I took it home" instructions at the dealer. The service tech giving us our walk-through told me he would do everything on the Airstream side of our Interstate EXCEPT any checkout or service of the generator. He explained, and showed me, how difficult it is to get access to the generator...then gave me the name andnumber of the local Onan service center.......at least he tld me to my face and not over the phone. Forwarned is forearmed.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Just wait until you have to jack it up to fix/change a tire....the jack-points are blocked by the propane tank....
Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
OK, Done.

Move out to street and put leveling blocks on curb side to get it close to level. Driveway is sloped. Lowered spare tire and checked oil.

The good news is after almost 14 hours, oil is full. Will change at 20 hours as per onan manual.

At least I got the accessing the spare tire out of the way. I always like to know exactly what to do, if, or when I get a flat. Not that I will ever attempt to change one of these, at least I can get the spare out.

Looks like Airstream could have drilled/mounted the winch assembly an inch or two farther back and I wouldn't have had to mess with the tire just to check the oil.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
What I learned is that Airstream and probably other motorhome manufacturers never actually have the engineers live in them and test them under ALL conditions. If they did maybe they would build them slightly different.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
What I learned is that Airstream and probably other motorhome manufacturers never actually have the engineers live in them and test them under ALL conditions. If they did maybe they would build them slightly different.
+1 to that.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That living with the item access applies to accessing items on airplanes just as much as the trailers. Eight man hours to change an alternator on a Cessna Skymaster rear engine....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Well.....I am having one of those moments here on the road. The big question....winterizing. When I had my walk through on purchase, we BRIEFLY discussed winterizing. Now that I am facing it as a practical issue I have discovered just how much of a pain it is to access the water pump. What moron plumbed that thing where it is? I MAY be able to disconnect the discharge side, but even that will require some contortions I haven't done since my karate days. The suction side is buried under the drain from the sink. WTH
I really really really do not want to put antifreeze in the FW tank, but at the moment I see no alternative.
Any words of wisdom from those in the know.....before I set myself up for multiple flushes each time I dewinterize.
I remember my service tech saying "just bring it by and we'll do it.....that's fine when I am in town, but as anyone who travels knows......I DID NOT BUY THIS THING TO STAY IN TOWN.
If I do anything, I am having a kit installed to take care of this. I said "having... installed" because there is no way I can get in position to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Well.....I am having one of those moments here on the road. The big question....winterizing. When I had my walk through on purchase, we BRIEFLY discussed winterizing. Now that I am facing it as a practical issue I have discovered just how much of a pain it is to access the water pump. What moron plumbed that thing where it is? I MAY be able to disconnect the discharge side, but even that will require some contortions I haven't done since my karate days. The suction side is buried under the drain from the sink. WTH
I really really really do not want to put antifreeze in the FW tank, but at the moment I see no alternative.
Any words of wisdom from those in the know.....before I set myself up for multiple flushes each time I dewinterize.
I remember my service tech saying "just bring it by and we'll do it.....that's fine when I am in town, but as anyone who travels knows......I DID NOT BUY THIS THING TO STAY IN TOWN.
If I do anything, I am having a kit installed to take care of this. I said "having... installed" because there is no way I can get in position to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Ha.../dp/B0006IX7YW
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks for the info Overlander. Just ordered one. Should be here in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Although....I gotta admit that 'cheap vodka' suggestion I received was mighty tempting 😊

Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't know if you can hook up shore power but if you can, you can turn on the tank heaters and put a small heater inside to just keep it above freezing. Doesn't take much unless you're in the Arctic.

Works for me before the end of soccer season and then I winterize.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Now that I am facing it as a practical issue I have discovered just how much of a pain it is to access the water pump. What moron plumbed that thing where it is? I MAY be able to disconnect the discharge side, but even that will require some contortions I haven't done since my karate days. The suction side is buried under the drain from the sink.
Dumb question— and remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people asking them— can you unbolt the whole pump and pull it out far enough to disconnect the suction side?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Protagonist...that definitely falls into the "forest for the trees" category. I am going to take a look at that in the morning. If there is enough slack in the suction line I will put the "kit" in there. .......silently skulking away...nursing the stinging sensation from my forehead slap.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #17
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I solved the generator problem. Traded off pour Interstate for a Roadtrek CS Adventurous with engine generator and no propane.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I solved the generator problem. Traded off pour Interstate for a Roadtrek CS Adventurous with engine generator and no propane.
I prefer to drop the tire vs. losing what you lost on your trade in.

I also can't for the love of god figure out why RT puts those fake windows above the windshield
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They must have moved the spare or the generator on the newer models as I can just remove the access panel and then unscrew the dipstick and remove to check the oil level. Replacing the oil did require a suction gun tho.

I agree on the fake windows. So did the salesman I talked to.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Can't quite get the dipstick out without lowering just a little and then pushing the tire just an inch or two.