Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
rel
1 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Garrison , North Dakota
Would you please narrow it down a bit... My ipad doesn't show post#'s. What was the subject of post #34 ??? I'm looking for the picture...
rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #42
rel
1 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Garrison , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by relehnherr View Post
Would you please narrow it down a bit... My ipad doesn't show post#'s. What was the subject of post #34 ??? I'm looking for the picture...
. Revise to post 35#...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The link is about 7 posts back. It should show up as a link.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
rel
1 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Garrison , North Dakota
Now I understand... Page 17 in the Fiamma F65 Awning manual...
Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Update to Eagle65 Awning not Extending

So for those following my posts from the Awning issue on the Florida Trip.
Jim Parrett came thru with a Troubleshooting Guide that allowed me to diagnose the problem as a BAD MOTOR.

I've also included pics of the components of the motor; the connector (that appears to have shorted and melted the wires) and how I had to HAND CRANK the awning in since the motor clutch wouldn't work with hand crank.

I'll Post it here in case other have issues.

1. Open the awning about half way. Open manually if needed.
2. Make sure ignition is turned off. (If the awning is wired correctly there should be no power to the awning circuit with the ignition on.)
3. Check terminal A3 on the control unit for voltage. If no voltage is found continue to line 4. If voltage is good, skip to line 6
4. Check relay pin 87 or 87a (check which ever pin OEM used) for voltage. If no voltage is found, continue to line 5. If voltage is present then relay may be damaged or wired incorrectly.
5. Check 16 amp fuse for continuity. If fuse is bad replace fuse and check awning to see if operation is normal. If fuse is good, check and fix connection with battery. Once connection is corrected check for normal operation. If motor does not operate, return to line 3.
6. While extending the awning check terminal A1 for voltage. Also check terminal A2 while retracting the awning.
If no voltage is found, confirm that the switch to extend and retract the awning is wired correctly. If the switch is wired correctly then the control unit may be damaged.
If voltage is found the motor should operate normally. If the motor is not operating then the motor may be damaged. Continue to line 7
7. Check between terminal A5 and B5 for continuity. If continuity exist then micro switch is damaged. If it does not exist then motor is damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Components.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	199276   Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal connector.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	199277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual Retract.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	199278  
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Wow, an aftermarket wiper system motor. It seems that you could find a cheap replacement.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #47
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Warranty. In betting it has a little more torque given the effort it took to ratchet the canopy in.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #48
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Update: still no solution, Fiamma says AS may have wired the awning wrong and has their EE looking into it. Meanwhile I have a trip this weekend - better pack the EZ-UP! Jim at AS is working the case so I have faith they will work it out.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I've also included pics of the components of the motor; the connector (that appears to have shorted and melted the wires) .
My 2 cents without seeing it up close, just from the wiring picture, the insulation on the white/purple and black wires looks damaged (scraped or pinched?), not melted. The insluation on the purple wire seems to have overheated.

From the wiring diagram, the white/purple and purple wires are the high current, forward and reverse wires for the motor. From the Fiamm wiring diagram, everything should be protected by a 16amp fuse feeding the awning system relay. That 16 amp fuse "should" have blown before enough heat was generated to melt those wires.

Is it a 16 amp fuse?
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #50
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
the insulation on the white/purple and black wires looks damaged (scraped or pinched?), not melted. The insluation on the purple wire seems to have overheated.
The wires look scraped because all 3 were melted together, and when I pulled them apart it pulled the insulation off. I'm not completely sure they shorted out, but there is an issue to be sure.

The fuses are factory; I thought it was a 15A (not 16) but I agree. Maybe why Fiamma is asking AS how they wired it; maybe that is the real issue, if they are feeding the controller w/o going thru a fuse box then the wires will melt and the motor will fail.

I'll update as soon as I hear something. My first email to Jim Parrett was only sent on 10/31 so only been 2 weeks w/o solution so far. . . . . we'll see what they come up with.

With it being 4 hours+ one way to AS dealer this isn't something I'm willing to drive 16 hrs (trip to drop off, trip to pick up) to get fixed.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
CHINO HILLS , California
Beeping Sound Caused by the Dual Rate Electronic Alarm

I found the following post regarding the beeping sound on a 2011 Airstream Interstate:

http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorho...tep-going.html

I encountered the same issue when I just purchased my AI. The beeping noise came from a Dual Rate Electronic Alarm. The alarm is for the electric step at the sliding door. The following is the picture of the alarm that I unplugged.

milkfish888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfish888 View Post
I found the following post regarding the beeping sound on a 2011 Airstream Interstate: http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorho...tep-going.html I encountered the same issue when I just purchased my AI. The beeping noise came from a Dual Rate Electronic Alarm. The alarm is for the electric step at the sliding door. The following is the picture of the alarm that I unplugged.
For my future reference, where was this alarm located/how did you get access to it? Thanks,
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
CHINO HILLS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
For my future reference, where was this alarm located/how did you get access to it? Thanks,
David
Hello! David. On the left side of the electric step, there is an open storage "box". You can unscrew this storage "box" and remove it. The alarm is located behind this storage box. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfish888 View Post
Hello! David. On the left side of the electric step, there is an open storage "box". You can unscrew this storage "box" and remove it. The alarm is located behind this storage box. Thanks!
Thank you! Much appreciated
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
This alarm is likely from your awning not the step as we have discussed before on this forum.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
There is a micro switch at the rear end of the awning that indicates when the awning is fully retracted. On mine the leaf on the micro switch had to be bent in order for it to engage and turn off the alarm.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
CHINO HILLS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
This alarm is likely from your awning not the step as we have discussed before on this forum.
You might be right. However, after I purchased the 2011 Airstream Interstate, I never used the awning. I presumed the alarm is for the electric door because it is close to it. Thanks!

Solomon
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You might try extending the awning a foot or two and then retracting and holding the button for just a second or two after it's fully retracted. Traveling may have vibrated the awning enough to cause the micro switch to open and trigger the alarm.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
On my 2012, the step and the awning have separate alarms, making different sounds (step is one beep per second from near the sliding door, awning is an intermittent squawk from under the passenger seat), but apparently newer models have just one alarm for both step and awning.

On mine, the step alarm only activates when there is some unidentified something blocking the step from retracting fully (even if it looks fully retracted, it's still not making good contact with the limit switch). Initially surprisingly to me, a hard stop on an incline usually causes the step to jar itself into the correct position and shut off the alarm.

Awning alarm will squawk at me sometimes when I hit a bump, pothole, or pavement joint hard enough to make the awning vibrate; the only thing holding the awning in the closed position is the tension on the fabric, and fabric stretches slightly under a load.

If I'm on a bad road and can't keep the awning alarm from intermittently squawking due to the vibration (all too common in Louisiana, home of bad roads), I'll stop the vehicle, get out my portable ladder, and wrap a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands around the front and rear ends of the awning to hold it closed until I get to my destination.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You might try bending the leaf slightly on the micro switch at the tail end of the awning to eliminate this inadvertent tripping of the alarm. At least that worked for me and I've gone 10,000 miles without a false trip of the buzzer.