Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Propane flex hoses have limited lifespan

Thread keyword reference - ppropane. Spelled incorrectly on purpose to improve future searchability.

I went back more than a year, used Google separately, and cannot find the thread where we debated the lifespan of the propane lines that are not copper. The lines that are hoses and a lot of them are manufactured by the company called Parker. The ones that have something like a 5 year life expectancy (per a Parker rep with whom I spoke on the phone).

Anyway, on another forum there was an apparent line breach similar to what has been reported on a couple of older Interstates, that story excerpted as follows, because it's worth reading:

"I went ahead and went to a filling station (uhaul to be specific, has propane refills), and the guy connected his hose, opened the bleeder valve (if it's called something different oh well) , and then turned his machine on.

Almost immediately , propane started pouring out from under the coach, where the horizontal tank is located. Big cloud of smoky-ness.
He shut it back off. I was stunned how much immediately came back out and went under the coach, checked to make sure the fill hose went straight into the tank (it did), and came back out, made sure the propane supply switch was turned OFF this time, and he tried again. Same thing. He pumped 1.9 gallons and I paid him $4.98 and left dumbfounded."

That reportedly occurred on a 2001 rig - what do you want to bet that it has original hoses?

Someone is going to die because of this non-communication on hose life expectancy. It's only a matter of time. How much energy would have been released if that 1.9 gallons of spewed propane had ignited with people standing in the middle of it?

Anyway, for thread reference, here is the first blog entry I did following a similar incident involving a friend's Interstate, and here is the follow-up entry I did on our line replacement.

I'll also try to link back any other useful propane hose-related information that I might find after this post. And everyone else please feel free to do similarly, in this thread, which I hope will be searchable. Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Standing in the middle of a Propane fireball is not the way to have a good day.

I'd also suggest that tank ar regulator hoses on Trailers and Motorhomes have the same limited life. My AS in a 2007, and I'm in the process of replacing hoses according to my buddy, "Justin Case"

That must have been a totally scary scene that could have ended far, far worse...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Do not Ignore...👍

^
X2

Spring get ready...removed the 3/4 empty LP tank to get filled...switched to full tank> removed tank, and noticed there was gas coming out the disconnected line. 😳👎
Another symptom...stove and WH iffy slo ignition.

New stainless covered hoses and Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H Excela-Flow Auto Change Regulator.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
... New stainless covered hoses and Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H Excela-Flow Auto Change Regulator. ...
The first thing I did when I realized that our hoses needed to be replaced was research more durable alternatives. Naturally, I wanted equipment that was not so failure-prone.

What I was told was that there were safety reasons why the spec represented by Parker was used on all these vehicles. I can't point to specific references, but I was told verbally that it had to do with protecting people in the event of an accidental hose over-pressure. Rather than blowing up catastrophically and decapitating someone or puncturing something important, the hoses are designed to fail in a "safer" more controlled manner.

But from what limited understanding I have, it's that same built-in weakness that is causing incidents such as described above. The hoses appear to be "safer" for that 5-year window of design lifespan. But then they might get a lot more dangerous if not exchanged for new hoses.

I have no hard evidence to back any of that up. But that appears to be the case based on the limited information I was provided.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I was gabberflasted that the regulator was leaking when switched over...something that could be easily overlooked at the CG when it's time to fill-up...remove one tank and that hose continues to vent regardless of how the valve is set.
Lesson...don't take a chance with things that go...🔥BOOM.🔥

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
First thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-166761.html

You can always find all of your posts under the statistics tab in your profile. I merely searched using "propane + parker" to find your entry.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Not to disagree about lifespan, but the same thing happened to me when I had the propane filled just after purchasing my 2005 Interstate. The technician was new and forgot to open the pressure relief valve.
Only cost me $135.00 to have anew one fabricated because Airstream no longer had this part available. You better believe EVERY time I fill it up I relate my story to the attendant and they usually have a story that outshines mine but it causes them to double check that valve.. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
... The ones that have something like a 5 year life expectancy (per a Parker rep with whom I spoke on the phone). ...
Interblog, can you point us to any off or online source for this purposely built in 5yr obsolescence?
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In aviation circles, flex hoses are permanently marked with the manufacturing date, and have a defined lifespan, at the end of that they are replaced and the old ones scrapped/dismantled so they cannot be reused.

