Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I need to see about replacing mine. I think braided is good underneath. Maybe not for a trailer bottle interface...

Iíll have to see if the local shop can make them.
POI...'stainless' lines, for abrasion resistance, or as in our case critter nibble resistance. They do require closer inspection as the actual hose is not visible. Small trade-off.
Hydraulic...usually at a much higher pressure, custom made at a much higher price. And if not shielded the critters will still love 'em. 😳
Your choice.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Interblog,

RV Upgrades had a lot of other hoses made by MB Sturgis and JR in longer lengths. The trick is finding the right hose diameter and hardware on each end. The JR Products 07-31445 is 36 inches long, 3/8 inch hose, 1/2 inch female NPT on the supply line end (going into the trailer) and 3/8 inch male NPT on the regulator end. To use it, I was able to eliminate a brass adapter AS put on the regulator end which was a 3/8 inch males NPT to a 3/8 inch male flare. I would think that this hose (or a different length) would work for many of the AirStreams built after 2000 that have two tanks. (2000, however, is just a guess at the date cut-off...)

For those of you looking to update your hoses, take a long, hard look at the RV Upgrades web site for what you need or call them. Their web site is not very user friendly for the LP gas hoses.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=InterBlog
If I had a do-over, I might search harder for off-the-shelf replacements. The JR Products 07-31445 is interesting because it is sold in three different lengths. However, three of our hoses were 61", 65", and 78" whereas that product is only listed up to 48".[/QUOTE]
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oh yeah, they'll make them (our local hydraulic shop made ours). And they'll charge you an arm and a leg.
these guys are ususally pretty reasonable in price. But Iím sure much more than an off the shelf one.
But since I live in the sticks and donít know the connectors required...getting some pre-made ones may be a bit difficult. I donít really want it out of service for a long time. If these guys can make it, I can pull them off, have them make them and put back together the same day.
But perhaps Iíll take a closer look and see if I can discern the connectors and lengths required. I doubt Iíll be able to tell until I take them off though.

mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I removed my old flexible propane hoses and took them to the hydraulic shop in my small town for replacement. They fabricatednew ones while I waited. Removal and replacement including travel time was under four hours.

Now if my SC2030 solar charger arrives today I can finish my current project, solar installation. I've got the panel mounted to the rack and all the wires run including a pair for use with my portable solar suitcase if needed. I am routing both panels thru the SC2030 for maximum utility. Everything will be monitored by my Trimetric TM2030. I think this arrangement will service us nicely.Thanks to Lotus54 for the confidence, inspiration, photographs and also for posting the link to the 2" diameter clamps for the rack.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
.Thanks to Lotus54 for the confidence, inspiration, photographs and also for posting the link to the 2" diameter clamps for the rack.
Iím certainly glad I could help with a bit of info.

Note that the Ďphoneí cable that goes between the monitor and solar controller is a crossover. When I extended mine (they are located separately) I just assumed a Ďstraight throughí. Of course they wouldnít talk. Bogart quickly responded with the information so I could set it straight.

I would like to see pics of what you did.
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Correction the my parts list

I got my parts today from RVUpgrades. I need to correct my parts list. The JR Products 07-31445 is 36 inches long, 3/8 inch hose, 1/2 inch female flare (not 1/2 inch NPT as I thought) on the supply line end (going into the trailer) and 3/8 inch male NPT on the regulator end.

The adapter I made (at Home Depot) was a 1/2 inch male flare to a 1/2 inch male NPT union. This connects to a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch NPT female coupling. This connects to a 5/8 inch male flare with a 1/2 inch male NPT union (which connects to the trailer supply). I know this is confusing, but I did not want to leave everyone thinking that the 07-31445 was a drop in replacement part. Three parts and $15 to make the brass adapter.

Sorry. But everything else worked and is not leaking.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of the pigtails between the tank and regulator on my 1999 started leaking a few days ago, only about 4 years since I installed it new. The original hoses lasted 15+ years, on the tag they were dated 1998. The originals were not leaking when replaced, but were stiff and looking bad when I purchased the trailer.

The replacement I used was made in USA by MB Sturgis. Since I could not find anything better I'm replacing it with the same again. Two new pigtails are in route to me right now.

I'm wondering if this was a fluke defective hose, or is this the norm now?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Someone on another forum claims to have found the elusive "must be replaced every 10 years" statement, not on any propane hoses (which in this context are custom-installed rather than mass-produced, and therefore don't come in packages upon which warnings could be printed) but, rather, on an RV propane regulator package.

I set about re-checking for the existence of such statements from any source. I reviewed Marshall's 39-page catalog and instruction manual (PDF here - Marshall aka MEC is a large RV supplier).

I found no *explicit* statements as to hard-and-fast replacement intervals on any propane product.

However, their materials do contain this general acknowledgment that their products have finite lifespans. Here is some squirmy wording aimed not at the consumers who might get blown up if they accidentally forget to change out their end-of-life propane equipment (for which nobody specified a lifespan to them), but is rather intended for the contractors who install Marshall products. But what about the majority of owners who never have a reason to visit propane equipment installers or contractors?

I am not aware of the legislation to which they elude as putting the onus on owners. Which leaves open the question of how owners are supposed to receive the information that they need to manage this issue safely.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #29
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
With the resurrection of this thread... it's important to understand that on motorhomes there are two kinds of these hoses; the first is the same low-pressure kind that are found in travel trailers on the low-pressure (out) side of the propane pressure regulator. Those hoses feed the appliances and the supply is stopped by turning off the valve (or soleniod valve) at the tank.

The OTHER hose that travel trailers DON'T have, and more problematic, is the high-pressure hose that runs from the fill valve on the side of the van to the tank. There is NO "off" valve for that line, and when it breaches, the entire contents of the tank empty through it, in short order. ANY flame or pilot light at that point will cause a flash-over.

I have had to replace the high pressure lines on both of my motorhomes from failure.