I plan to label the replacements so I know when it was put on the AS in the future. I'll also make notes in the Airstream manuals. I know the current ones date from 2007, and as far as I'm concerned, it's time. All of the propane hoses are no longer easily flexible, and the one from regulator to piping in the AS is checking/cracking on the exposed end under the A-frame from sunlight exposure. I plan to cover it with corrugated wire loom tubing to keep the sun off it somewhat and possibly make it last longer.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
I was gabberflasted that the regulator was leaking when switched over...something that could be easily overlooked at the CG when it's time to fill-up...remove one tank and that hose continues to vent regardless of how the valve is set.
Lesson...don't take a chance with things that go...🔥BOOM.🔥

Bob
🇺🇸

I had the same thing happen. I replaced the regulator with a new Marshall. One year later, the same failure. I got a new one under warranty, but it is good practice to check the removed hose for leakage when disconnecting a tank for refill.

That said, there is propane at tank pressure in the hose and it does take a while to leak out of the small orifice in the end of the fitting.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
what rmkrum said...

… there are those in the aviation world that scoffed at time limits. And while inspection for condition may reveal some buffer in the recommended limits, I figured I am not paid enough to be a test dummy. Change those hoses from time to time.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Vail , Arizona
gccats

I was also uneducated as to life span of flexible hoses used with propane supply.
My 2008 Safari hoses (from regulator to the tank) were leaking. When I removed the 3 lines (2- regulator to tanks, 1- main supply to regulator), they were rigid, not flexible at all!
After replacement, I installed a foam water line insulator around the main supply hose to reduce sun damage.

Good to go!
gccats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Thanks all for the heads up. These hoses just went on my maintenance schedule check list. I am sure my existing one are from 2004 (guaranteed)! They are coming off soon.
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Bob,

Do you know the part number for the hose going from the regulator to the trailer supply line?

Thanks.

Quote:
^
X2

Spring get ready...removed the 3/4 empty LP tank to get filled...switched to full tank> removed tank, and noticed there was gas coming out the disconnected line. 😳👎
Another symptom...stove and WH iffy slo ignition.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I don't have number, but something like THIS should work.
Not sure how long you need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Checked my hoses. All were leaking (bubble test) although slightly. Date codes on hoses were 2002. Ordered new hoses and regulator today from RV Upgrade:

66-8904 Camco 59053 Propane Pigtail Connector - 12"
66-9377 Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 Two Stage Automatic Changeover Regulator $39.68
06-0452 Marshall Excelsior MEGR-862 Automatic Changeover Regulator Cover $1.42
06-0532 JR Products 07-31445 3/8" OEM LP Supply Hose- 36"
66-8621 Camco 10325 RV Gas Leak Detector With Dauber Cap

About $100 bucks with shipping for a 2004 AS Classic. Cheap insurance.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

About $100 bucks with shipping for a 2004 AS Classic. Cheap insurance.
Your parts appear to conform to spec and were one hell of a lot cheaper and easier to obtain than the custom hoses I had fabricated.

If I had a do-over, I might search harder for off-the-shelf replacements. The JR Products 07-31445 is interesting because it is sold in three different lengths. However, three of our hoses were 61", 65", and 78" whereas that product is only listed up to 48".
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Leak Detector

This is a good tool to have on hand, it is very sensitive. I used it to locate a leak in our '89 Excella. DW could smell it but I couldn't so this one saved the day.

Lowe's Item # 74934 Model # PNG2000A $34.48
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak Detector.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	327321  
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I need to see about replacing mine. I think braided is good underneath. Maybe not for a trailer bottle interface...

I’ll have to see if the local hydraulic shop can make them.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I need to see about replacing mine. I think braided is good underneath. Maybe not for a trailer bottle interface...

I’ll have to see if the local hydraulic shop can make them.
Oh yeah, they'll make them (our local hydraulic shop made ours). And they'll charge you an arm and a leg.